TW200 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use one of these headlight lens restoration kits to repair cloudy yellowed lenses. If so, please let me know what you think. 3M and Maguires, among other, make kits and the YouTube video for the 3M kit looks pretty good.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Depending how bad they are, I've had to sand them with 750, 1000, 1500, 2000 grits and do a final buff. Have also used Mag & Aluminum polish. A Mother's PowerBall is really handy, but have done it by hand.

Just takes some elbow grease, but don't be afraid to take some higher grit sandpaper to it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Seems like by the time someone decides to buy the kit the lenses are so bad that they need to be sanded.

There are some aftermarket light assemblies out there that are so inexpensive I don't know how they can make them, ship them, pay the distributor, and still make money. I bought a pair last November for an 18 year old Toyota for about $70. They are very cheaply made, but the lenses are clear. So far they are working fine.

Mark

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Those kits worked great on my wife's toyota corolla. I got the one with the Mother's "Powerball" and chucked it in the dewalt drill. By the time I was done with my beer the headlights were almost stock looking, and hardly any light could escape before that. Some of them really do need some sanding first though

·
Registered
173 Posts
I just tried the whole "Flitz" thing with the paste and their power-ball. Looked good when done but the next day the haze almost came back- dunno. Perhaps they were a point that some sandpaper was needed and I didn't know it. I'll try the sand paper and then the Flitz and see if there is any difference, befor giving up on the Flitz. OM

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
I had a Mustang that frosted on the inside. A pot scrubber sponge, dish soap, and a plastic utensil handle in the hole for the headlight did the trick. Oh, and a lot of persistance. I've done many outsides with a potscrubber, dish soap, and persistance. Worth a try because of the low price.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts