TW200 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about 14,000 miles on a 05 tw and was going to install a new top end kit seals and rings but not sure how to tell if i need a new piston or not ??? also what should i use to get the cross hatch back in the cylinder / what type tool and size / ??? thank you

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
Get a Wiseco high compression piston for more power, speed, and economy.

A standard sized piston will most likely drop right in (Wiseco number: 4292M06700 or 4292PS). An oversize one will have to be fitted by a machinist. (Wiseco number: 4292M06750 or 4292P2)

·
Registered
8,346 Posts
I am from a different school. When you have the engine torn down that far I would always replace parts such as rings and pistons and I also always take the jug to a competent machine shop to get thing done right. You can certainly get away with just replacing the gaskets if all the above tests show the correct results. If I was to replace the piston I too would go with the Wiseco and new rings after getting the jug either honed or bored. You risk that old adage, "I do things right because I do things twice" if when you have things torn down you don't go for the full monty.

GaryL

·
Registered
913 Posts
GaryL is right (again). If I have an engine torn down that far I ALWAYS replace with new parts. Do a new piston and rings. NEVER re-use rings!

If you do it right the motor will go another 14k miles. Do it halfway and its reliability will always be in question.

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
What about the rings if still using the original piston?? Thank for the help
You can buy new rings from Bike Bandit -- $40. When I fixed my base gasket leak I replaced the rings. The piston was barely acceptable according to the service manual and now 12,000 miles later I can hear it making noises. I didn't know about Wiseco back then or I would have used one.

Wiseco pistons come in kits. The rings, a wrist pin, and circlips are all included. Check ebay. Most kits are about $100 or more but if you are patient and move fast when one becomes available you can get one in the $55 to $80 range.

If you are on a tight budget just replace the gaskets and you will be fine.

·
Registered
8,346 Posts
It has been a long time since I had a jug bored or honed so I have no clue what they charge today. That said, the machine shop has the tools to check the specs and tolerances that I don't have.

I have had heads milled, jugs bored and re sleeved and all sorts of other machine work done and never had an issue that caused me to wonder if being frugal cost me a ton of additional money in the long run. I think some stuff is better left to the professionals and when I tear in to an engine I only want to do it once.

GaryL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts