TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am back down from Ak for a bit. Have been having an Afib issue for a while and they put me on a blood thinner big time. You know when they stick you for a blood sample and put a simple pad and tape on your arm. Well just had that done yesterday and when I got home my shirt was bloody from the middle of the bicep to the middle of my forearm. Didn't notice till I took the shirt off.
Back home and will be at the Univercity of Washington in Seattle on Monday. They are going to cardiovert my ticker and try to get it back in rythym. I do ok just plodding along, but any stress and I am out of breath in just seconds. With my blood like water, if I bend over it feels like my head is going to explode. I try to not bend over to much to pick up anything as it may cause me to pop a vessel up there. They told me when I started to take the thinner that if I bump my head to immediately go to the hospital to make sure I haven't caused a bleed.

So, no riding the TW, no going out boating, just no major bashing around and taking a chance of getting hit. I do putt around on the quad, but that is it for exitement.

Have been putting away some serious fish for the winter. Smoked about 50 lbs of sockeye, 22 5cup bags of rhubarb for pies and more when I get up there. The rest of the 5cu ft freezer is sockeye. Everything is shrinkwrapped.

Will most likely stay down here till the 3rd week of Aug and take a flight back up to get my booty.

Had quite a ride on the way up. That new red cargo trailer is not new anymore. Broke a bolt and it left me in the Yukon. When I looked back and realized I didn't have any red paint following me you can imagine what went through my mind. It out through the black spruce wadded up in a ball. I had my quad in it and I was wondering if I did find it could I get it out and as I was hauling at tractor with emplements, how was I going to put it on the truck.
As it turned out, a golden angel was on my shoulder. the road was straight and smooth, a bit uphill with a gentle corner. It must have slowed down and when it left the road on the curve it just went over the edge and stopped. It only folded up the under skirting on the front and tossed things around inside. I was able to get off the road a few thousand feet up the road and back up to it. It was at quite an angle off the shoulder and I was able to fire the tractor up and lift a bit with the loader, tie off the other end of the chain tongue to frame and do some gentle pulls to tease it down. Hooked it all back up, followed the shoulder back up the road and was able to get up a bit of speed to get the load and trailer back up on pavement.

Life is good, equipment broke in, all is in one piece, made it to destination, been camping out in a great place with cook inlet two blocks away and the Kenai river on the other side. Freezer is full, great campfires everynight, a tavern next door, which we cook for and have meals that are wonderful. You know the Alaska diet, FRESH Halibut, Moose Roast, Huge shrimp, stews that warm your soul, vegetables grown right at our own greenhouse. Pies, OMG, Pies, and of course some local fluid to wash it down.

Now, that I have told my secret of life, there is always next year for those of you that want to join me next year.

Love you all on the forum, will share when I get my ticker fixed up next week as to what is going on. Plumb

·
Super Moderator
17,965 Posts
Praying for you brother Plumb!! Stay strong. ;)

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
We hope you you get your heath issues sorted out. Dirtluver and I enjoyed our time together with you in Moab. Take care our friend.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
You take care my friend. Mrs. Trip sends you a big hug!

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Wow Plum, hope you get this all ironed out. As bad as I am to myself I have no advice to offer other than push the doctors to get to the source and fix it. Second and third opinions can often bring the results but reliance upon just one doctor can be deadly if he/she has head up ass syndrome and does not put the thought into what is really going on. Some doctors have this attitude, Take 2 aspirin and come back and see me next week if you are still alive. My previous doctors, from a group practice, were just that type. Once they learned I smoke they all took the same attitude and blame any and all ailments on smoking. One female doctor actually refused to even examine me because she smelled I was a smoker and claimed she was allergic and could not be in the same room as me. I told her she should probably consult an allergist about her problem and left her office and their entire practice.

GaryL

·
Registered
13,649 Posts
Who did you piss off or what did you do in your past to have such "unluck"?

Did you steal too many of littletommy's donuts when you visited him and he put "the donut curse" on you or what? Did you eat too much biscuits-n-gravy with said donuts and wash it down with a concoction of Red Bull and Whole Milk?

Man, I hope the witch doctors get your health sorted out so you can go on living the dream without restrictions. I mean I know we slow down some as we get older but having to be careful of not bumping your head, that's just a bucket full of crazy restrictions.

May they shock the ticker back into a rhythm or whatever it's supposed to be doing to run right. My thoughts are with you and get well so you can start slinging the ax again!

upbeat_day_sign.png so you can look forward to tomorrow article-1178418-01066CC400000578-349_468x365.jpg <------- you wish! :D

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Get yourself to a good cardiac electrophysiologist and get an ablation to get rid of it. Cardioversion may get you back to a regular sinus rhythm for a while but it will probably recur. An ablation will more likely get rid of it. The anticoagulants and getting on and off of them, can sometimes be worse than the afib.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Plumb, We've never met but I understand we're neighbors. Lol . Wishing you a speedy & successful recovery. It's bumps in the road like this that really make us appreciate life & all it has to offer.
Hope to meet you soon. I may even break out one of my best Hickory Shirts for the occasion : )))
Bob O

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Hey Mr. Straight, wanted to say Hi and wish you well.

I was a regular here a couple years ago and remember you well. I liked you and thought you a good man with a great attitude.
I can't offer medical advice on heart issues, but if you ever have T2 diabetes, prostate cancer, or break 13 bones with mild brain injury & internal injuries in a motorcycle wreck...talk to me, buddy!

One thing though, and you've probably thought of it with your bending down issue...go to Harbor Freight or a good drug store and get a "pick-up tool" or "grabber" so you don't have to stoop over for most things. You can find them from $5.00 to $50.00! How many times have we all bent over for a newspaper or sox or underwear or a dropped rubber or something!?
Use a cane for boost & steadiness when you get up from sitting or bed.

Get as much exercise as you can! Sorry if I sound "preachy" but I am 73 and have been there/done a lot of that stuff.

Thank you Sir, for your military service! And being a paratrooper! I was Army Infantry and a jumper, but not at the same time...civilian skydiving.
My tour was stateside but I have nothing but respect for you deployed "real" soldiers. Every time I see a Veteran cap I thank them for their service and shake their hand. Almost all really appreciate it.
Sometimes they want to talk and I *always* make the time.
Yesterday I met a super-friendly black gentleman, about our ages. He was wearing Purple Heart & Bronze Star patches. When I asked, he said he actually had 2 Bronze Stars!. He said he got the first Star on his '68 tour, got the second one in '69 tour. He laughed and said, "When I got that second one is when I got my Purple Heart, too!" I wanted to buy his lunch and talk some more, but he was on a road trip and didn't have time...my loss!

Do you think your heart condition is Viet Nam related? Most of my 'Nam Vet buddies some some related malady, mainly fuckin' agent orange.

You take good care of yourself now and post up...I'll be checkin' in on you! :booty:

I'll leave you with a piece of good advice to us all, from some Air Force General you may have heard of:
You do what you can for as long as you can, and when you finally can't, you do the next best thing.
You back up but you don't give up.
- Chuck Yeager

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
I am back down from Ak for a bit. Have been having an Afib issue for a while and they put me on a blood thinner big time. You know when they stick you for a blood sample and put a simple pad and tape on your arm. Well just had that done yesterday and when I got home my shirt was bloody from the middle of the bicep to the middle of my forearm. Didn't notice till I took the shirt off.
Back home and will be at the Univercity of Washington in Seattle on Monday. They are going to cardiovert my ticker and try to get it back in rythym. I do ok just plodding along, but any stress and I am out of breath in just seconds. With my blood like water, if I bend over it feels like my head is going to explode. I try to not bend over to much to pick up anything as it may cause me to pop a vessel up there. They told me when I started to take the thinner that if I bump my head to immediately go to the hospital to make sure I haven't caused a bleed.

So, no riding the TW, no going out boating, just no major bashing around and taking a chance of getting hit. I do putt around on the quad, but that is it for exitement.

Have been putting away some serious fish for the winter. Smoked about 50 lbs of sockeye, 22 5cup bags of rhubarb for pies and more when I get up there. The rest of the 5cu ft freezer is sockeye. Everything is shrinkwrapped.

Will most likely stay down here till the 3rd week of Aug and take a flight back up to get my booty.

Had quite a ride on the way up. That new red cargo trailer is not new anymore. Broke a bolt and it left me in the Yukon. When I looked back and realized I didn't have any red paint following me you can imagine what went through my mind. It out through the black spruce wadded up in a ball. I had my quad in it and I was wondering if I did find it could I get it out and as I was hauling at tractor with emplements, how was I going to put it on the truck.
As it turned out, a golden angel was on my shoulder. the road was straight and smooth, a bit uphill with a gentle corner. It must have slowed down and when it left the road on the curve it just went over the edge and stopped. It only folded up the under skirting on the front and tossed things around inside. I was able to get off the road a few thousand feet up the road and back up to it. It was at quite an angle off the shoulder and I was able to fire the tractor up and lift a bit with the loader, tie off the other end of the chain tongue to frame and do some gentle pulls to tease it down. Hooked it all back up, followed the shoulder back up the road and was able to get up a bit of speed to get the load and trailer back up on pavement.

Life is good, equipment broke in, all is in one piece, made it to destination, been camping out in a great place with cook inlet two blocks away and the Kenai river on the other side. Freezer is full, great campfires everynight, a tavern next door, which we cook for and have meals that are wonderful. You know the Alaska diet, FRESH Halibut, Moose Roast, Huge shrimp, stews that warm your soul, vegetables grown right at our own greenhouse. Pies, OMG, Pies, and of course some local fluid to wash it down.

Now, that I have told my secret of life, there is always next year for those of you that want to join me next year.

Love you all on the forum, will share when I get my ticker fixed up next week as to what is going on. Plumb
Plumb in one easy{but painful to read}post tells us all about the "Joys of Aging":rolleyes:

A couple of my non professional medical tips...{1} get off those Gawd Damn Blood Thinners as soon as possible....I was on them for a couple of months after my Carotid Surgery in 2012 and finally told the Doc to "FO" and went off and back to taking just a single aspirin for that stuff... {2} Grow your damn beard back, that way no shaving and risk of cutting from same{not to mention you ain't Plumb without the whiskers}...:D {3} Drop the pounds if you can {depends on the meds sometimes} and drink "Lite Beer"...less carbs and other stuff that keeps the weight packed on... {4} Seriously my friend, my prayers are with you....we want to keep you around, regardless whether you are TWing or on the Quads....

Get Well....:angel:

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
For those of you who have never met "Plumb" in person....

Here is the Man from Moab 2015....Doing his best "Santa" impression at the Blue Pig Dinner on Night #2....March 23, 2015...:p

Moab 2015 First Report 050.JPG

·
Registered
20,190 Posts
Plumbstraight is one mighty impressive man I am proud to call my friend.
They say the secret of life is to always have something good to look forward to.
I look forward to riding with Plumbstraight again.

P.S.- No one tells a better story, or joke, than our Randall. If you get a chance to break bread, or cut the dust of the trail with him you will come away well entertained.

·
Registered
88 Posts
We're praying for you partner. Can't help with any med advice but I imagine you're gettin plenty. Hope you are taking advantage of all the things you still can do until you get back on top. Once you get back in good shape remember to live it up while you can. Take care brother, hope our paths cross soon. Deb sends her love.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Get yourself to a good cardiac electrophysiologist and get an ablation to get rid of it. Cardioversion may get you back to a regular sinus rhythm for a while but it will probably recur. An ablation will more likely get rid of it. The anticoagulants and getting on and off of them, can sometimes be worse than the afib.
Comment on above, I have had Afib for years. Had a couple of cardioversions but they did not hold over a few months. The alternatives to correct are dangerous so I opted just to live with it. Your INR should be between 2 and 3 never higher. If your having those issues with bleeding you have the wrong dose of rat poison. My meds for HBP as adjusted as such my heart rate is not regular but never over maybe 80 or so. I never have bleeding spells, or issues with bruises. BTW I turn 74 next week, and may God Bless you and keep you safe, guide the doctors hands Lord.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you all for your heartfelt concerns for me. My sister is a nurse and as said by wmgeorge, Afib is livable. I think a lot of my weakness is from the drugs they have me on. After getting cardioverted on Monday I am hoping things will get straightened out. Will be leaving on Sunday and stay over with a friend. They have the highway to Seattle so torn up it takes hours to get through.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts