TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My long term TW riding buddy has multiple sclerosis and while it is still low level he is feeling unsteady on the bike. His wife wants 4 wheels under him and side-by-sides are not legal in most areas around here.

He really want to keep exploring the outback and wonder if anyone else does it on 4 wheels also and does it really eliminate the fun - would really appreciate anyone that does off road in a vehicle as well as their TW

Jeeps are too rough for his body so probably more like a 4x4 car type.

Thanks for responding

·
Registered
815 Posts
I used to have a lifted locked Cherokee. It actually rode really smooth as it has long travel coils in the front. It took me amazing places and I miss it. I think it would be good for youre friend. There are usually lots of them on Craigslist and they are fairly cheap even after someone else has dumped a ton of money upgrading them.

Sent from my LGL63BL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
It might help if you let us know where you're from and paint a picture of the type of riding or exploring that you two do. What are the laws/rules/licensing applicable. Is it full on dual-sport stuff with highway legal being a must?

If I was forced off of two wheels, without a doubt, I would switch to the Polaris Ace. Safer than a quad because you sit in it, not on top of it, and it has a roll cage. Super fun go-cart feel off-road. Legal on under 50" atv trails, i.e. where quads can go but UTVs cannot. Depending on where you are, some areas offer a modified road legal licensing option so it may be legal on fire and county roads, just not state highways.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We are in the Portland,Oregon area - have to be street legal unless you go to central Oregon about 175 miles away and then it is limited.

·
Registered
19,391 Posts
A street legal option that while not as nimble as an ACE yet lighter and potentially more nimble than a heavier jeep like vehicle is a Suzuki Samurai. I had one pass me in very rocky terrain while I was working hard getting my TW down the same trail. I was rather impressed. Stripped down with better axles and longer springs the Samurais can still be kept street legal.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I would also get an ACE 570 if it was legal in my state (Connecticut). But it is not. 4 wheel ATV's and non-plated unregistered dirt bikes are only allowed on private property. Unless you live in a big city and ride it on the streets illegally anyway, which is actually a thing here.

I feel bad for your buddy. Wish him well for me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts