TW200 Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I'm with Gary on this. how is the printer building the project? ( I don't get out much) is it injecting material as it goes, hot plastic?
It's really just a fancy hot glue gun :D

Picture a simple object- say a pipe.

Stand that pipe on end

Slice it into 1/8" sections, so you get lots of thin rings

So that's what the software does- it takes an object, and slices it up into thin sections (more like .001" in reality)

Then, it tells the $2000 hot glue gun to spit out plastic to form that section

This is done via a simple two-axis horizontal thingamajig- moves left, right, forward, back

Then, once that layer is done, it moves up (z axis), and does the next layer...etc

You can make some really neat stuff with it!

For stuff with overhangs (imagine a pipe with an L-shape on top), it will automatically add removable supports :)

·
Registered
548 Posts
Heck, I'd be happy if he could just make us some cool TW key tags for our bikes! Maybe a really tiny TW that the wheels go round and round? :D

·
Registered
6,324 Posts
OK, I feel compelled to come clean here....First of all I am retired and do not work at a corner print/shipping store. Nor do I have access to a 3D printer of any kind, let alone a SS version...if they even exist! That was all tongue in cheek.... The counter shaft extensions where all machined using a combination of CNC milling and traditional machining....Sorry if my sense of humor was lost in the translation...

We sold about 5 of these and we have not heard any feed back yet either......I am a bit surprised at that....

OK back to REAL 3D printing!
Hey Lbxr,

You had me fooled :mad:!

That was the only reason I didn't jump on buying one of your output shaft extenders - I just couldn't believe that a 3D metal printed part would hold up to the whopping 14 horsepower of a 225cc engine. Had I known these were conventionally machined, I would have gladly paid your asking price.

My guess is that I wasn't the only one fooled.

Brian

·
Super Moderator
14,180 Posts
Hey Lbxr,

That was the only reason I didn't jump on buying one of your output shaft extenders - I just couldn't believe that a 3D metal printed part would hold up to the whopping 14 horsepower of a 225cc engine. Had I known these were conventionally machined, I would have gladly paid your asking price.

Brian

After my earlier post here I feel like a real dope. I hope I don't later learn Lbxr started his output shaft extender on 1 April because I took it "Hook, Line & Sinker".

·
Premium Member
4,048 Posts
I felt and reacted exactly the same way. That it wouldn't hold up the task (assuming it was printed). I think I even made mention of my concerns and was kind of shot down. It looked to good to be true, like a machined part...

BUT I did not buy it because it was supposedly printed.

Hense forth I demand a substantial discount (for me , Brian and Admiral at a minimum) and a fine be levied for false advertising and trickery!

hahaha lol..

Barring that let's get some feed back on these so I can get one in my hands! (I'll pay full price, they look very well made) ;)

Hey Lbxr,

Brian

·
Registered
340 Posts
Geez, I feel like a heel! When I typed out that SS 3D printer stuff I had no idea it would be taken seriously...Sorry guys, I learned a lesson here!

We have not gotten any feedback yet at all. I think most of the guys are lining up/building their motors... The one we installed in a bike here worked all summer and fall w/o any issues so far, but we never pulled it back out for inspection....We have been too busy riding! I strongly encouraged our buyers to post their results on this forum for all to see. I am confident that as soon as we get some "runners" we will get some feedback....

Once again, my apologies for my failed humor...

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
brian,
are you convinced enough yet to put your ttr motor into your '05?
;)

·
Premium Member
4,048 Posts
Once again, my apologies for my failed humor...
Its all good ;)

I could use one too. I have an idea that would make it even better, very easy to implement. I just need to see a few pics again to be sure where I left off. Are they not available?

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
6,324 Posts
brian,
are you convinced enough yet to put your ttr motor into your '05?
;)
Oh yeah, I was convinced on the first ride of the 226 6-speed!

However, unless my '05 engine decides to take a puke, it is way too much work for me to swap the engines. If I am able to make the Boonville ride, I'll probably bring the 226 bike. That way someone (not me :eek:!) can race it against yours.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I am not sure when more of these will be available as my friend who actually makes these is in the process of getting his house ready to sell right now, then he is going to build a new shop/boat storage building in Gold Beach this spring...It may be awhile. It is likely that this time next year more will be available and we should have some feed back by then... I do have one sitting on the shelf here that I may use some day, but I hesitate to let it go...see above. I think he has a spare one as well. I have 2 TWs that have been converted to 6 speeds using conventional methods and they will probably last a long time so I may never use the extension I have....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey folks!

I have a 3D printer that doesn't get enough use, maybe it can help some here! Great for small-to-medium sized parts, and the plastic is surprisingly strong, extremely light.

I have several rolls of PLA to print with: Clear, Black, White, Blue, Neon Green, Neon Orange, Neon Pink. If you need a different color (they even make some glow-in-the-dark stuff!), please don't hesitate to order a roll and ship it to me :D ;)

Can print up to about 12cm x 8cm x 8cm easily, or larger with some special setup.

Shipping cost, 25cents per cc, and patience while I do a million other projects, are all I'd ask for, happy to help out!

If you have questions/ideas, feel free to ask. I can also help with basic 3d modeling/design stuff.
I hope this is still an active topic! I'm looking for a new fender cover. Is this something up your alley? Thanks!

21 - 33 of 33 Posts