TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

This is a greeting I've wanted to make to this forum for a long time. Been lurking here for years and thinking about the T-dub longer than I care to admit (I will in the interest of full disclosure: wanted one of these since 2001, when I first became aware of them). Life, wife, mortgage, kids, lack of motivation, etc. all conspired to keep me TW-free, but today I've finally pulled the trigger. Recently, before purchasing a motorcycle, I took the California Motorcyclist Safety Program sponsored by the CHP. While I rode motorcycles sporadically in my late teens and early 20s, I was unsure of my skills on two wheels, so the course seemed like a good idea.

I showed up to the course, not owning a motorcycle or having been on one in 25 yrs. To my surprise they had a couple TWs in their fleet. I asked to be assigned to one and the instructor said "sure." I got 10 hours of seat time on a TW200 during the course and enjoyed every moment of it. I left the class wanting more.

For several months I've been shopping both new and used TWs. Dealers in California charge a hefty "assembly fee" for new TWs that is not listed as part of MSRP and _none_ of them would budge on that fee. I called all over the state and showed up to as many as I could locally to show my serious intent, but out-the-door costs ranged from $5000 to $6500 for a new TW200.

In the end I decided that I could get the same experience I sought with a used TW since the bike hasn't fundamentally changed some 32 years. This theory is about to be put to the test. I like to tinker, so the thought of a non-perfect used bike was palatable. Came close on one or two bikes that were pretty rough - both 87s. My search radius was about 400 miles. After a near miss on an 87, I took a couple weeks off and wondered if I'd ever land a TW.

Then a Craiglist search yielded a 1993 with 644 miles on it in nearly-new condition. Best of all, that bike was a couple miles away from my front door! The previous owner inherited it some years ago, but he has a DRZ-400, and consequently didn't put hardly any miles on the bike. His father purchased it to get into motorcycling, but didn't end up using it. And the original owner he purchased it from simply drove it around in the back of a toy hauler and never took it out - think escape pod that never got deployed. It's like a time-capsule from the first Clinton administration! The bike is totally stock with the exception of the Acerbis handle bar protectors, a nice feature I would've added anyway. Happily, I picked it up for nearly a third of a new one.

Enough of my banter, let's have pics!

image1.jpeg image2.jpeg image3.jpeg image4.jpg IMG_0066.JPG

I'd like to give a shout-out to a couple YouTubers that have given me plenty of content to watch that undoubtedly were the reason I finally committed: TdubsKid and Vaquero Kid. Simply superb content.

Next to figure out what I need for riding gear for about 90% trail, 10% road duty. Anyway, hello from Northern California. :hello:

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Hey, welcome to the forum and congrats on a very cool bike...you're gonna love it!

"...It's like a time-capsule from the first Clinton administration!..."
What!? BJ's under the desk?:eek:
Geeze, I thought I got a good deal on mine...

·
Registered
606 Posts
Welcome from east California...I mean northern Nevada. Pelosi's posse taking over in '19. UUGHH!
Anyway, great find! Enjoy your new addiction. May your smile be ear to ear from this day forward.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
That sure is a pretty one! Only missing the chain guard as far as I can see. I love the pre 2001 models the best and you found a real sweet one I think is as valuable as any of the newer models with the same mileage and overall condition. We call bikes like that Garage Queens and you are lucky member Placerload missed this one.

Enjoy and welcome to this addiction.

GaryL

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Reactions: Crashtestdaniel

·
Registered
311 Posts
Nice find! Welcome from British Columbia, Canada

·
Registered
30 Posts
amazing find! lucky you! first thing, get it rejetted and float shimmed! it changed my tw from a seeming 200 to more like 250-300 performance...and no more choke needed to start it.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
amazing find! lucky you! first thing, get it rejetted and float shimmed! it changed my tw from a seeming 200 to more like 250-300 performance...and no more choke needed to start it.
Tell us more about this shimming the Float deal.

GaryL

Reactions: redriderjf87

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Nice looking bike. It looks just like my 1993. I think it was a good year. I had to do a valve job at 42,000 miles and change the cam chain guides. I also cleaned the carb at that time. I am closely approaching 46,000 miles now with no overhaul. I never did any carb mods to the original carb and it runs great. I experimented with an aftermarket carb just because, but the stock one performed much better on the unmodified engine. I did change the cam, just because, experiment for a bump in power, nothing wrong with the old one. These are very dependable, low maintenance bikes which are a blast to ride. Enjoy and ride it often.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you all for the welcomes.

GaryL, thanks for the eagle-eye. I didn't realize it was missing the chain guard. Got one on order now.

TW-Brian, I'm certainly a nutjob, so perhaps a fit? By the look of it, you're just down Stanley Blvd from me ;) I posted my first problem in the technical forum related to CA emissions. This bike is missing it. I see you've responded in years past on CA canister related issues. Maybe you could take a look at the problem I documented. The thread is called re-California-ifying my new-to-me '93 (with pics) (I'd link to it for you here, but my current low post count is keeping me from doing that, sorry). This problem is keeping me from registering the bike since DMV wants to take a look at it and it won't pass visual as it sits.

Ken, 46k miles?! Wow that's gotta be some sort of T-dub record, but what do I know. Good to know they've got the goods to go the distance.

Thanks again to everyone.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Gary, think maybe he means shim the "float needle"?

Tell us more about this shimming the Float deal.

GaryL
Hey pownalite, welcome to the forum!
Where ya' from?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts