TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all! Just wanted to take a minute and introduce myself to the forum.

My name is Walt, I'm 24 years old, and I'm a heavy-transport truck driver.

I'm lucky enough to spend most of my time living on the shore of Moosehead Lake in Northern Maine. It's a very rural area, and I've spent a great deal of time exploring the surrounding wilderness.

I learned to ride on a 2007 TW that belongs to a close friend of mine when I was younger. The open fields and rural roads of Aroostook County provided a perfect place to learn to ride, and I became addicted to two wheels.

This past summer, I decided I finally ought to have a TW of my own. I stopped in at a Yamaha dealership one day after work to look around. Turns out they had two 2016 TW's in stock. They were sitting unassembled in a crate out back, consecutive serial numbers, shipped together from Japan to Northern Maine. I know it sounds foolish, but as desperately as I wanted a TW, I just couldn't bring myself to separate them. So, instead of passing on the opportunity, I did something else...

Yup, I bought them both... :D

I've ridden the second bike just enough to break it in and complete it's first service, but it mostly sits in the barn.

I ride the first bike every chance I get, probably about 75% off-road. I spend a lot of time in 1st gear, and use to bike to explore some very remote areas via overgrown and abandoned paths and roads, including some straight-up bushwhacking.

I love the simplicity of these bikes. I do all of the maintenance and servicing myself. I have a few modifications planned for my primary bike, including a rack, a round front headlight, and maybe some stubby turn signals. I intend to get familiar with and play around with the gearing, maybe even switch to a dual-sprocket setup. I do travel some good distances on the bike over gravel roads, sometimes cruising at 55-60 MPH, and I feel the gearing could be a bit higher for road use to get my RPM's down a bit, considering I'm a fairly light rider at ~150 lbs. On the other hand, I find myself wishing for a lower 1st gear during my off-road explorations. I'd also like to look into a heavier-duty skid plate, as I've bashed the factory one pretty hard a number of times.

Anyways, just wanted to introduce myself! This forum seems like a great resource for information, and I look forward to contributing a little of my own as I become more knowledgeable with the bikes.

-Walt

·
Super Moderator
18,061 Posts
Very nice introduction, welcome!! :D

Reactions: Tweaker

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Congrats on the twins. I had to go get the other one after I bought the first one too. A father and son had them. Dad sold the first one to me and then I found out the son traded his in. I went to the dealer and got it.

Reactions: Ken and littletommy

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Welcome! You live in our very most favorite vacation destination. We stay in Rockwood and spend all our time exploring the Golden road up to Pitstons farm and all over the woods up there searching for good brook trout streams. Too bad they don't allow two wheelers on those private roads because I could spend days on a TW and never have to travel the same tracks twice. We love the roads from Greenville up to Rockwood and from there over to Rangely for Moose watching. That entire area up there seems to have something against pavement and 75% of the roads are hard gravel and perfect for the TW.

Look up member Keith in Maine to see if he is still active, he lives a bit south from your area but he too knows of some great rides.

If I were you with 2 TWs I would outfit the one you drive most with a Garmin Montana GPS on a powered Ram mount and set up 2 helmets with hands free communications so when you and a buddy or adventurous gal go for rides you can get lost and never really be lost. Fill the tires with Ride On so you don't have to worry about flats from all those sharp rocks on the gravel roads. I of course would have my bike set up with a rack to carry my fishing pack rod and some gear for when you find those fabulous rivers and streams where not too many ever go. IMO the gearing the TWs come with is about as good as it gets unless you really need one way or the other, low end grunt or high end highway. I would burn my money on things like larger fuel capacity and higher handle bars with bark busters and bash plates where you live.

GaryL

1 - 17 of 17 Posts