TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks!

I have a 3D printer that doesn't get enough use, maybe it can help some here! Great for small-to-medium sized parts, and the plastic is surprisingly strong, extremely light.

I have several rolls of PLA to print with: Clear, Black, White, Blue, Neon Green, Neon Orange, Neon Pink. If you need a different color (they even make some glow-in-the-dark stuff!), please don't hesitate to order a roll and ship it to me :D ;)

Can print up to about 12cm x 8cm x 8cm easily, or larger with some special setup.

Shipping cost, 25cents per cc, and patience while I do a million other projects, are all I'd ask for, happy to help out!

If you have questions/ideas, feel free to ask. I can also help with basic 3d modeling/design stuff.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Put me down for a rack. Don't give a racks ass what color it is. It'll be loaded up and covered anyway. Sure this could help some members thanks for throwing it out there. And ya I still want one of those bad ass racks VG whipped up. :headbang::headbang::headbang:

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I am not up to speed on these 3D printers. Can you post a couple picture of the kinds of things you can do with it?

GaryL

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
Here's the last one I did, both the drawing (a small part/piece of a huge drawing I did), a drip lip..

Drawn with Sketch-Up -- ->Free from Google.. Although it took me weeks to learn to use it and export the files properly to a printer.

The other parts were sheet metal, the drip edge was printed as a prototype that was eventually extruded from aluminum.
DripLip.jpg

This is the part after it was printed from the above drawing.
LipPrinted.jpg

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I still find this process hard to understand. To make that drip edge piece on a CNC router you would start with a block of plastic as thick and wide as the finished piece needs to be and start removing material from the block. How exactly does a 3D printer make this piece?

GaryL

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts

I still find this process hard to understand. To make that drip edge piece on a CNC router you would start with a block of plastic as thick and wide as the finished piece needs to be and start removing material from the block. How exactly does a 3D printer make this piece?

GaryL

·
Registered
13,654 Posts
It's cheaper and faster for prototyping. Nowadays they can print with stainless steal.. not just plastics.
I think member lbxr had a friend to a 3D print for an extension on the front sprocket so you could drop in a 225 engine without all the engine parts removal and transfering. I think there was good initial feedback but haven't heard any updated feedback...probably because it's winter and those who are using it aren't riding much.

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
I've been waiting for that reply as well. I was skeptic that the tolerances would be good enough, the durability good enough but I wish them the best of luck and would buy one if it worked..:)

I think member lbxr had a friend to a 3D print for an extension on the front sprocket so you could drop in a 225 engine without all the engine parts removal and transfering. I think there was good initial feedback but haven't heard any updated feedback...probably because it's winter and those who are using it aren't riding much.

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
I have the engine waiting too ;)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Put me down for a rack. Don't give a racks ass what color it is. It'll be loaded up and covered anyway. Sure this could help some members thanks for throwing it out there. And ya I still want one of those bad ass racks VG whipped up. :headbang::headbang::headbang:
Ah, well...if you want a 12cm by 8cm rack, sure! :D

GaryL[/QUOTE]

Here's the last one I did, both the drawing (a small part/piece of a huge drawing I did), a drip lip..

The other parts were sheet metal, the drip edge was printed as a prototype that was eventually extruded from aluminum.
View attachment 78362

This is the part after it was printed from the above drawing.
View attachment 78370
Neat, good example! Nice work with SketchUp, too- that's a great tool.

Maybe I should figure out some specific uses, print those, and show them as examples :)

·
Registered
338 Posts
OK, I feel compelled to come clean here....First of all I am retired and do not work at a corner print/shipping store. Nor do I have access to a 3D printer of any kind, let alone a SS version...if they even exist! That was all tongue in cheek.... The counter shaft extensions where all machined using a combination of CNC milling and traditional machining....Sorry if my sense of humor was lost in the translation...

We sold about 5 of these and we have not heard any feed back yet either......I am a bit surprised at that....

OK back to REAL 3D printing!

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
I made mention of stainless steal because of your post back then. I knew they used powdered metals for 3-D printing but.. anyway they did look machined to me.

Good machining at that... ;)

OK, I feel compelled to come clean here....First of all I am retired and do not work at a corner print/shipping store. Nor do I have access to a 3D printer of any kind, let alone a SS version...if they even exist! That was all tongue in cheek.... The counter shaft extensions where all machined using a combination of CNC milling and traditional machining....Sorry if my sense of humor was lost in the translation...

We sold about 5 of these and we have not heard any feed back yet either......I am a bit surprised at that....

OK back to REAL 3D printing!

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
It prints layer upon layer of material, plastic what ever is used, just like your home printer but layer upon layer. It's addidtive manufacturing as opposed to a CNC Mill etc. cutting it away. Watch the vid I posted.

I'm with Gary on this. how is the printer building the project? ( I don't get out much) is it injecting material as it goes, hot plastic?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts