TW200 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to put switch, so I can turned off the head light? I read there is a way for older bikes,

but mine is a 2008. I have a rack on the front for a little ice chest, head light has to much heat.

I have a rack, on the back, but wanted to mount it on the front. Thanks Mike

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I added a handlebar switch wired to the headlight low beam. Mainly so if I have starting problems I can crank without the headlight being on.

Idling with the headlight off I start getting acid out of my flooded battery overflow tube after several minutes. (first time I tried this the bike was new had 150miles on it)

On another note does anyone here replace their headlight bulb before it burns out?

i guess if mine burns out I can use high beam and lower the adjuster till I get home.

My riding is 99.7% during daylight

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
On another note does anyone here replace their headlight bulb before it burns out?

Carry a spare. Wrap one in bubblewrap and stash it in the little rectangular chingas in the rear fender, behind the tail light.

Real pain to get to, but you can stash spares of every bulb on the bike in there.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Like lizrdbrth said, carry a spare. If you don't care for his storing suggestion...still bubble wrap it and place it in your bag?.Good to have a spare.....anything!.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Wouldn't think so unless the regulator is bad?.
There is no regulator. TWs have a "balanced" system. The alternator is designed to put out just enough more than the lights use to keep the battery charged.

EDIT: Measure the resistance through the headlight. Wire a resistor with the same resistance parallel to the headlight from a double throw switch. Switch up, resistor instead of headlight. Switch middle, infinite load for problem starts. Switch down, headlight instead of resistor.

·
Registered
181 Posts
the other side of the resistor is grouned? on my atv the headlight is controlled by the ignition, wondering if theres way to incorporate something like that to make it work rather than hacking and splicing a wire harness.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Headlight is a simple DC circuit. A double throw switch and resistor (yes, resistor output goes to ground) provides an optional path for the electricity to flow. Take your bulb to Radio Shack. They'll be able to set you up with everything you need, including wire terminals to build your own plug-n-play wiring harness adapter, if that is what you want.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts