TW200 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm resurrecting an older TW. I have fresh fuel, the petcock on RES just in case, the ignition switch on, the kill switch on, the choke on, clutch engaged, kickstand up, and checked for spark (got it) and have fuel draining out of the line when the fuel line is pulled off the carb. The previous owner said the electric start stopped working and he's unsure why. So there is no battery on the bike and I'm trying to kick start it. It won't even attempt to turn over.

Any other ideas please!?

Jeff

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Is it in neutral. This might be hard to ascertain if you have no battery to light up your neutral light. However trying to push it forward or backwards without depressing the clutch should tell you if you are in neutral. It won't even attempt to fire - presumably its turning over when you kick it. Is the spark plug wet to prove that fuel is arriving to the cylinder? Have you tried a really hard roll start? Get on the bike on a hill or get a friend to push. Put bike in 2nd gear and get it rolling with clutch lever in and once at reasonable speed pop that baby (with switch on). Any decent bike will fire under those circumstances. Good luck and keep eliminating potential problems. Tom

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it in neutral. This might be hard to ascertain if you have no battery to light up your neutral light. However trying to push it forward or backwards without depressing the clutch should tell you if you are in neutral. It won't even attempt to fire - presumably its turning over when you kick it. Is the spark plug wet to prove that fuel is arriving to the cylinder? Have you tried a really hard roll start? Get on the bike on a hill or get a friend to push. Put bike in 2nd gear and get it rolling with clutch lever in and once at reasonable speed pop that baby (with switch on). Any decent bike will fire under those circumstances. Good luck and keep eliminating potential problems. Tom

Thanks Tom. Yes, for sure in neutral because it does roll with the clutch released. I'm holding the clutch just in case the safety switch isn't working. I live in a really flat area so no hills around here.
He says it ran last time he started it up a year or so ago. I did take out the spark plug when I was testing spark and it did appear wet.

Other problem is the oil drain plug is not moving at all. I've used a 12-point wrench, vise grips, everything and it is not moving.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
You gotta have air too. Make sure the airbox is clean, replace the plug. And double check that the plug is getting wet. Fuel to the carb and fuel to the cylinder are very different things. You're most likely looking at a carb cleaning, but squirting a little gas in the plug hole and then trying to fire it up should help determine that. Offchance that it's the CDI as well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright, I'll squirt a little gas in the spark plug hole in the morning. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I would bet the carb just needs a good cleaning and make sure youre using fresh gas.

If you want to fix the starter I can walk you through it when you get a battery. Just let me know.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would bet the carb just needs a good cleaning and make sure youre using fresh gas.

If you want to fix the starter I can walk you through it when you get a battery. Just let me know.

That would be fantastic if you could help me get the starter working!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all. I did the lazy man's carb tune, cleaned it up and unscrewed the main jet 2-1/2 turns. It was screwed in all the way. (maybe by vibration?) It started up after about 8 kicks. Now it starts on the first kick.
It has a high idle which I adjusted with the set screw that butts up against the cable bracket and am still playing with that a bit. I got it to a nice idle and it stayed there nicely for about a minute and then died.

Next...I have a frozen/nearly stripped oil drain bolt and a flat rear tire.

Thanks again.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
If it's getting close to stripped, I think I used an 18 or 19mm shallow 6 point and some JB weld to break mine free. Just put something in the bottom of the socket to keep the stuff from getting in the drive end, like a piece of paper or tape. Fill it, mix it, and stick it on there overnight. There's more than one way to skin that cat, but that's a cheap way to go and it leaves the plug useable as a spare or until you get a new one. Make sure to use a 1/2" drive socket, though. And it's gotta be 6 point! A 12 point is a waste of metal when you have that much room to move around.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts