TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems I have hit the wall as far as riding safe. I have noticed a decrease in energy lately. Went in for a colonoscopy and was diagnosed with Afib. As I did have a heart doc appt the next week I figured no problem they will fix it. On seeing the doc at the university of Washington, I was put on a blood thinner at fourhundred a month. Luckily they got me a voucher for a free month and gave me some numbers to call. The meds will be given to me free from the makers. As I am headed for Ak they wanted to put me on a pill that doesn't have to have blood checked each week as I take two a day. If I bump my head, get a bruise, stub a toe, well you get the idea, I have to immediately see an emergency room. Those that know me know I would have to campout next to that door.

So the safe way for me is to stay off two wheels for a while till I get back after a couple months and they reset my heart rythem. Hopefully I can get off the thinner and be normal. Sure didn't figure on this.

If things don't work out I will have to get rid of the toys, too painful to have them around and not play.

·
Registered
5,955 Posts

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
randall,

i hope it gets all straightened out, plumb or close enough to it.
ride on!

joe

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Sorry to hear your Afib Plumb. Man of all the damn things that can slow us down being on blood thinner really sucks. I wish you the best an I'll pray you have a speedy recovery.

Rick

·
Registered
262 Posts
Be careful, and get some of the the military grade stop bleed to keep with you on your trip. When I was on thinners I cut my hand putting some metal roofing on, bled for 3 hours before I finally went to the Doc-in-a box, got 3 stitches,3 damn stitches, never had less than 10 before.

Get well and safe travels.

·
Super Moderator
17,963 Posts
Bummer brother Plumb. Don't stress your heart out with any new girlfriends!! ;) If I couldn't have a motorcycle, you might as well just kill me now. Take it easy bro and if you need anything, just give me a holler. Love ya bra!!

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I go for a colonoscopy next week and am not expecting good results. Doc sees something in my blood and wants to be sure. I hate the thought of another colon test, what a crappy deal! I'm already on 3 different heart meds that I have to stop abruptly a week before the procedure and have to be real careful during this week off my meds. I poked my finger last week with a fish hook, minor puncture but bled like a slob for 3 hours until I finally came home to get it stopped. Same crap happens if I nick myself shaving but you don't have that problem based on your picture.

Be safe and be careful while they try to get you back on track. I just turned 65 and going to hell in a hand basket quick.

GaryL

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Getting old truly sucks. My legs don't function below the knee, basically paralyzed from knee down. Above the knee I have lost about 2/3ds my strength.
I work out my arms and upper body to preserve what's left but both hands tingle all the time and occasionally (several times a day) go numb.
I thought I was doing okay until 3 days ago. After setting up my indoor archery range, it took me 4 tries to string my bow. At least once it is strung I can still shoot.
It is a satisfying activity but worrysome to know that I have lost that much strength in so few years.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I thank all of you for the well wishes. I am sure they can get this issue under control. I just have to be super careful not to bruise or bump into things. Just slow down and become an old man for a few months. I am looking forward to getting back on the little horse, but until then it is pokey slow for me. Sure gave me pause to get my things in order. Will let the kids fight over the toys lol.

·
Registered
20,184 Posts
Big sympathy for the bad health news .
However Randall you seem to be coping well with such disappointing news. Good man, as usual, if me I would be feeling rather depressed.
Really screwed up your plans for what was going to be an adventurous summer, you are wise to be extra cautious on the journey and leave the TW behind for now.
So I guess no more of our rides together for awhile where we come back scraped up and sometimes leaking.:(
Best wishes my friend, stay safe with those blood thinners and your active lifestyle.

·
Registered
13,648 Posts
Hope the Doc's at the Doc Shop can help you out. Are they giving you hope this can be controlled with meds forever or temporary or it's too early to tell yet? If this is a forever thing and you go on the blood thinners, does this mean no more outdoor playing (logging, woodchopping, TW riding, frisbee golf etc)?

With the blood thinners, you're really gonna have to watch out for mosquitoes, yikes!

Take care and be safe.

P.S. I hope the other part of the colonoscopy when well. You know, the reason you had this procedure in the first place. No sense in piling on with medical problems eh?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hope the Doc's at the Doc Shop can help you out. Are they giving you hope this can be controlled with meds forever or temporary or it's too early to tell yet? If this is a forever thing and you go on the blood thinners, does this mean no more outdoor playing (logging, woodchopping, TW riding, frisbee golf etc)

Take care and be safe.

P.S. I hope the other part of the colonoscopy when well. You know, the reason you had this procedure in the first place. No sense in piling on with medical problems eh?
LOL,didn't think about the mosquitoes. One pull on the straw might be more than they asked for. I have no idea where I am with the thinners. I am hoping once they get me back on track with heartbeats I can get off them. I just have to be super careful in the meantime.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Damn!! I know this throws a monkey wrench into your summer... :mad:

The silver lining is you have the best time of the year to get a handle on this, & I know you're not the kind to sit around. That's a big plus!

Pokey slow is a good way to go, and it will keep you going! :icon_thumbright: m.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
LOL,didn't think about the mosquitoes. One pull on the straw might be more than they asked for. I have no idea where I am with the thinners. I am hoping once they get me back on track with heartbeats I can get off them. I just have to be super careful in the meantime.
I'm surprised they didn't want to implant a pacemaker with a fib.

May want to get a second opinion.

I'm intolerant to the prescription blood thinners. Turned out the low dose aspirin does just as well.

jb

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
If you have a problem with mosquitos, drink an ounce of vinegar a day. Half ounce in a cup of water or juice at a time. It makes your blood taste bad to them.
Another is the eating of garlic. It keeps vampires from sucking your blood and does the same for mosquitos. Rubbing orange peel on your skin works as a repellant.
Just boycott bugs.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Sorry to hear of your trouble Randall. You were going so strong in Moab.

I'm not a doctor but I played one in the back of an ambulance (paramedic). A-fib is super common, a lot of people are running around with it and doing fine. If you're spinning the wheel of heart ailments that'd be the one to land on. With some meds people do fine. In 22 years I never saw a serious problem from it.

The problem is the atria are not contracting as they should but quiver (fibrillate). Blood can stagnate from not moving and clot, risking embolisms. Blood thinners solve that.

A pacemaker wouldn't be applicable, they work on the ventricles, the lower part of the heart. The heart has multiple ways of triggering before that point as backups and those are working because, well, you have a pulse.

Anyway, just wanted to try and be encouraging. It sounds bad but people do great with it.

I wouldn't get a second opinion on a pacemaker, but you might want to get one if you're getting cardiac diagnoses from a proctologist :D

Daveco, Thanks for the explanation of the need for a pacemaker. I'm on my second one.

Concerning the blood thinners, MD's are quick to prescribe the latest, most expensive, drugs. Ask for generics.

For the short time I was on Rx blood thinners, the cost initially was about $300 per 30 days.......until I discovered I could order the exact same thing from Canada for $40.

jb

1 - 20 of 47 Posts