TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I joined the t-dub club last night! After a summer trip with a friend, I became aware of just how awesome the bike is. When the terrain got too sketchy on my klr, we would double up on her tw with no problems. I'll post some pics in the adventure/off road section. My new to me 2010 needs a few parts replaced, then I plan on setting it up for winter riding. Thinking chain on rear tire and ice screws on the front. Any advice is greatly appreciated! What a great forum! image.jpg

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
welcome. Looking forward to some pics of your adventures in Alaska

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Lots of pictures with tire chains and screw studs, because I don't plan on any of that experience at this point in my life. I will just view your pictures and enjoy snow and winter riding through your posts.
Mel

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello Sled and welcome

I guess some of us are just more Alaskan than others!

I'll probably only get another ride or 2 in before it gets parked and the tracked vehicle comes out, depending on when the snow gets here.

I'm not sure why, I crash the snowmachine WAY more, must not be trying hard enough on the TW.

Wade

·
Registered
13,795 Posts
I joined the t-dub club last night! Thinking chain on rear tire and ice screws on the front. Any advice is greatly appreciated! What a great forum!
Welcome, love to see photo's and video's from more folks up your way.

Should you go the tire chain route, a few of us on the forum use them. I use a tire chain on my TW during winter

For ease of putting them on and off, I'm thinking of chain straps like these. Maybe for the front tire too.

For the front tire I used sheet metal screws on my Shinko 244 front tire. Worked well on packed snow and ice last year. Once of your Alaska brethren mentioned not putting the screws in the middle of the tire like I did, only on the outer lugs. I'm gonna try that this year. Thinking of fitting tire chains to the front tire which work better in looser snow conditions.

This setup has worked well for me where I tend to ride in the winter.

Happy trails

·
Registered
603 Posts
I'm jealous of the picture with the dog on the back. I had no idea I'd want to take my dog with me on a M/C or I might have gotten a smaller one.

·
Registered
13,795 Posts
She's good company! I don't feel lonely when Georgie is riding with me. She's loyal as all getout!

·
Registered
240 Posts
If you do screws in the front, why not in the rear too?:cower::dontknow: More "biting" edges with less distance between them than a chain provides seems safer/more predictable.:confused2: The possibility of throwing a chain would keep me on edge.:shocked::puke:

·
Registered
13,795 Posts
I've ridden pretty hard with the chains on and have not had any a problems. I take the tire off and have chain tension rubber on each side.

The reason I used chains is I didn't have enough tread on my old tire to use screws or studs on the rear tire. With my new tire I suppose this is possible now since there is more tread depth. Based on where I ride and my experience, I think chains work better on loose snow better than screws. If I rode more on packed snow/ice I would certainly think screws or studs would work great, especially if one also rides on some pavement which I do not. Chains have worked on the packed stuff without issue as well.

Oh, and the chains work good in mud too:D

·
Registered
385 Posts
Welcome, love to see photo's and video's from more folks up your way.

Should you go the tire chain route, a few of us on the forum use them. I use a tire chain on my TW during winter

For ease of putting them on and off, I'm thinking of chain straps like these. Maybe for the front tire too.

For the front tire I used sheet metal screws on my Shinko 244 front tire. Worked well on packed snow and ice last year. Once of your Alaska brethren mentioned not putting the screws in the middle of the tire like I did, only on the outer lugs. I'm gonna try that this year. Thinking of fitting tire chains to the front tire which work better in looser snow conditions.

This setup has worked well for me where I tend to ride in the winter.

Happy trails
Love the hammer...
Dog Optional - You obviously did not ask Georgie!
What kind of Windscreen is that?

·
Registered
13,795 Posts
What size is the chain? I may have to find a set...
Sorry, I dunno. Stray set my father in law found along side the road. I tried them and they worked so I was happy.

·
Registered
13,795 Posts
What kind of Windscreen is that?
Sorry I missed this before. It's a Spit Fire windscreen from Slip Streamer or something like that.

·
Registered
858 Posts
love the dog on TW. Theres one fellow ive seen riding around the valley that has a rubbermaid container bloted to his rack. Inside the container is a large shepherd type of dog. If I remember right he then had the container lid with a hole cut in the top for his dog to stick out of. Never met the guy, but seemed like a neat setup.

·
Registered
1 Posts
image.jpg
A buddy and I went to fire and fastners and bought 1/4 hex head sheet metal screws with the flAt head slot . For like $12 for 400 . It handles great . We ended up putting screws in every lug. Front tire and rear. Does great on a couple of inches of snow or less.. Awesome on ice. The motorcycle shop has studs but they are about a dollar a stud

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sweet. I got kold kutter ice screws from go pro back in November. They were $60 for 1000. Really happy with them. Going to leave them on as I'll be on a boat from end of march until November.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts