TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Hello newbie from Fort Lauderdale

5K views 30 replies 16 participants last post by  Hoot Gibson 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. By introduction my name is Scott and I live in a suburb of Ft. Lauderdale. I'm considering buying a TW200 and will have my first opportunity to sit on one today. In my area they are hard to find as the dealer don't seem to stock them (or maybe keep them in stock). A dealer just got in 2 14's so I'm on may way today. I'm, 49 and have had a motorcycle license since high school when I rode a Suzuki 450 cruiser. Recently bought and quickly sold a Honda Ruckus scooter. Too slow for the road. Was always interested in Harleys and Triumph Bonnevilles. Test rode them both, the 1200 Sportster and Bonnie this week and really did not like the heavyness, maybe even the power. Been searching for months and feel the TW200 might be a perfect fit. I have no intention of hitting the highway but will use it for short trips around town and some hour long back road trips. If I could find some dirt around here that would be great too but after seeing the motocross near my house thats no place for me. Just think the TW might be a nice all around cruiser. Love the looks of the low bike with fat tires to support my 5'9" 250 pound body. Well just wanted to say hello and if you have any thoughts please share.
Scott

#3 ·
Welcome Scott. You will really enjoy a Tw and very easy to maintain. Take some pics of your new bike and share them with us.

#4 · (Edited)
hello and welcome to the forum, I got my tw in oct of last year(just after I turned 49) very glad I did, have not regretted it for a second. If you get one let us know and we like pictures too. My thoughts are I want 2 more of them, I got a 87(had I checked the forum before hand I would have got a later one) but oh well, I have had no problems with it so far and I have put 725 miles on it, I have had a lot of fun modifying and riding it. It is the best bike in my opinion bar none. here is a pic of what mine looks like now. Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Adventure

#5 ·
#9 ·
Welcome to the midlife crisis bike family! I'm almost the same 49, 5-11, 250(ish), used to ride 550 LTD's in the 80's and then a ZL900 in the early 90's until family arrived and I figured it was time to play it safe. I love my bike, it got me back on the road occasionally, in the dirt when I don't want to drive my side x side or ATV, and everyone always looks at it and says how much fun it looks like to ride one. Hope you get one and enjoy it, it should be perfect for what you want.

#18 ·
You ever been on Loop Road Boreno? My youngest sister lives in Naples...my 90 year old mom stays with her and her husband in the winter months....been Jeeping on Loop Several times....and I plan on riding the tw on it in the near future...great place, plenty of wildlife and thousands of those endangered Gators :eek: I took this photo of this big boy{about 14 feet long} at the Intersection of Loop and Highway 41(Tamiami Trial} at Monroe Station:

Saltwater crocodile Alligator American crocodile Crocodilia Crocodile

#13 ·
Great choice - the dealers have very few TW's because Yamaha supplies the bikes to the whole world and so there are limited numbers of bikes sent to any given country.
I have had my 2004 since about 2008 - it does not get ridden a lot but it is always there when I want it and I have found it perfect for the same applications as you are describing.
I tend to keep motorcycles for a long time and I think the TW will be with me for the rest of my days and perhaps my sons as well.

#16 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome and great comments. Went and sat on the 14 TW200 yesterday. I liked it and think it will be great for my purpose of tooling around town...Dealer wanted $5600.00 out the door tag, tax, title, fees...had 2 in stock and as of yesterday 1 left. Since the bike does not seem to have changed in recent years other than color wanted to check my gently used and leftover options in FL. Going to make some calls today and see if I can save some money before I commit. If you know of one worthy in my area please let me know. A TW200 will be here shortly with pictures to follow. Enjoyed looking at your bikes with mods. Anyone change the front foot pegs? My only comment on the whole bike is the seemed a little short but i guess they are purpose built and different than a true road bike.
Enjoy the day
Scott

#20 ·
Property Transport House Home Real estate
Road Asphalt Trail Thoroughfare Lane

Loop Road is the place to see the Everglades, without getting off your bike or out of your car....as CJ7 mentioned, it's not all that challenging, but you can veiw just about any kind of wildlife you want...especially Gators, anytime you ride or drive down Loop Road you realize that Alligators are no longer "Endangered", they are everywhere, and as my previous post photo shows, there are some big ones.

Last time I took the Jeep on Loop, I did pick up a nice nail in the side of a rear tire, but it was mostly dry, that was February 2010....I am certain that June/July is wetter, hotter, and somewhat more of a challenge....

The photos are of the old Monroe Station which is the west entrance to Loop at US 41{TT}. and looking south about a mile from Monroe: Avoid Alligator Alley(I-75} if you are planning on heading that way and toward Miami and the Keys, Tamiami Trail and Loop, if you choose to take it, and much more scenic.

#21 ·
Borneo sure has been on the Loop road. He has also backpacked across the Big Cypress...once, not again. I have an Uncle in Naples. I also love to fish and scuba dive so I occasionally find myself in Florida. I usually stay on Matlacha Island. I have a Carolina Skiff 24'DLX and have explored most of the 10,000 Islands area and even down to the Keys. As well as a lot of mangrove backwaters. Rode the Alligator Enduro years ago too. Enjoy spending time in Florida, it's a great State. You still have that Jeep Hoot?

#29 ·
I look back on some of these old threads and laugh...this one was from before Borneo and Hoot met up on New Year's Day 2015 our first ever face to face. This was a couple months before our Moab get together...since that time Borneo has done many adventure rides with and without Hoot and Company, but if I could get him off the Court Bench, I would drag him down to the SW Florida Area and fish the Mangroves in and around Thousand Islands, and ride the TWs along Loop and other areas of the Glades...I was back down that way in October 2019 for a month, and with the current Jeep Wrangler scoured the Glades, but not to the extent I would like....:cool:

Photos from Loop Road off US 41 {Tamiami Trail} and other areas of SW Florida...October 2019...

Plant Natural landscape Land lot Tree Billboard
Water Boat Sky Cloud Watercraft
Cloud Sky Bird Plant Beak
Water Liquid Branch Wood Tree
Water Boat Watercraft Sky Sailing
Water Cloud Sky Water resources Atmosphere
Water Leaf Crocodile Crocodilia Alligator
Water Sky Blue Boat Azure
Water Sky Cloud Beach Fluid
Cloud Sky Bird Beak Feather

#22 · (Edited)
Nope, put about 300,000 miles{yep tis true} between driving it and pulling it behind my RV Runs I made around Canada and the Lower 48...after retiring from the Health Department in Van Wert in 2002...I took up driving/Delivering RVs around North America. through 2008. I picked up the 1998 Wrangler with 28,000 miles on it in November 2002, and used if for my tow vehicle...blew one engine(my fault), changed tires more than a few times, but never worked on he brakes...finally after the RV gigs got old and the bottom dropped out, I sold it to my neighbor kid{he graduated with youngest son} who coaches high school football locally, a couple of years ago....he still has it, and it's running as good as ever. Miss it in the Winter, the Dodge Nitro 4x4 is OK in the snow, but not near as good in the winter as the Jeep...however the radio/sound system, comfort, and heat without the wind whistle, makes up for it. :cool:

(1) me and the Jeep the day I purchased it in November 2002 (2) Neighbor Kid on the day I sold it to him (September 2011)

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Jeep Motor vehicle

#23 ·
Just wondered. I love jeeps. My first vehicle (not the farm trucks, but my very own first vehicle) was a gently used '77 CJ 7. Back then nobody around here had even seen a lift kit I did an axle flip, had custom springs and drive shafts made and spaced the transfer case down with machinery washers. Ordered in from Dick Cepek a set of 38.5" tires for it. It was like nothing else for several years. Last year I restored a flat fender Willys, and I am currently totally modifying a 2001 TJ (it can actually be seen a bit in one of the pictures I put on here). Neatest thing is I have moved my original '77 Warn winch from Jeep to Jeep and it is now on the 2001. Did I mention I love Jeeps?

#24 ·
Love em' myself.....here is the first one I drove: August 1969...Playing Sky Cop on Patrol Nha Trang AB, Rep of South Vietnam and my wife back in 1977 sitting on the back of our 1976 Cherokee at Hocking Hills in Southeast Ohio

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Jeep Mode of transport
Motor vehicle Photograph Vehicle Car Tree

The first one I owned....the 76 Cherokee...this thing would go about anywhere...almost as strong as the Wrangler....and would leave the "Jimmys" and Ford 4WD in the dust....or mud

#28 · (Edited)
Still want one and have been shopping. Have the cash and ready to buy. Budget is 3k and looking to get a low mileage near perfect...just don't seem to be any within a 4-5 hour drive from Miami. Can't see paying the dealers fees on new. Brings them to over 5k in my area.

Anyone know of anything in Florida in Jacksonville, Orlando, Tampa and south?

Am I crazy to think 3k will get a preowned 2012....from a private owner?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.