TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey TW peeps!

New guy here, just picked up a 1989 TW200 a week ago. It's in excellent shape for it's age with just around 2k miles.

I'm located in the Knoxville TN area. Will be keeping an eye out for nearby ride opps.

The bike runs fine. It is all original. Previous owner had no idea about it's maintenance history. Figure I'll start with replacing tires, fluids, filters and lube. Any other maintenance based on age alone I should perform?

Would be glad to hear advice from any other TW200 owners. Cheers!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
cool smurf bike and welcome to the forum! Sounds like you are on track with the maintenance unless there is something obviously broken on the bike. The most important part is to ride it

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Welcome.

If the success of Gaprunr's recent ride is any gauge, your area has a very high concentration of active Tw riders.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I bought a low mileage 89 with original tires and they are still fine. No age cracks and I'll change them out if they ever do.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Welcome to the addiction !! Nice looking bike. Must have been kept inside, looks babied.

You certainly live in a beautiful part of the country! Should be some great riding buddies around there.

Bag

·
Registered
215 Posts
Double check those tires! When I got my 01 (after all the mud and dirt came off)there were some cracks. Congrats on the new bike and ride safe!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, the guy I bought it from kept it in his den!

After a short ride yesterday I noticed the front tire had began splitting long ways. So I have replacement tires ordered.

Gonna definitely make the next TurtlePalooza.

·
Super Moderator
1,920 Posts
Yep, the guy I bought it from kept it in his den!

After a short ride yesterday I noticed the front tire had began splitting long ways. So I have replacement tires ordered.

Gonna definitely make the next TurtlePalooza.

Hope you have been reading posts here about the stock front tire. I just put on the Goldenboy SR244 on our 2nd TW and what a difference it made. I noticed it right away in the first corner I took. Feels more what I'm used to with my TW and the maxxis 6006 on my bike. I think I paid $62.00 with shipping from bikebandit.com. Enjoy your new ride, sounds like lots of areas to explore.

·
Registered
459 Posts
New guy here, <snip> I'm located in the Knoxville TN area.

Welcome!

There's a few TW's around here. I'm in Friendsville and there are a couple around here, and there are a couple in Maryville as well. I've got a shop in Friendsville (DualSportTouring.com) if you ever get down this way. I stock a few TW things, like tubes, oil filters, sprockets, base gaskets, etc. and can get pretty much anything. I often ride my TW to work as well, so it is often here.

This is a great group with a bunch of helpful people. Enjoy your TW!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I stock a few TW things, like tubes, oil filters, sprockets, base gaskets, etc. and can get pretty much anything. I often ride my TW to work as well, so it is often here.

This is a great group with a bunch of helpful people. Enjoy your TW!
Thanks, pm on the way

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I may be stating the obvious, but new tubes for your tires are in order too. Old rubber = big problems.

Rim liners too. (The big rubber band that protects the tube from the spokes.

Take a good look at all rubber & plastic items on the bike as you put your first miles on it, it's worth the $$ to replace anything that may be looking / getting funky. Being within visiting distance of GapRunr you can always see if he can give you a second opinion on something you're wondering if you should replace.

Also you may want to check out a product called “Ride On” for motorcycles, search the word on this forum for more info. My two cents, & enjoy that bike. m.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts