TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the BLM and USFS decided Hell Week would be cut short. The smoke was too thick and the wind too strong....According to them anyway. To me, the wind seemed the same as usual, and the smoke only looked thick from the bottom of the mountain. Pretty clear where I was at. So I did as they asked and left. (Good luck getting all the hunters to comply.)
Private did great. I'm so proud of him. He went up and down every road, and trail with the greatest of ease. Someone told me before I left, the more weight I put on back, the Squirlier my bike would be. They couldn't have been more wrong. Through pavement, dirt, loose gravel, rock, sand, and moon dust, maintained perfect stability. He climbed like a llama. Going to put him through a couple more days of rides out at the Rez and a couple other places before he gets cleaned up for graduation.
Up a cow trail off Overland Pass, Hastings Cutoff, Pony Express Route.
Resized_20180820_153443.jpeg Resized_20180820_153512.jpeg
Eastern Side of the Ruby Mtns. Ruby Lake (Marshes)
Resized_20180820_161411.jpeg Resized_20180820_161453.jpeg Resized_20180820_165710.jpeg
Dbl track off Harrison Pass.
Resized_20180820_173733.jpeg Resized_20180820_192352.jpeg Resized_20180820_192500.jpeg
And the only smoke was the steam from my coffee.:evil6:

·
Registered
19,406 Posts
Too bad the public land administrators felt they had to ask folks to leave. Seems somewhat extreme for the conditions seen in pictures although if winds were severe I could see a campfire ban.

Last weekend I did some research and selected our group camp site about a mile beyond a common border between two national forests, one permitting, the other banning fires. We had a nice campfire. Same environment and same fire risk, just different policies on what public can be trusted with.
Around here I have recently heard broadcasted advice to stay put and call for help whenever anything bad happens in the woods, and to not go to places without cell phone coverage. I was surprised and disappointed to hear that. Sounds like advice for inexperienced visitors. What ever happened to Scouting and self reliance? sheep.jpg

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I'll have to ask... what are you going to do with those sheep?

·
Registered
13,334 Posts
I read what you wrote but why did the FS and BLM ask (tell) you to leave? There ain't even any active fires in the area according to GeoMAC Wildfire Viewer. We once camped where the fire was on the other side of ridge and we could see the smoke billows and weren't asked to leave. The valley was very thick with smoke. I've never been asked to leave because of smoke from other states fires or fires in-state many miles away. The smoke in our area has been so thick we can't see our mountains which are as close if not closer than this photo. FS and BLM are bucket full of crazy cautious.

Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed what riding/camping you did get to do. Good stuff.

Neat campsite. I love camping in the quakies and Junipers.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know why they were asking folks to leave. I think maybe just a bunch of nervous nellies. It was probably more suggestive than an order. It was pretty dry, and bow season started Monday so the hills were crawling with hunters like Mormon crickets.
The marshes were at great water level, tried casting a few times but the wind was wicked through Ruby Valley. It seemed like just about every road and trail I went up I saw a camp, or hiking hunters, so I did the courteous thing and went to find another unoccupied spot. The one I settled on was great. Quakies and junies everywhere. Just as I sat down for supper, a RZR rolled past with some youngsters and never came back down. It sprinkled a bit overnight but was dry by the time I got up.
I was on the border of BLM and FS, so naturally it was the BLM that pulled up. FS put up their no fire signs so that was probably good enough for them.

·
Registered
19,406 Posts
You sure found a beautiful place to camp.
Since I see you pack a grill maybe I should come pay a visit and bring the steaks.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
More than welcome to join. But we'd have to wait for the fire ban to be lifted. I don't think the heating bags in MRE's will do it.

·
Registered
19,406 Posts
I'ld have to lighten my load out, no furry stowaways like this afternoon's volonteer.

Here is th blurry dog evicts the blurry cat off the blurry seat. She thinks this makes room for her dog food.

I'm a VersaPack Rat was just stacking up some of the various options and conbinations.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hi there, I'm a new member, I do not even have the bike yet. Right out of the showroom floor the bike has no storage whatsoever. Your bike has a rack where you managed to load quite a bit of stuff on. Is it commercially available or is it a custom build. Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No worries Hell Hound, its a cycleracks.com rear rack. Proudly made in the USA by two fine gentlemen in Boise. I don't have the link but if you go to cycleracks.com, its all right there. And welcome to the forum.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts