TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Marian and I are packed up with all our camping gear and the TW. We are headed out in the morning to camp with Tom Dryden and his family this weekend. I will be posting pictures of our adventure.

image.jpeg

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Where are you going camping and riding? Can I crash the party?:D
Since Top and his wife are making the trip I planned on casually mentioning inviting you on a ride as well. Since he has publicly let the cat out of the bag on his own let me know and we will plan a ride around meeting you! I plan on exploring Finger Lakes National Forest for the first time! Nearly 17,000 acres that I have NEVER explored and it is just outside the campground:D There just has to be some decent seasonal roads throughout.

Tom

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
You know what they say: "You can't see the forest for the trees" :D

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
We made it :D. It was a beautiful ride through the Allegheny Mountains. Boy did they use a lot of dynamite blasting a road through those mountains. GPS had our trip at 5 hours but with all the stops it took us 8.

We enjoyed breakfast at this diner.
image.jpeg

Camp
image.jpeg

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
If you get thirsty, go to "Two Goats Brewing" about a mile south of Smith Park. The owner rides dirt bikes. I used to camp at Smith Park when the kids were young and have driven through the Forrest many times but only saw trees. There is a nice little Diner on the side road near the gas station in Hector.
Matt Donovan

Home : Two Goats Brewing
You know Painted Post, NY is just over the hill from where we will be riding................ I know, I know you are a loner.

Tom

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tom we took recommendation and had dinner at Jerlando's Italian Restrauant. I had the lasagna which was amazing and how about that super large pizza they make, its half the size of a kitchen table.
It's rained it's ass off while we were eating dinner and then we found ourselfs at Watkins Glen Gorge. Wow that's an amazing place. I took some pictures of the falls but the pictures don't even come close to the reality of being there.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Back at camp and not a drop of rain fell. We love this campground!!!

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
I believe there are a total of 19 waterfalls in that one gorge! Did you walk the gorge trail? I have done it literally dozens of times and still love it. Yes Jerlando's is sinfully good! Please tell me you tried their garlic knots?

Tom

·
Registered
129 Posts
You know Painted Post, NY is just over the hill from where we will be riding................ I know, I know you are a loner.

Tom
Not a loner just antisocial. I keep a boat in Watkins Glen and hang out in the Burdett-Hector area a lot. I was riding the TW up there Wednesday after getting the bike inspected at Lane's Yamaha across the lake. Too bad all the waterfalls in the area have dried up. I will definitely be keeping my eye out for TW's this weekend.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The water sure is clear with a lot of vegetation. How's the fishing on Senica Lake?
The water is clear because the lake was infested with Zebra Mussels about 25 years ago. Each one can filter a quart of water a day and there are billions of them. The clear water allows heavy vegetation growth close to shore but the bottom drops off quickly (600 feet where you are). Geneva used to be called the "lake Trout Capital of the USA" but the fishing is not as good as it used to be. Doesn't bother me because I'm too lazy to fish.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I found these videos of the gorge on YouTube

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We are having a wonderful time in NY. This morning Tom and I met up with Scotti158, Brian and rode the National Forest roads for a few hours.

image.jpeg
Brian Tom

image.jpeg

We had lunch on the Senica Legacy cruising for two hours on Senica lake.
image.jpeg

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
That there is 2 of the fastests TWs on the planet!! Also notice my new Joe Rocket Atomic 4.0 red/black jacket. Tom and I are not only fast, we look good!

image.jpeg

Met the guys here at Taughannock Falls @ 7:00am

falls.jpg

Google Earth map showing the route from where I met up with them at Taughannock Falls, through the Fingerlakes Nat'l Forest, to where we went our separate ways. Apparently they went to a party barge to fondle some wooden chick! Lake on the left is Seneca Lake, lake on the right is Cayuga Lake.

trip.jpg

Always fun meeting up with other TW owners and doing a little riding.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts