TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. By introduction my name is Scott and I live in a suburb of Ft. Lauderdale. I'm considering buying a TW200 and will have my first opportunity to sit on one today. In my area they are hard to find as the dealer don't seem to stock them (or maybe keep them in stock). A dealer just got in 2 14's so I'm on may way today. I'm, 49 and have had a motorcycle license since high school when I rode a Suzuki 450 cruiser. Recently bought and quickly sold a Honda Ruckus scooter. Too slow for the road. Was always interested in Harleys and Triumph Bonnevilles. Test rode them both, the 1200 Sportster and Bonnie this week and really did not like the heavyness, maybe even the power. Been searching for months and feel the TW200 might be a perfect fit. I have no intention of hitting the highway but will use it for short trips around town and some hour long back road trips. If I could find some dirt around here that would be great too but after seeing the motocross near my house thats no place for me. Just think the TW might be a nice all around cruiser. Love the looks of the low bike with fat tires to support my 5'9" 250 pound body. Well just wanted to say hello and if you have any thoughts please share.
Scott

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Welcome Scott. You will really enjoy a Tw and very easy to maintain. Take some pics of your new bike and share them with us.

·
Registered
312 Posts
hello and welcome to the forum, I got my tw in oct of last year(just after I turned 49) very glad I did, have not regretted it for a second. If you get one let us know and we like pictures too. My thoughts are I want 2 more of them, I got a 87(had I checked the forum before hand I would have got a later one) but oh well, I have had no problems with it so far and I have put 725 miles on it, I have had a lot of fun modifying and riding it. It is the best bike in my opinion bar none. here is a pic of what mine looks like now. 20140223_123515.jpg

·
Registered
6,367 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone. By introduction my name is Scott and I live in a suburb of Ft. Lauderdale. I'm considering buying a TW200 and will have my first opportunity to sit on one today. In my area they are hard to find as the dealer don't seem to stock them (or maybe keep them in stock). A dealer just got in 2 14's so I'm on may way today. I'm, 49 and have had a motorcycle license since high school when I rode a Suzuki 450 cruiser. Recently bought and quickly sold a Honda Ruckus scooter. Too slow for the road. Was always interested in Harleys and Triumph Bonnevilles. Test rode them both, the 1200 Sportster and Bonnie this week and really did not like the heavyness, maybe even the power. Been searching for months and feel the TW200 might be a perfect fit. I have no intention of hitting the highway but will use it for short trips around town and some hour long back road trips. If I could find some dirt around here that would be great too but after seeing the motocross near my house thats no place for me. Just think the TW might be a nice all around cruiser. Love the looks of the low bike with fat tires to support my 5'9" 250 pound body. Well just wanted to say hello and if you have any thoughts please share.
Scott
Three years ago I bought a 2009 TW200, after a year I sold it and got a 2012 Bonneville. In Jan I sold it and bought a 2012 TW200. I really liked the Triumph but found that my riding habits were more suited to the t-dub; short rides, errands to town, light trails. My wife has one as well and we really like riding togeather.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Not much dirt in our neck of the sand woods but the Dub will make you a fine city and A1A putter. Also for a nice time head down to the Keys and take it slow.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Welcome to the midlife crisis bike family! I'm almost the same 49, 5-11, 250(ish), used to ride 550 LTD's in the 80's and then a ZL900 in the early 90's until family arrived and I figured it was time to play it safe. I love my bike, it got me back on the road occasionally, in the dirt when I don't want to drive my side x side or ATV, and everyone always looks at it and says how much fun it looks like to ride one. Hope you get one and enjoy it, it should be perfect for what you want.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Welcome Scott...yes, let us know if you get one and yes send pics and yes you will be happy...that is of course unless you just don't like smiling:):)

·
Registered
422 Posts
Great choice - the dealers have very few TW's because Yamaha supplies the bikes to the whole world and so there are limited numbers of bikes sent to any given country.
I have had my 2004 since about 2008 - it does not get ridden a lot but it is always there when I want it and I have found it perfect for the same applications as you are describing.
I tend to keep motorcycles for a long time and I think the TW will be with me for the rest of my days and perhaps my sons as well.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hello and welcome to both of the new members in this thread! #1, I don't think you'll regret the purchase, sounds like just what you're looking for. #2, congrats!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the warm welcome and great comments. Went and sat on the 14 TW200 yesterday. I liked it and think it will be great for my purpose of tooling around town...Dealer wanted $5600.00 out the door tag, tax, title, fees...had 2 in stock and as of yesterday 1 left. Since the bike does not seem to have changed in recent years other than color wanted to check my gently used and leftover options in FL. Going to make some calls today and see if I can save some money before I commit. If you know of one worthy in my area please let me know. A TW200 will be here shortly with pictures to follow. Enjoyed looking at your bikes with mods. Anyone change the front foot pegs? My only comment on the whole bike is the seemed a little short but i guess they are purpose built and different than a true road bike.
Enjoy the day
Scott

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Three years ago I bought a 2009 TW200, after a year I sold it and got a 2012 Bonneville. In Jan I sold it and bought a 2012 TW200. I really liked the Triumph but found that my riding habits were more suited to the t-dub; short rides, errands to town, light trails. My wife has one as well and we really like riding togeather.
Hope this helps.
Love the Nickname/Handle...welcome to your world

Hoot

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Oh yeah, you got places to ride.... Loop Road (Everglades)
You ever been on Loop Road Boreno? My youngest sister lives in Naples...my 90 year old mom stays with her and her husband in the winter months....been Jeeping on Loop Several times....and I plan on riding the tw on it in the near future...great place, plenty of wildlife and thousands of those endangered Gators :eek: I took this photo of this big boy{about 14 feet long} at the Intersection of Loop and Highway 41(Tamiami Trial} at Monroe Station:

Loop Road Gator.png

·
Registered
240 Posts
Oh yeah, you got places to ride.... Loop Road (Everglades)
I did the loop two weeks ago and the speed limit is 25mph. You can do 25 on most of it towards the south end but the north end would make you bottom out and overload the suspension on the north end. After that, you'll get into "the squares". Overall, it's a cool area, just not very challenging.

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Loop Road Monroe Station.png Loop Road Main Drag.png

Loop Road is the place to see the Everglades, without getting off your bike or out of your car....as CJ7 mentioned, it's not all that challenging, but you can veiw just about any kind of wildlife you want...especially Gators, anytime you ride or drive down Loop Road you realize that Alligators are no longer "Endangered", they are everywhere, and as my previous post photo shows, there are some big ones.

Last time I took the Jeep on Loop, I did pick up a nice nail in the side of a rear tire, but it was mostly dry, that was February 2010....I am certain that June/July is wetter, hotter, and somewhat more of a challenge....

The photos are of the old Monroe Station which is the west entrance to Loop at US 41{TT}. and looking south about a mile from Monroe: Avoid Alligator Alley(I-75} if you are planning on heading that way and toward Miami and the Keys, Tamiami Trail and Loop, if you choose to take it, and much more scenic.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts