TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's starting to get a little chilly up here in Upstate NY and I've been trying to weigh some different options to keep my hands a little warmer. Anything from some of those oven mitts snowmobile guys use, to some quality gloves. I head home from work around 1130 or midnight or so I tend to get a good bit of windchill on my rides home. I tried using some big think nice cold weather gloves I had laying around but I greatly disliked how the negatively affected my ability to manipulate my controls. Mitts seem like a good alternative but I guess knowing my hands are...trapped? Or something like that in a mitt kinda makes me uneasy, maybe that feeling is unwarranted as I don't have any experience with them. The most viable option I feel is a some thin cold weather gloves and heated grips. These ones in particular.

Amazon.com: Tusk Grip Heater Kit: Automotive

So that was a long way of asking what everyone else does once the fun part of the riding year starts. Thank you gentlemen.

·
Registered
13,719 Posts
Another option from what is listed above, is the ATV Mitts as you mentioned.

My only opposition to electrical warming devices is I didn't want to mess with anything electrical to keep me warm if I can help it. Otherwise I think electrically heat equipment is pretty good. If you decided to go with electrical warming gear, you may still want to use ATV Mitts in conjunction with the electrical stuff.

Not sure of the expensive of the electrically heated gear, but the ATV Mitts can be inexpensive by my standards ($20 ish).

I've used my ATV Mitts for several years now and have been very satisfied. I can wear my regular motocross style gloves, or thinly insulated one's without my hands/fingers getting cold. Never wear the thick winter gloves with the ATV Mitts. I too worried about my hands having that "trapped feeling", but this has never been an issue. I can get my hands out quite quickly if need be. I've never fallen on the trail with my hands still on the bars.

I did have to make a modification on the ATV Mitts to accommodate the mirrors. I had to cut a slit in the ATV Mitts so they could slip past the mirror stems. I just sewed the parts I cut so the stuffing wouldn't fall out. I also zip tie them in conjunction with the attached ATV Mitt straps.

Here's a picture of mine

Some sample prices from this Amazon search. $12-$35 dollars or so

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=atv+hand+mitts&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=25058561395&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9219243381148884895&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_8x4ghfwdrw_b

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Another option from what is listed above, is the ATV Mitts as you mentioned.

My only opposition to electrical warming devices is I didn't want to mess with anything electrical to keep me warm if I can help it. Otherwise I think electrically heat equipment is pretty good. If you decided to go with electrical warming gear, you may still want to use ATV Mitts in conjunction with the electrical stuff.

Not sure of the expensive of the electrically heated gear, but the ATV Mitts can be inexpensive by my standards ($20 ish).

I've used my ATV Mitts for several years now and have been very satisfied. I can wear my regular motocross style gloves, or thinly insulated one's without my hands/fingers getting cold. Never wear the thick winter gloves with the ATV Mitts. I too worried about my hands having that "trapped feeling", but this has never been an issue. I can get my hands out quite quickly if need be. I've never fallen on the trail with my hands still on the bars.

I did have to make a modification on the ATV Mitts to accommodate the mirrors. I had to cut a slit in the ATV Mitts so they could slip past the mirror stems. I just sewed the parts I cut so the stuffing wouldn't fall out. I also zip tie them in conjunction with the attached ATV Mitt straps.

Here's a picture of mine

Some sample prices from this Amazon search. $12-$35 dollars or so

Amazon.com: atv hand mitts
Admiral. You are truly the Admiral. That picture of your bike speaks volumes.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Anybody interested in heated grips might want to check out the Aerostitch Rider Warehouse catalog. They are a very reliable outfit.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Cold really bothers all the healed fractures in my fingers and hands, 28 at last count). All the bikes I actually ride have grip heaters. Cheap stuff with no name from China. I buy 2 sets of grips then use a throttle size on the left side over several layers of heat shrink tubing. The heat shrink insulates the heater from the bars just as the throttle tube does on the right, so the heater gets warmer faster than when the bars conduct the heat away. The extra 2 grips fit ATVs (no throttle) perfectly, and make a nice gift to friends with ATVs.

I also use Hippo Hands or cheaper homemade devices sans insulation over brush guards to keep them off the levers on the highway. Between the grip heaters and the Hippo Hands I wear a good pair of insulated winter gloves with a waterproof and windproof cover. All my winter gloves are the gauntlet type that close tightly with a drawstring well above the wrist--keeps the wind and rain out.

The grip heaters I use come with a 3-position switch: high, low, and off. Low simply has a resistor in series with the heaters. I found myself turning the heaters on and off constantly, so wired in a second switch AFTER the original on the low side circuit with that is on, off, on, in series with resistors the same and double the stock resistance of the low side resistor, so now I have high, low, low-low, and low-low-low. Low-low-low is perfect for balmy days and I don't have to keep cycling the system off and on. Low is perfect for way colder than I need to be riding. High is only for initial warm up.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
I've got the Oxford grips and love them. Charging system keeps up with them and no problems so far.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gentlemen I appreciate all the input. I ended up going with the ones I listed previously. A good price and good amazon reviews lead me to them. I was considering splicing into the power wire for the tail light to make sure power will be supplied only when the key is on. Any thoughts on that strategy? I though about running a relay but I'm a simple man and like to keep things that way.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
I would add a relay for the grips, you can use the tail light to activate the relay but I would NOT use the tail light lead to power the grips.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just an update and a quick product review on the heaters I listed in the beginning of this post.

The price was right for these things. On the High setting they border on a little too hot which I reckon is a good thing for warming up. These coupled with my Fox Antifreeze gloves seem to be a pretty solid combination. My only complaint, if you could even call it that is that the adhesive on the back of the heater pads is a little weak. Now they stayed on fine during grip installation but the corners and edges of the pads weren't completely flush with the bars despite my best efforts. I bet with 1" bars this would not be an issue, and to be honest it really wasn't with the 7/8"s.

All I have to do now is either find a place to mount the switch which requires a 1/2" hole somewhere discrete or get a new switch. I also play on installing a little 12v gauge somewhere just to keep my mind at ease when running these warmers. So if anyone is looking for a solid wet of warmers and runs brush guards like I do I definitely recommend these by tusk. I would have opted for the Oxfords like were recommended to me previously, but I didn't want to hack apart somethings as pricey as those.

·
Registered
6,435 Posts
Just an update and a quick product review on the heaters I listed in the beginning of this post.

The price was right for these things. On the High setting they border on a little too hot which I reckon is a good thing for warming up. These coupled with my Fox Antifreeze gloves seem to be a pretty solid combination. My only complaint, if you could even call it that is that the adhesive on the back of the heater pads is a little weak. Now they stayed on fine during grip installation but the corners and edges of the pads weren't completely flush with the bars despite my best efforts. I bet with 1" bars this would not be an issue, and to be honest it really wasn't with the 7/8"s.

All I have to do now is either find a place to mount the switch which requires a 1/2" hole somewhere discrete or get a new switch. I also play on installing a little 12v gauge somewhere just to keep my mind at ease when running these warmers. So if anyone is looking for a solid wet of warmers and runs brush guards like I do I definitely recommend these by tusk. I would have opted for the Oxfords like were recommended to me previously, but I didn't want to hack apart somethings as pricey as those.
Thank you for the follow up on these. What temps have you used them in so far. It was 42 here today and rode rather comfortably for about an hour. My hands were the only thing that got cold but I have no added protection to help keep them warm.

Tom

1 - 15 of 15 Posts