TW200 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19,605 Posts
That is a very good example a creative solution to save one's ass. Sam has it right about not forgetting the knife though.

A pocket knife once saved my bacon. A missing drain plug once had my day sailer sinking by the falls at the far end of Hell Hole Reservoir, a somewhat remote Sierra lake I had all to myself that day. I was able to drive it onto a submerged shelf at base of cliff, de-rig it and using my only asset, a Spyderco Ladybug carve a chock to affix line to crack in cliff and start winching boat up an inch at a time with the pulley and all available line. While it slowly drained I kept busy waiting for any passing boat by swimming and finding more driftwood to carve a new drain plug. No passing boats and an hour or so later I had boat suspended most of way out of water so that I could test fit my carved plug without having to dive under water any more. With an acceptable drain plug seal and another hour to warm in the sun while re-rigging the sail I then was able to sail upwind back to the put-in. That was a long day but the knife saved me from a longer day of abandoning boat and hiking the trailless shoreline.
Hell_Hole_Campground_1.png

Lessons learned beyond "Knife good, sinking boat bad"? Being creative and calmly thinking outside the box can really help in a time of stress.

Another lesson? "TW good as motorcycles don't usually sink"

·
Registered
998 Posts
A knife IS one of the Ten Essentials, is it not?
For each mode of transport, be it bike, truck, boat or foot...I always carry some sort of "kit" which includes at least:
  • 3 methods of starting a fire.
  • Some sort of blade.
  • Some basic First Aid.
  • LARGE orange garbage bag
What's in your wallet?

·
Registered
13,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't know if that is an example of ingenuity as a result of desperation or and example of being cheap because you don't want to invest in spare levers. Or is it a hoax? View attachment 203534
I'll accept the wood lever as real. Even if it's a hoax I bet it could be done though I hope never to have to carve one however, you never know. I've ridden for a few miles with a broken clutch and brake levers but was close to home. If I was out in the middle of Sasquatch country on the trail, I may want to consider this alternative.

·
Registered
13,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A knife IS one of the Ten Essentials, is it not?
For each mode of transport, be it bike, truck, boat or foot...I always carry some sort of "kit" which includes at least:
  • 3 methods of starting a fire.
  • Some sort of blade.
  • Some basic First Aid.
  • LARGE orange garbage bag
What's in your wallet?
I'm never that prepared and wing it a lot. I guess I carry a multi-tool most of the time but I always carry a SPOT and Safe Straw so I can drink creek water if I run out.

·
Registered
462 Posts
This thread brings to mind when I rode most all of a 100 mile European scrambles race on a Yamaha YZ400 with the clutch lever broken off. I'd shift into neutral as I was coming in to each check point where you had to stop for them to mark your tank card. Then rev it up and stomp it into first gear to take off. Up and down shifting the whole race with no clutch I thought I'd better tear it down to see if any damage was done to the tranny. I was surprised to find everything looked just fine.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I feel naked without a machete on my bike. As a child of the 1980s every movie had the same lesson. A machete solves all your problems in life.

Sent from my LML211BL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
i recently decided to unload my "boy scout pockets" and put together my own EDC kit...
it's not perfected yet, but so far so good. note: no hammer, that's in my tool kit.

·
Registered
13,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I feel naked without a machete on my bike. As a child of the 1980s every movie had the same lesson. A machete solves all your problems in life.

Sent from my LML211BL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19,605 Posts
Chopped many a mile of line-of-sight survey paths in my youth. A machete never suited me in the NW forests yet a razor bladed Swedish Sandvik was the pioneering tool of choice for breaking trail then following up with a chainsaw. Put a little bend on a sapling's trunk with hand or foot and it's amazing what a razor chop can do.
sandvik.jpg

1 - 19 of 19 Posts