·
Banned
10,664 Posts
I'm think Dorothy is really old by now.

Welcome.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
My grandfather was born to immigrants from Germany and Scotland/Ireland (met on Ellis Island, love at first sight) in Kansas in 1898. My grandmother was born in Oklahoma to a North Carolina Cherokee family visiting relatives (delivering aid) the same year, wound up staying with family when her father returned east after her mother died in childbirth and, after graduating college at age 17, relocated to Kansas in 1915 to assume the position of teacher in a one-room school. Again, love at first sight.

Grampa, who, at the ripe ol' age of 17, had quit school and established himself as a farmer, farm machinery dealer and mechanic, blacksmith, and grain dealer, decided to pursue the new school marm's attentions. She admired educated men, so he decided to apply himself to impress her. He also asked for her hand, and she insisted he travel to North Carolina to attain her father's permission, so Grampa rode his Harley from Kansas to North Carolina. Pop approved, on the condition Grampa finished his education, so Grampa rode back to Kansas and graduated from high school, earning valedictorian honors. Grampa than rode back for another visit with Pop, only to be told to finish his education first. So, off to the University of Kansas for a degree in agriculture, then another ride east, and another admonishment to finish his education, so back to Kansas for a PhD. Grampa's 4th ride from from Kansas to North Carolina and bike netted his Heart's desire, and in 1924, there was a quiet wedding in a little country church in Kansas.

The happy couple relocated tp Florida in 1925, he riding that same Harley, and she driving a Model T flatbed.

I rode through Kansas east-to-west in 1975, and south-to-north in 2008. Didn't stop for anything on either trip other than gas and groceries.

So, those are my Kansas connections.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts