TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
New member and just bought my TW today and pick it up tomorrow night. I'm older then dirt and have been riding, restoring and working on Yamaha enduros since 1972. Bikes I currently own are a 1973 RT3 360, a 1974 DT360A, 1975 DT 125B. I have been riding since I could pull a clutch lever at 10 years old. Started on Rupp mini bikes and worked my way up.
I bought a 2012 TW today because I just loved the look of them and needed something made in this century to putt around on. I love my vintage stuff, but anyone that has ever tried to kick start a 360 yamaha and survived it knows why at my age I went for the "push the button and go" model.

Can someone please tell me the reason most say ditch the stock front tire? Whats the bad karma with it?

Thanks, Jeff

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
Hi Jeff, and welcome to the forum!

Your 2012 TW may have been built in the current century, but it was definitely designed during the past century and is only about a decade "younger" than your "vintage" bikes :D.

The stock front tire, also known as the "Death Wing", has a decided tendency to wash out without warning on gravel, sand and wet grass. The current favorite replacement tire is the Shinko 241 4.0 x 18.

Brian

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Yeah, the stock front tire is not so great. It's been nick-named the "Death Wing" and not without cause.

The TW will serve you much better with the Shinko trials tire many folks are using. Someone will chime in with the model, I can't recall it off hand, but it is far superior to the stock tire & would be a superb first upgrade to your new bike. :) m.

Thank you Brian, yep, that's the tire you want. m.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Unchanged except disc front brake and minor eletrical since 1987! Death wings has zero feel between OK and crashing. Another member calls it the "crash switch". Enjoy your "modern" ride!

·
Super Moderator
18,054 Posts
Welcome!! :D

Reactions: Ken

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Being in my age group and that of many of us here with TW's you will find a welcome mat here. Yup, change the front tire and keep the rear. Being so Old School with your motorcycles I might suggest you purchase and install the kick start kit that Yamaha took away from our TWs when they added the front disc brake. All TWs prior to 2001 had both electric and kick start and your 2012 can easily be upgraded with the kicker. A member here sells the complete kits and I just saw a thread where a Yamaha dealer also sells them on Ebay at a rather reasonable yet unbelievable price. There are simply way too many stories here where the battery decided to take a dump at the most inopportune time.

You probably already know the major benefits of a good quality O or X ring DID chain so no need to go there with the POS chain that comes stock. Lastly, if you have pure gas available in your area I will highly recommend you keep ethanol out of the TW engine that was designed long before ethanol was ever dreamed up.

Welcome aboard from the NY Catskill mountains.

GaryL

Reactions: Ken and littletommy

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Tire=T63 Michelin or any of your choice....Death Wing is fine on pavement...

Location...? Where in Wisconsin?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tire=T63 Michelin or any of your choice....Death Wing is fine on pavement...

Location...? Where in Wisconsin?
I'm in Menomonee Falls. It's about 10 miles north of Milwaukee.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you to everyone that replied. I got a good chuckle when you all recommended the shinko tire. Thats exactly what I'm running for tires on my 360's. Only on those the 4 X 18 goes on the rear. Can't wait to ride the big tires!!

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
I'm in Menomonee Falls. It's about 10 miles north of Milwaukee.
Yep...wife is from Oconomowoc, where we got married in 1976....and we lived in Wausau, back in the 70s....

·
Registered
326 Posts
Welcome from southern California.

The stock tire will seem ok on road. And it is. Don't push it and you'll be fine.
And if you are new back riding in the dirt it may seem ok also. Until it's not.
There is no warning when it will start to slide on the dirt.

I have had some previous experience with the shinko 241 and pirelli mt43 trials tread pattern tires and I like the shinko better.
Could be because it's a bit less expensive but it does work pretty well as the TW's front tire. I'm know I wasted good riding time with the stock TW31 front tire but I'm very happy with the 241.

Good riding on your new TW!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I picked up the TW last night!! It was about a 17 mile ride from the dealer to home. Mostly took the back roads as I wanted to get familiar with the bike. Speeds from 35 to 60mph, paved roads all the way. This is a used bike with 2583 miles on it at pickup.

First impressions of the bike.

The foot pegs SUCK. Way to small...need to change that.
The dealer does know how to adjust a clutch lever will be addressing that as well.
Shes slooooww....but acceptable.
You really feel those off road tires on the hard stuff. Lots of tire noise.
Seat is about equal to a 2 X 10 for comfort.
Bike is the mechanical equivalent of a pack mule.

Overall feelings on the purchase.....I LOVE IT!
It's like driving a piece of freedom. I felt like pulling off at every open field I passed and playing Malcolm Smith. Looking forward to the weekend to try it off road. THIS THING'S A HOOT!!

·
Registered
13,720 Posts
I picked up the TW last night...

It's like driving a piece of freedom. I felt like pulling off at every open field I passed and playing Malcolm Smith. Looking forward to the weekend to try it off road. THIS THING'S A HOOT!!

Awesome!

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I picked up the TW last night!! It was about a 17 mile ride from the dealer to home. Mostly took the back roads as I wanted to get familiar with the bike. Speeds from 35 to 60mph, paved roads all the way. This is a used bike with 2583 miles on it at pickup.

First impressions of the bike.

The dealer does know how to adjust a clutch lever will be addressing that as well.
Shes slooooww....but acceptable.
You really feel those off road tires on the hard stuff. Lots of tire noise.
Seat is about equal to a 2 X 10 for comfort.
Bike is the mechanical equivalent of a pack mule.

Much better foot pegs from a number of sources. The Seat Concept foam and cover from member Placerload is about the best you can get. Clutch adjust is pretty easy once you make sure the return lever spring down on the left side of the engine is correctly in place. The front tire is buzzy but make sure the air pressure is between 16-18 PSI for road running. Get the Shinko or some other tire for the front and use Ride On balancing fluid rather than wheel weights. After all that is solved just go play Malcolm Smith in all those fields and trails and enjoy.

GaryL

·
Registered
13,720 Posts

You can buy the aftermarket wider footpegs.

or if you know a guy or a guy who knows a guy with a welder you can have some stock footpegs "modified" like I did.

I had my pops-in-law (a guy) who I had weld a piece of metal around the stock footpeg and made them longer. Some folks complain of the aftermarket pegs being too wide for the foot to shift comfortably. One solution is to buy a longer shifter or just get used to shifting with these footpegs. The ones I had made up (by the guy I knew) which alleviates this problem.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts