TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking for a dual sport bike and have narrowed it down to a few choices, being as my inside leg is only 31 inches it cuts out bikes like DRZ400SM and KLR650 etc, and I really don't want to lower a bike.
So I was looking at the XT250 Yamaha and then I noticed the TW200, I watched videos and its like love at first sight. I have never heard of this bike before, how I don't know.
Presently I have a Suzuki Savage 650 that I run to work in the warmer months, so speed is not a big deal with me. The last time I rode a bike flat out was when I was 20 on my Z650 and that was 38 years ago ;)
My ride to work is 26km each way, no highway, but a stretch of road with a 90kph limit of about 10 km in length the rest at 80kph. Oh, there are a few hills to climb.
So my question, do you guys think the TW could be a good commuter bike? I don't need to go past the 90kph limit as the Police live on this road and make a killing in speeding fines.
I could see myself riding to work and then going out with my camera on the logging roads on weekends. At the moment I dont ride for pleasure as bikes just don't do it for me anymore, I want more than a ride to Tim Hortons for coffee, I want a smile from ear to ear :D. If the TW you feel is not going to cut it then I will get my second choice the XT250 and here they are the same price, TW $4999, XT 5100.
Thanks for reading, and I have loved reading and looking around the forums here over the last weeks.

Registered
When I was still working I had a commute similiar to yours and the TW did just fine and although the little engine feels like it is going to explode at the higher speeds it does just fine and gives great MPG and many "smiles per mile".
I installed a 15 tooth sprocket and that calmed the little beast down somewhat at the higher speeds.

Registered
If 90 kph is all you require, a stock TW will have no issues.
Mine is geared lower and still pulls 90 kph.
The xt is a better road bike, but the TW is the better trail bike.

Registered
At 90 kph the TW is at its limit. Get the XT250, it will be a better bike for you.

With all due respect I disagree. Not only did I commute with my TW but I also had it on two 4000klm plus adventure tours fully loaded with all the gear I needed. There were times during those trips when I was forced to run on the highways and hold the throttle WFO for extended periods. Like I said before the bike did just fine and had no problem doing the speed limit of 100kph although on long hills at higher altitudes the speed suffered somewhat. You just need to keep your eye on the oil level during extended high speed runs. My bike now has over 25,000km's on it and she runs just as good as the day I bought it.
The OP said he was looking for a bike that would give him a "smile from ear to ear". Of all my bikes, two of which are much more capable highway machines, I get more "smiles per miles" from the little TW. The thing is just so much fun to ride. IMHO

Registered
Welcome zippythezip :D

I ride my TW to work 13 miles each direction on a two lane highway with speeds reaching 55 mph with no problems. I actually rotate my bikes so I don't ride the TW everyday but when I do ride it, I am more likely to meander home on twistier back roads that run along our shoreline just because the TW is so fun in meander mode. If I had gravel forest roads here I would take them on my ride home but pretty much any gravel road I turn up is going to land me in someone's front yard....don't think they would appreciate that :p

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies folks, sounds like the little bike could do it but no more. If only the little bike had another 25cc on the motor.
Going to work is good for me as I am nearly always the only one at 6.30 am. Coming home at 4pm is nuts with the crazies rushing home to the couch.
This weekend I will be going into Moncton NB and have a look at these bikes in the flesh.

Super Moderator
More smiles per mile on a TW!

I run run mine pretty hard too, it pulls a big load too (my ass) and it doesn't complain. Change the oil every 300 if your gonna run real hard though. That's when mine stops shifting like butter and the oil has a slight discoloration. It's all about the oil...

With all due respect I disagree. Not only did I commute with my TW but I also had it on two 4000klm plus adventure tours fully loaded with all the gear I needed. There were times during those trips when I was forced to run on the highways and hold the throttle WFO for extended periods. Like I said before the bike did just fine and had no problem doing the speed limit of 100kph although on long hills at higher altitudes the speed suffered somewhat. You just need to keep your eye on the oil level during extended high speed runs. My bike now has over 25,000km's on it and she runs just as good as the day I bought it.
The OP said he was looking for a bike that would give him a "smile from ear to ear". Of all my bikes, two of which are much more capable highway machines, I get more "smiles per miles" from the little TW. The thing is just so much fun to ride. IMHO

Registered
I considered both bikes last year. I eventually settled on the TW. I'm about 240lbs and it has no trouble running 55mph. 60mph is about tops and that's pushing it pretty hard. All that said, I haven't regretted for a second buying the TW. I rode 50 plus miles through forest service roads a couple of weekends ago and enjoyed every minute of it.

Registered
If you liked the Savage, you'll LOVE the TW. It has the same simplicity - less the belt drive, of course - but lighter weight, easier to warm up. A LITTLE slower. But IMHO a better riding position.

I have had some acquaintance with the Savage. To me it's like an old VW Beetle - it's a fun car to drive now and then. But you wouldn't want to have it as your only ride.

And...the TW will be a lot more saleable if/when the time comes.

Registered
Either bike would likely rekindle the joy of motorcycling. An XT225 accompanied our group of TWs trail riding this weekend and was no slouch off road, plus it's sixth gear and larger displacement made it the winner in a few impromptu races.

Registered
So my question, do you guys think the TW could be a good commuter bike? I don't need to go past the 90kph limit as the Police live on this road and make a killing in speeding fines.
I could see myself riding to work and then going out with my camera on the logging roads on weekends. At the moment I dont ride for pleasure as bikes just don't do it for me anymore, I want more than a ride to Tim Hortons for coffee, I want a smile from ear to ear :D. If the TW you feel is not going to cut it then I will get my second choice the XT250 and here they are the same price, TW $4999, XT 5100.
Thanks for reading, and I have loved reading and looking around the forums here over the last weeks.
Google

Once broken in - this is important - the TW will do a reliable 55 mph. That works out to 88.5 in your world, as the link shows.

This varies by individual bikes - some will go faster. And...I speak from experience here...NO, you will not be able to travel that fast on a new machine. Not only is it damaging on an engine not broken-in; but it's physically impossible. That tiny TW powerplant is, really, pushed to its limit. After a thousand miles, about 1800 km, you can feel it loosen up, as it runs freer, with better gas mileage.

You sound like the ideal TW buyer, but know what you're getting. Perhaps, because of the need for some speed, you'd be better off buying a used model that you can run flat-out right away - on your way to work or trailhead.

Registered
I have owned 7 TWs and a nice XT225 with 6 speeds. Every TW would easily go 65 MPH with my 200 pound load on them and the XT was a much nicer ride on the pavement but not on the trails. I would go with the TW if I were in your situation and the fat tires do make a major difference off the roads but they also do rob some of the power when on the roads. Running at 55 MPH is not at all an issue with a TW and 65 MPH is also OK for short runs of a few miles or so. The XT 225 will be a smoother ride at top speeds on the pavement with the 6th gear but the XT 250 only has 5 speeds so I suspect very close to the same as a TW.

GaryL

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
If you liked the Savage, you'll LOVE the TW. It has the same simplicity - less the belt drive, of course - but lighter weight, easier to warm up. A LITTLE slower. But IMHO a better riding position.

I have had some acquaintance with the Savage. To me it's like an old VW Beetle - it's a fun car to drive now and then. But you wouldn't want to have it as your only ride.

And...the TW will be a lot more saleable if/when the time comes.
I like that, the perfect description of my Savage.
The bike is an Ok bike with a few flaws. Its really uncomfortable due to the custom seating as you cant shift your rear end back to take pressure of your knees, The auto cam chain tensioner is a poor design.
I am leaning more and more to the TW for a bike and have started the hunt. Even If I got an XT I would look still around this forum, nice folks here.

Super Moderator
I like that, the perfect description of my Savage.
The bike is an Ok bike with a few flaws. Its really uncomfortable due to the custom seating as you cant shift your rear end back to take pressure of your knees, The auto cam chain tensioner is a poor design.
I am leaning more and more to the TW for a bike and have started the hunt. Even If I got an XT I would look still around this forum, nice folks here.

Get an XT and a TW and combine them to make a 225 6 Speed SuperBike! :)

Registered
I will never understand Yamaha's design engineers. The TW 200 is and always has been a 200 CC 5 speed bike and we all wish it had a bigger engine and a six speed transmission. They make the XT 225 with a little more power and the six speeds and it is a nice bike but different from the TW. Then they add yet another 25 more CCs to the XT making it an XT 250 but they bring it back to a 5 speed gear box, WTF?

MEMO TO YAMAHA, How about a TW 250 or 300 with a six speed transmission and while you are at it offer this model with both a carburetor and with fuel injection and lose that God awful Death Wing front tire.

GaryL

1 - 20 of 27 Posts