TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
There are some very interesting articles on header wrap and it's effects on different metals and internal gas flows.... Mild steel breaks down fairly rapidly but not from moisture as one might assume.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
What Happen If Someone Wrap Their Stainless header
The articles I have read indicate that stainless steel has a tendency to increase in density which is the opposite of mild steel. I will look around and see if I can find the info I was reading. The most work on this issue comes out of the auto racing industry..... They do a lot of research on gas flow, heat and durability of materials..

·
Super Moderator
5,309 Posts
Stainless 316 and above, can be used in cooling towers with anti-oxidant, and on exhaust systems, simply because it doesn’t corrode like mild steel – once corrosion sets in (on mild steel), it allows increased deterioration, leading to perforation

Exhaust gasses inherently have a high moisture content, which lends itself to corrosion in mild steel – “wrapping” the exhaust only serves to attack mild steel both from the outside, and the inside as well

Given that a minimum thickness of steel is advisable for weight issues, it comes as no surprise that the TW exhaust is particularly vulnerable

With stainless (316), the thickness is often less, resulting in more noise from the internal pipe itself (not from the end of the pipe)

A few years ago, I had a quote for a new exhaust system for my car, in mild steel as per the manufacturer – I found someone who could do the exhaust in stainless, for exactly the same price. The difference was in how long it would last for, and in the case of mild steel it was around 40k miles, whereas in the stainless example, it came with a lifetime guarantee – no contest

What I can’t get my head around, is why on earth anyone would want to “wrap” their exhaust in the first place, except to possibly make it look like it needs a bandage because there was something wrong with it to begin with ……

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Looked but did not find the articles on wrapped exhaust..... Why are you interested in re-wrapping a new or stainless header?

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
pretty sure all xt225 headers are stainless.

i've had one on mine for 5+ years now and it still looks great, no signs of rust.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts