TW200 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently purchased a TW with a low-carry weight rack already installed. Needless to say I was really excited to start loading it up with dry bags and maybe some panniers... until I looked at the prices. I'm sure I'm not the only one. Thankfully, all is not lost! With a little ingenuity and a lot of money grubbing (or as I like to call it, stinginuity!) you can have a full set of rugged luggage to carry your every-day riding essentials for a fraction of the cost of name-brand motorcycle luggage. Here's my set up: Hanging on the right side I have a little pouch that fits my first aid kit perfectly and on the left I have a canteen pouch. I have a plastic canteen for water and a metal canteen that I use to carry gasoline. I switch them out when I know I'm going to be riding in an area that has few gas stations and carry water in my backpack. Both of these can be found at any Military surplus store for cheap, not to mention they look great with the rugged TW! Oh, and all I did to mount them was tie a few zip ties around the belt straps on the pouches and the rack. Trust me, they're not coming off! For the top rack I have mounted a small 1200 Pelican case. These things make the perfect dual sport case, imo. They're light, durable, and water tight! Perfect for carrying your phone, wallet, tire gauge, etc. And your important documents fit snugly underneath the top foam on the lid where you don't have to worry about forgetting them or getting them wet (but that shouldn't be a problem anyways because you have them laminated, right? :p). I even have room to carry my manual for field repairs. You can get the 1200 case for about $40 right now on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Pelican-1200-Case-Camera-Black/dp/B0002INQT2. Here is my other post showing how I mounted the case onto my rack; it was fairly simple. http://tw200forum.com/forum/performance-customization/14822-my-first-tw200-upgrade-mounted-pelican-case.html#post182007. While the 1200 works great for my needs I'd recommend getting a larger size like a 1400 or 1500. I only used the 1200 because I had one lying around that someone gave to me as a gift. Still, it works fine. I always have room for whatever I need to stay dry, which isn't a lot. Hope this helps!

Attachments

·
Registered
736 Posts
if you want to go even cheaper than the Pelican, with comparable type box, try MCM Electronics. They carry many cases that are made the same way, in various sizes. here is an example

14" Black Tactical Weatherproof Equipment Case | 22-24145 (2224145) | Distributed By MCM

for other baggage, you could try a tank bag that some of us use. They are made for quads but work on the TW also. you just need to run a strap around the bottom connecting both bags so they don't fly. can find these at wallyworld or online, got mine from Cabellas

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if you want to go even cheaper than the Pelican, with comparable type box, try MCM Electronics. They carry many cases that are made the same way, in various sizes. here is an example

14" Black Tactical Weatherproof Equipment Case | 22-24145 (2224145) | Distributed By MCM

for other baggage, you could try a tank bag that some of us use. They are made for quads but work on the TW also. you just need to run a strap around the bottom connecting both bags so they don't fly. can find these at wallyworld or online, got mine from Cabellas
What is this tank bag that you are referring to? I just had to send a Cortech Micro 2.0 tank bag back because even that was too big for our small tank.

·
Registered
592 Posts
looking good! Now you can carry some snacks as well...

Here is my pelican 1400 with bungee buddies

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
That Pelican case looks really nice Holden. Did you have to drill holes thru it on the bottom for attachment?

On Friday I went searching for a tail bag at my local CycleGear. They really didn't have anything I liked on the shelves and I needed something for the next days foray into the woods. So went to The Container Store to try and throw together a Poor Man's carrier. Tried a few different box's:

First was what I call "The Dishwasher". Price was right at $5.99 but besides making holes for attachment I would have to make additional if it rained and this thing filled up Looked too institutional anyway.
IMG_5648.JPG

"Night at the Disco" look. Thought it might look nice with the Yamaha Blue. Too bright. But on the right track.
IMG_5647.JPG

The sales people staring out the window of the store voted this the best. Unassuming & elegant, black goes with everything be it casual or formal.
IMG_5646.JPG

I have the Cyclerack with the "hump". On the ride home with my new prize I could very slightly feel the forward top of the crate hitting my back. So I cut out a spot for the "hump" to poke thru, locating the crate more to the rear.
IMG_5649.jpg

Originally I had four (4) Rok Straps holding the crate down but I wanted to use them for something else. So ended up using Duct-Tapes ugly cousin, zip tie's.
Very solid connection and the front of the mini crate now lines up with the front of the Cyclerack so a real balanced load, no pressure or weight on the actual tailpiece.
IMG_5651.JPG

After the woods ride I cut the crate off. If I want to do some light shopping around town I'd throw it back on with the Rok Straps. For serious loads the zip ties are the way to go.

Con's- Not waterproof/can't lock-it/geeky in a Messenger Service type of way.
Pro's- Simple/works/not limited by a cover or zippered top/cost $8.99.

In the end I'll probably end up with a Pelican or if a soft piece, Wolfman makes a nice tail bag. But on the cheap this was a quick throw together.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts