TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey yall, been reading a bunch here lately, and decided to log in for the first time.
After owning three Rokons(sold my last one this evening) I've come to the realization that I just don't need that specialized of a bike. Plus suspension, and a top speed faster than 25mph would be awesome!
Anyway, I've been eyeing up TW200's for awhile, and have decided that it would be just the ticket for the riding that I do.

For the questions: $1700 for a '97 w/3000mi seems awfully high for a machine like this. Am I mistaken?
A bit off-topic, but how do these bikes compare off-road to the older BW350?
Is a guy money ahead to get a newer bike with front disk brake, and do the kick-start retro?(Still blows my mind why a manufacture would rely on a battery as the only means to start their products!)

Thanks in advance, and I can't wait to report back this weekend on the purchase of my very first TW200.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Good Luck....guess all your questions will be answered...in due time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Good call. Still have a hot line on a BW350 though. Pretty well set on the T-dub, but was more curious than anything else.
Would you agree about the '97? I was leaning towards new(er), but there are several used ones for sale in the area. All about the same condition/mileage/price. Would love to find something in the middle say around $2500, but I've gotten the bug pretty bad. Can't remember being this excited for a new bike.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
thing about that 97 it has a kick starter plus electric. For that money if it is not a rust bucket or beat up I would go for it. I love Wyoming for the riding that you have for a big part of the year. I have spent many hunting seasons in and around Encampment. The TW is the perfect ride for that country.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Actually, 1700 for the '97 is not necessarily a bad price, if it is in very good condition and the actual mileage is 3k. I have a '98 in near perfect condition, and I certainly would want that much for it if I was to sell it. (which I do not want to do.)

My Uncle had a Big Wheel and drawing on memory, I remember it as a big lumbering ATV like toy. It was fun, but really just not a valid comparison to the TW. I would not have wanted to try to ride the Big Wheel on the road any distance or run errands around town with it. I don't actually remembering it as being street legal, but as I stated, it was a long time ago. Personally I would consider the BW as a specialty toy, sort of like your Rokon...only faster. (I have a Rokon Scout) But, your question was really about off road performance, and I remember the BW being pretty capable in that regard. I might even go so far as saying that if you were to solely ride off road the BW would be a good choice.

In my opinion, yes you are money ahead buying a newer machine with the disc front if you can reasonably afford it. Age does take it's toll on machinery, even if well maintained. But a clean older one is in no way a mistake if that is the limit of your budget. Yes, the newer machines can be fitted with a kick start, and there is plenty of information on this forum concerning that, sourcing the parts as well as installing them. In truth, given it's size and weight, the TW is pretty easy to bump start, so you probably could solve a dead battery problem in an emergency. I don't have a kick start on my 2011 and really don't feel the need to install one. In fact if I do one day put a kick on it, it will be just because I want to rather than because I feel the need for one.

Good luck on your search. I usually can't really bring myself to say someone who has never owned a TW will be happy with their purchase, there is really no way I can know that, but since you used to ride Rokons, I have a bit more of a feel for your riding and expectations so, going out on a limb I'm going to say you will love a TW. I have family in Gillette, and am familiar with WY at least around that area...great TW territory.

·
Registered
8,297 Posts
$1700 for a 1997 with 3,000 miles, Deal or no deal?

Very hard to tell without seeing it or hearing it run. Lets assume it is in very good condition, well maintained, running good and always garaged but never abused. Look inside the tank for signs of stale fuel and rust! Expect to replace the 20 year old tires immediately even if the tread looks great, they are old and dangerous. Check the sprockets and chain, if original they could be close to needing replacement. I would say around $300 should get new tires and the chain and sprockets. That puts it at $2,000. Not a great deal but OK if the bike really is in very nice overall condition. I would trade a front disc brake for a kick starter in a heart beat.

On the other hand, if the bike appears to have been ridden hard and put away wet a lot or shows signs of neglect or runs poorly I would walk.

GaryL

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the insight guys. I live in western Wyoming. Bout halfway between Jackson hole and Salt Lake City. The terrain is pretty rugged, and my riding is more necessity than anything else. I ride to get places, like for fishing and hunting. Not to say I don't enjoy riding, it's just that I don't do it, to just do it. The t-dub may change that now that some speed can be had. Only about 5% of the time I really needed the Rokon, mostly during big game hunting, but to be honest, I ride allot more to my fishing holes. It will be awesome just to leave from the house, on the bike, without using the pickup. While on the trails, the speed will be as slow as the Rokons, but suspension is going to be awesome.

Can't wait to place my first order to cycleracks, and head for the trout. The time is near. Also, since Moab is close, and I've never been, I'm going to need to check that out.

Thanks again, and sorry for the rambling, I'm just so darned excited to get my butt in the saddle.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, after pulling my head out, I started counting the water crossings I'd need to do to get to some of the places I visit. I definitely would appreciate a disk brake up front. If later, I deem it necessary to have kick start capabilities, I can always add it.
The older bikes around here look to be pretty rough anyway. Plus a good headlight is pretty high on the priority list.
Thanks Gary for shining some more light on things.

·
Registered
8,297 Posts
Now you are talking my language! I'll be right out with my Dubs to do some trout fishing where trout are really trout. The TW is the perfect bike for dragging some gear out to those far back fishing holes that are a long walk but hold the biggest fish. Just keep in mind the short fuel supply inherent on a 1.8 gallon tank if you plan to go way back.

Be sure to post some pics of your bike and the fish once you get out there.

GaryL

·
Registered
8,297 Posts
So, after pulling my head out, I started counting the water crossings I'd need to do to get to some of the places I visit. I definitely would appreciate a disk brake up front. If later, I deem it necessary to have kick start capabilities, I can always add it.
The older bikes around here look to be pretty rough anyway. Plus a good headlight is pretty high on the priority list.
Thanks Gary for shining some more light on things.
Just so you know! If you found a real sweet older bike with the kick starter, it is just as easy to buy and add a disc brake up front and would likely cost about the same as the kick kit. Basically it is a wash between those two options. I have never yet had my TW in deep water so I can't say if the disc Vs drum is any better or worse. I would never completely rely upon the electric/battery if going in deep woods and these tiny MC batteries are probably one of the weakest links IMO. I have a complete kick start kit sitting on the shelf just in case I do find a sweet deal on a newer TW.

GaryL

·
Registered
315 Posts
If you are used to a Rokon you will enjoy the TW very much. The rack is a great start but I would look into a Ricochet skid plate an a larger rear sprocket, maybe a 60 tooth and a 2" handle bar riser for standup trail riding.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Hillbilly Hans go to my profile page and look at the pictures to see how we mounted Rotopax gas cans to two different TW's. It's a reasonably priced and solid way to haul extra fuel. (Visitor message video is cool too) You got everyone excited now. Real trout in Wyoming. I'm just about ready to start my pre-spring fly tying and have been thinking trout myself lately. Oh, your question. I really never plotted gas mileage at specific speeds or over specific terrain, but my rule of thumb is around 100 miles. I have done far better of course. I'm pretty sure there is better advice on that issue here.

·
Registered
19,400 Posts
Milage seems to vary so much depending on riding style, gearing and terrain difficulty. Obviously pokeing along @ low rpm in a higher gear pumps alot less air/fuel mix per mile than screaming high rpms . Having said that I would guess a fisherman on rocky mixed terrain riding not too aggressively should expect 80 to 90 worry free miles before going on reserve. If your route has smoother sections allowing 4th and 5th gear cruising then your comfortable range can go up significantly , but don't expect the high mpg of blacktop cruising.
Even though I pack a fairly durable telescoping spinning rod and tackle on fishing jaunts I find my riding style is more conservative to protect gear than other times. This really helps milage. Carrying a little spare gas at first is good insurance untill you determine your range.

·
Registered
8,297 Posts
So far for me on a mixed ride of some back roads and some trails I hit the reserve at right around 80 miles on every tank. Me and the gear I carry equals right around 250 pounds. If I were you and going 40 miles one way in far out trails I would want at least an extra gallon of fuel to be safe.

GaryL

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
I put 7000 miles on my '97 with drum brake, and I've put 7000 miles on my '07 with a disc brake. I've seen nothing that makes me think the disc is a better brake on a TW. There have been several times when I was happy to have a kicker on the '97, and there have been several times I've been happy I put a kicker on the '07.
For me either brake will do the job just fine, but I prefer the drum, it has a better feel. I think you'll find that a kicker is very nice to have on the rare occasion that you need it. Welcome to the addiction:D

·
Registered
19,400 Posts
Hillbillyhans, sorry if my range estimate seems conservative. Certainly many honestly get much higher milage. And certainly your actual range is greater than your "comfortable" or worry free range, it is just that I hate worrying about running out of fuel, sucks fun out of the ride. Nice to know you have some reserve range to explore a side canyon, new trail, etc. when far from home base.
Now it is my turn to worry about range as I recently went with ATV tire conversion and associated 13 and 55 tooth sprockets to compensate for taller tire and increased weight/ rolling resistance. I fear my trail riding is only giving me 45 to 55 mpg now, but I am still learning.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts