TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was eventually going to change the headlight to a round one with a stone guard, some others here have already done it and it looks fantastic. So I'm going to take some parts I had set aside a while back for my KZ550 rebuild and throw some twin dominator headlights on (swapping out halogens for H4 led replacements) and see how she looks, just waiting on some new brackets for the twins.

Will wire for dual low and high beam.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Cool, a Paris-Dakar Rally TW200! Looking forward to the pics, Big Blake.

Marty

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We'll see how they work out, the bulbs and mounts and the extra connectors to make a new combined harness should be here next week. I'm super stoked to slowly continue my undercover theft of Harley looks... dominator headlights... my jacket I had Harley logos covered up on to match the TW color scheme... what will be next

·
Registered
158 Posts
There is a video somewhere explaining why not to run two headlights side by side. To another car at night, dual headlights looks like a car that is far away and could cause someone to think they have lots of time to turn or whatnot. I want to say I saw this on FortNine. Makes sense.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe that's why they run the amber on one side. Makes sense, I don't do a lot of night riding anyways, and if I do it's short distances or it will be on the trails.

But since you mentioned it... I'm gonna look for an amber lense for one side, the whole setup was 30bucks anyways... won't be the biggest loss I've ever taken if I need to replace.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Looks like I'm gonna have to make a new light harness to make changing bulbs easy, I found some female H4 connector extensions I'm going to solder to a single male connector, see if I can find a weatherproof cover for the whole exterior plug... next will be dry fit... more pictures to follow.

Here's the basic soldering idea:

First set of connectors... done...

Next one is up!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Looks tough, I like it!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I wouldn't kick it out of bed. The extra lighting is probably quite nice to have!

Only thing that really looks off to me is the gauge cups are squares but the lights are round.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wouldn't kick it out of bed. The extra lighting is probably quite nice to have!

Only thing that really looks off to me is the gauge cups are squares but the lights are round.
Yep, that's what's making me feel off about it... I'm probably going to end up getting the trailtech vapor and justget rid of the stock gauges. Unless a better gauge/cluster can be recommended

·
Registered
7 Posts
Since the speedo runs off a cable, you should be able to use any round speedo from the 70/80s era. Overall outside tire diameter will be close, so the calibration should also.
Lights look awsome! I was concerned if the charging system could handle two, but that should not be an issue since you changed to LED bulbs.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Leave the gauges, they are fine. Shouldn't be a fashion statement between your new lights and the shape of the gauges anyway.
I've always liked seeing the pictures here of folks that changed the 1980's style square lamps to the more traditional round but never got around to it myself.
You've gone further with that dual set-up. Really looks incredible and I'm sure it'll be an improvement at night.
Same thing Baja Designs does and then sells it as an expensive kit to folks with real dirt bikes that want to plate and register for the street. And expensive!
What were you going to do about a fairing or front cover for it? Get an old nosecone on craigslist or fleabay and modify around it? definitely want something there.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Since the speedo runs off a cable, you should be able to use any round speedo from the 70/80s era. Overall outside tire diameter will be close, so the calibration should also.
Lights look awsome! I was concerned if the charging system could handle two, but that should not be an issue since you changed to LED bulbs.
That's a cool idea, 44! I'll look at some older gauges if I decide to pull the trigger on a swap-out. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Leave the gauges, they are fine. Shouldn't be a fashion statement between your new lights and the shape of the gauges anyway.
I've always liked seeing the pictures here of folks that changed the 1980's style square lamps to the more traditional round but never got around to it myself.
You've gone further with that dual set-up. Really looks incredible and I'm sure it'll be an improvement at night.
Same thing Baja Designs does and then sells it as an expensive kit to folks with real dirt bikes that want to plate and register for the street. And expensive!
What were you going to do about a fairing or front cover for it? Get an old nosecone on craigslist or fleabay and modify around it? definitely want something there.
Lol my friend was joking about me copying the Baja design front the 80s movie "The dirt bike kid"... FYI that movie does not hold up.

A nose cone? Like from a rocket? My motorcycle will look like some handicapped unicorn! Lol. Just need to know what kind of nose cone to look for.

My original plan was to use a sheet of Kydex or Delrin, but in the sun/heat I could see them warping... so next was the UV shielded poly sheets or carving up a number plate with holes for the headlights to fit through.

Any cosmetic ideas on dressing up the headlights/preventing exposure to the wiring is appreciated.

it looks awesome at night, especially with the auxiliary lights getting some side to side lighting, I'll try to get some pictures for folks.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I had my doubts but that dual setup sits perfectly on the forks. That looks great. I like having a fairing of some sort. To add to the Harley look, what's next ape hangers?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts