TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everybody,

About 3 months ago my wife informed me I was having a midlife crisis and told me that I had to do something about it. So I bought a couple used TWs from a forum member who moved to my neck of the woods (or desert.) One had previously been converted into a cafe racer and the other was a farm bike. I'm currently in the process of fixing both up so I can reliably go into the hills behind my house without getting into trouble. :)

As I've been going through past posts almost every question I've had about these bikes has already been answered. This forum truly is a great resource. Thanks.

-Sam (glowspud)

IMG_20190921_172436.jpg IMG_20190921_172417.jpg

·
Super Moderator
17,630 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! :D

·
Registered
287 Posts
As time rolls on, the bell is rung,
The clang we hear, says not so young.

The first to deem, we be elder louses,
It always seems, to be the spouses!

A greater Forum, one never finds,
To attack the Dub, without the blinds.

So conquer those hills, and roll the dices,
As you swallow the pills, of The Midlife Crisis!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Nothing like a good mid-life crisis to get you on a motorcycle(s)! Especially with your wife encouraging you. I seem to have missed my mid-life crisis, perhaps because I have been riding ever since I was 9. Probably that explains why I never grew up. Enjoy the ‘Dubs & stay safe.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Welcome aboard, Mr. Spud!
You are in the right place, Sir.

Scooterbrained...love your poem, Sir.
But one word of friendly advice: Don't quit your day job!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Hey Greetings Sam,
FIRE UP here. Just wanted to say HI and, ask a question or two. First, we just spent part of our vacation at Jordanelle St Park. What a nice place. I brought along my T-dub for the vacation and used it at several stops along the way. But, at Jordanelle, not many places to ride. The morning we left, as we hit I-15, there were fires burning to the west of us and the whole area was smoking. I see that your "Eagle Mt" area was to the west of 15, did the fires affect you in any way? And second, have you ever done any riding in the Richfield area? We camped in the KOA in Richfield and, I road that little T-dub across (actually under it) I-70 and, there's a zillion miles of trails in that area. Anyway, Utah's certainly got a ton of places to ride and Jeep in. What a great state.
Scott

·
Registered
287 Posts
Welcome aboard, Mr. Spud!
You are in the right place, Sir.

Scooterbrained...love your poem, Sir.
But one word of friendly advice: Don't quit your day job!
Ok then, I will heed your advice, Sir. Because;

"Frankly Darthlette, You Do Give a Damn!"

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Greetings Sam,
FIRE UP here. Just wanted to say HI and, ask a question or two. First, we just spent part of our vacation at Jordanelle St Park. What a nice place. I brought along my T-dub for the vacation and used it at several stops along the way. But, at Jordanelle, not many places to ride. The morning we left, as we hit I-15, there were fires burning to the west of us and the whole area was smoking. I see that your "Eagle Mt" area was to the west of 15, did the fires affect you in any way? And second, have you ever done any riding in the Richfield area? We camped in the KOA in Richfield and, I road that little T-dub across (actually under it) I-70 and, there's a zillion miles of trails in that area. Anyway, Utah's certainly got a ton of places to ride and Jeep in. What a great state.
Scott
Jordanelle is nice but it's hemmed in by highways, therefore not many trails. If you go south and east just a bit you'll find Strawberry Reservoir. There are campgrounds there, great fishing, and the trails are awesome and numerous. They stretch all the way to Spanish Fork Canyon on the south end of Utah Valley. That's a long ways.

My first bike was a 2-stroke Yamaha Enduro that I bought near the end of its life and I never trusted it to go too far from home. So I never got to fully explore those back trails. Also, I neglected it horribly since I was young and had no clue about maintenance. My second bike, a Yamaha TTR125, had a short run since I got married soon after acquiring it and had to give up a lot of hobbies. I'm glad to be back on a bike, especially one as nice as the TW. It really is a cushy ride, which fits my needs at this stage of life. :)

As far as the fires are concerned, they were south of me but the smoke was still horrible where I am. A lot of local kids developed respiratory issues because of them.

I've never played around the Richfield area. I've got friends from there, and they love the place, but I mostly stay local. Hopefully, that'll change as my kids get older.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As time rolls on, the bell is rung,
The clang we hear, says not so young.

The first to deem, we be elder louses,
It always seems, to be the spouses!

A greater Forum, one never finds,
To attack the Dub, without the blinds.

So conquer those hills, and roll the dices,
As you swallow the pills, of The Midlife Crisis!
A true poet! So much meaning in so few words.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. I'm sure I'll be pestering you with a lot of questions soon. I bought some old bikes with more than a few quirks, and I'm sure I'll need some wisdom that's greater than mine!

·
Registered
19,201 Posts
Anyone who likes Wallace and Gromit get a thumbs up from me. Big Welcome! :grommit:

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Wallace & Gromit...my 2 favorite Limies!
Or is it Limeys...?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey Greetings Sam,
Scott
Interestingly enough, in the hills just to the north of Jordanelle is where I've spent the most time riding my TW.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Jordanelle is nice but it's hemmed in by highways, therefore not many trails. If you go south and east just a bit you'll find Strawberry Reservoir. There are campgrounds there, great fishing, and the trails are awesome and numerous. They stretch all the way to Spanish Fork Canyon on the south end of Utah Valley. That's a long ways.

My first bike was a 2-stroke Yamaha Enduro that I bought near the end of its life and I never trusted it to go too far from home. So I never got to fully explore those back trails. Also, I neglected it horribly since I was young and had no clue about maintenance. My second bike, a Yamaha TTR125, had a short run since I got married soon after acquiring it and had to give up a lot of hobbies. I'm glad to be back on a bike, especially one as nice as the TW. It really is a cushy ride, which fits my needs at this stage of life. :)

As far as the fires are concerned, they were south of me but the smoke was still horrible where I am. A lot of local kids developed respiratory issues because of them.

I've never played around the Richfield area. I've got friends from there, and they love the place, but I mostly stay local. Hopefully, that'll change as my kids get older.

You think a TW is cushy? If so, you ought to go sit on a Suzuki Vanvan. It's an almost identical bike to the TW but, it's a bit more street oriented. It and the new Honda Monkey bike have REALLY PLUSH seats. To me, the T-dub's seat is a brick. Sooner or later I'll get with one of the seat builders and try to work out a nicer, softer seat replacement. Yeah, as for the Jordanelle area, I didn't and don't know it all that well. The last time we stayed at Jordenelle, we had our Goldwing along with us and we rode all the roads around there. This time, on our way back from that little Spaghetti specialty restaurant in Midway, we stopped at that little under ground water hole that folks swim and scuba dive in. Homestead Crater in Midway. What a bizarre place but, kind-a cool (actually a bit humid inside it) place.

On our way to Yellowstone and parts of Idaho, we came in from I-70 at Green river on highway 6 into Spanish fork and, we might have seen that Strawberry reservoir. Some that drive was really scenic.

Interestingly enough, in the hills just to the north of Jordenell is where I've spent the most time riding my TW.
Yeah, as stated, I just didn't know the area good enough for me to experiment on the T-dub, from the campground at Jordenell. We did experiment by driving to Park city for lunch. What a ZOO! Traffic city man! Heber and Midway are much more at ease. Anyway, Sure like that entire area.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, as stated, I just didn't know the area good enough for me to experiment on the T-dub, from the campground at Jordenell. We did experiment by driving to Park city for lunch. What a ZOO! Traffic city man! Heber and Midway are much more at ease. Anyway, Sure like that entire area.
Definitely stay out of Park City. That's one of the places that locals rarely go.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I need to go ride that area. All of West Mountain is on my to ride list as well.
I live on the back side of Lake Mountain so it's only a mile of paved road before I get to the dirt. Over the last couple months I've spend quite a few days exploring the trails and I'm absolutely amazed by the variety that is in my backyard.

A friend of mine, who recently bought another TW after riding mine, remarked, "Imagine, you've lived here 10 years without a motorcycle." I know. I feel the regret every day. :)

The best place to park and ride is a couple miles south of Eagle Mountain Blvd. on Lake Mountain Rd, just south of Eagle Mountain City Center. There's a large parking area and it usually has half a dozen or so trucks and trailers with motorcycles. From there you can ride all over the mountain. Communications Rd. which goes up to the summit is currently closed, but adventurous individuals can take a detour to still get there.

It's an amazing area but it takes a half dozen rides or so to really get an idea of how vast the playground is. There are lots of fire roads, trails, off-road courses, hill climbs, and mountain trails. I'm having lots of fun exploring the area.

I just need to figure out the best winter wear to keep myself warm. I've always been a fair weather rider, but I like the scenery so much I'm thinking of adapting!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts