TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve rented plenty of cars in my life but I don’t know what to expect when renting a motorcycle. I’m going to Honolulu in January to visit my daughter Lauren and since she now owns her first Motorcycle, i’m sure she will want to ride.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
17,989 Posts
I did a few times. Over 50 years ago though...

·
Registered
13,654 Posts
No, but your signature line is funny.

IT IS ONLY WHEN A MOSQUITO LANDS ON YOUR TESTICLES THAT YOU REALIZE THERE IS ALWAYS A WAY TO SOLVE PROBLEMS WITHOUT USING VIOLENCE.

I have researched online for rentals before but not actually needed to rent one. Sorry I couldn't answer your question.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I planned to rent one on the big island of Hawaii, a few years ago (2004?), but all the H-D had forward controls, which I do not find comfortable.
Test rode a Yamaha Bolt a couple days ago. Nice powerplant, but did not care for ergonomics, as the pegs were slightly forward of normal mids.
Made it awkward to bring my foot up, after a stop and find the shift lever.

http://www.eaglerider.com/hawaii

Be careful on Oahu, crazy traffic.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I did a few times. Over 50 years ago though...
That produced a flash of nostalgia!
I rented a Honda in the mid sixties (San Fernando Valley of Los Angeles). It died and I did not have a dime for a payphone.

I rented a 160 Honda in the Philippines a couple times, arranged private party, by a local friend.
He rented one also.
We went from Angeles City to far north of Baguio. He did not want to go farther...something about headhunters, circa 1967.

The second time I rented it, it died, north of Mabalacat and it came back in a Jeepney.

Baguio.jpg

Looking at a map, trying to figure out where we went. More east than north. I remember a winding road, rice terraces and a reservoir, so I think this was the route, 50 years ago.

Note that Googlemaps estimates 1.5 hours for only 31 miles!

Beyond Baguio.jpg

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No motorcycles but we did rent a dune buggy and tour the island about 10 years ago. Did as much of the perimeter as we could and stopped at the Dole Plantation.
The last time I was in Hawaii I noticed a dune buggy with a “Rent Me” sign on the side. I was bummed that I didn’t know I could have rented one. I had a red dune buggy back in the early 90s. It was a blast but I sold it to buy electronics for my new center console fishing boat.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
No motorcycles but we did rent a dune buggy and tour the island about 10 years ago. Did as much of the perimeter as we could and stopped at the Dole Plantation.
Did you hear Annette Funicello sing Pineapple Princess?

·
Registered
928 Posts
My ex and I rented a pair of Harleys on our honeymoon in Las Vegas, NV. Rode out to the Hoover dam, around Lake Mead. It was a blast. The rental place was run out of a couple's massive home garage. They were super enthusiastic and we spent a good hour just talking to them. We finally got on the bikes, they followed us around for a block on two to ensure we knew how to ride, then they went home and we went on our separate way.

My only complaint with that experience was the limited number of bikes to choose from. All they had were the HUGE Harley cruisers (I think I was on a "fat boy"??? - It's been 17 years, so I don't remember). I do remember that I had to scoot up to the front of the seat when I wanted to shift gears, though... and then scoot back to set my feet flat at stop lights, which left me leaning forward to reach the bars comfortably. It was kinda funny and probably crazy dangerous, but hey, I was a crazy daredevil girl at the time and fearless about riding any bike, even if it was too big.

Much later in life, I rented another Harley (this time one of the smallest available) from a scooter rental place in Fort Meyers, FL. That place had a ton of scooters to choose from, but only 2 motorcycles. The guy behind the counter looked bored, was rude as hell, and gave me the creeps. The bike was rough, but I still had fun riding around the area.

Motorcycle rental companies vary so much, that it will be hard to tell what kind of experience you will have. Hopefully you'll find something that's nice.

Good luck and I hope you have tons of fun, even if you don't get to ride.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Which Motorcycle should I choose? I called a couple Motorcycle rentals the only serious expense is the deductible if I wreck it :( One Shop is $1000 and the other is $1500. Ouch I’ll have to be extra careful
Lauren just sent me this one and said she could get me a discounted price.

[video]http://www.chasehawaiirentals.com/index.html[/video]

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
55 years ago I rented a motorcycle a few times -- my parents wouldn't let me own one and they never found out about me renting one. All one needed was a learner's permit. No helmet necessary. The good old days.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts