TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, so hopefully some of you guys on here can tell me what's going on. First off, my Tdub is not stock, the headlight on my bike is as such.

Since I finished my bike, I have had chronic problems with the headlight bulbs burning out. I have gone through no less than four. At first, I thought it was the cheap headlight housing, which I suppose could be it. I was thinking the heat is frying the bulbs. I drilled some air holes in it and that didn't help at all. I tried 3 different brand bulbs and still, same thing. I can run with the light on and it will blow, then switch to highbeam and after a day or two of riding, it will also blow.

Any ideas? I have read that it could possibly be a voltage regulator problem?

My bike is a 2009 with about 2500 miles on it. Thanks for the help.

Bart

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
17,626 Posts
It may just be getting too hot. Some after market units have fans in them to help not blow the bulbs.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you rewire or remove anything?

What bulb are you using? H4?
No, the wiring harness is stock. I am running a small Antigravity battery under the seat. And yeah, I believe that's right, H4, but I will have to check now that you mention it. I know I have tried a few different brands and I tried a couple with lower wattage. Same thing happens.

It may just be getting too hot. Some after market units have fans in them to help not blow the bulbs.
That was my initial thought. But I guess I don't get how it was fine in stock form and now with the new little headlight it constantly burns out. I even drilled a bunch of air holes through the back of the housing, no change.

This makes me wonder, are there LED bulbs that I could swap in relatively easily? Something with a high/low beam? I would think this would fix the issue.

Thanks.

Bart

·
Super Moderator
17,626 Posts
I don't have an answer for you Bart. Hopefully someone will though for you. You haven't been around for a while have you? I always liked your bike bro!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
No, the wiring harness is stock. I am running a small Antigravity battery under the seat. And yeah, I believe that's right, H4, but I will have to check now that you mention it. I know I have tried a few different brands and I tried a couple with lower wattage. Same thing happens.

That was my initial thought. But I guess I don't get how it was fine in stock form and now with the new little headlight it constantly burns out. I even drilled a bunch of air holes through the back of the housing, no change.

This makes me wonder, are there LED bulbs that I could swap in relatively easily? Something with a high/low beam? I would think this would fix the issue.

Thanks.

Bart
The cyclops led works well and has a built in fan, I have it mounted in an old British style bucket. Pro cycle carries it, I think it's on the tw page. I'm hesitant to recommend that as a fix though at $60 or so a pop. I would get a multimeter and start looking around for anomalies on the bike starting at the headlights leads.

I've swapped to all LEDs and haven't burnt anything out.

·
Registered
742 Posts
The battery could be a problem, or your regulator could be shot, or it could be as simple as a poor battery connection. My vote goes to the regulator, assuming you are still using electric start.
Monitoring voltage as you start and ride the bike would be the first step. Doing so at the headlight connection or at the battery would be a good start.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Vibration could also be an issue. Is the headlight bucket rigidly mounted to the forks or are there rubber grommets at the mounting points? Did this problem just start or has it been an issue since you went to the aftermarket headlight?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, I will check the voltage and see what I get. And yes, this problem started as soon as I got the bike back together in modded form. I thought about vibration too, the headlight is mounted with a bit bolt and nut to a bracket the straddles the forks.

Bart

·
Registered
42 Posts
Could be your rectifier ( voltage regulator ) As it converts the AC coming from the crank case to DC before it enters the lighting and charge system. If it's bad you will burn bulbs and boil batteries...

·
Registered
667 Posts
Sounds like voltage regulator issue to me. I had the same problem with my snowblower last year.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts