TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what is your favorite TW200 riding helmet and why? I am looking to purchase a new helmet. Do you prefer a MX or a ADV sport type helmet? I am using a old school open helmet with protective goggles now. But I am thinking of upgrading. About 90% of my riding is offroad. Logging road and trails... Thanks for your input... I hope...lol...:D

·
Registered
230 Posts
I wear Nolan N100E I like the flip front feature for taking pictures, talking & it's more convenient when stopping for fuel & going in to pay or whatever.
Its good in the rain & dust. Is vented fairly well to stay cool.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I like my Voss dual sport helmet (https://www.vosshelmetsusa.com/collections/dual-sport-helmet#). I wouldn't ride without full-face protection, on-road or off. I prefer the face shield to goggles, and the drop-down shaded visor behind the face shield is nice. The peak provides welcome shading when sun angles are getting low. Overall it's a comfortable helmet for me and good value.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'm a big fan of Bell helmets due to good fit, light-ish weight, and decent price. Most of my riding is off-road so I went with a dirt bike style Bell helmet. Don't recall the model but it was in the $150 range. I like to use goggles since they are easy and cheap to replace when they get scratched and they seal the dust out of my eyes (a visor won't do that since the dust gets inside by drifting under the helmet and visor).

https://www.bellhelmets.com/powersports/helmets/dirt/

·
Registered
120 Posts
My wife & I both wear Voss 600 Dually - Dual Sport Helmets. I use to sport your typical DOT MX style helmet w/ shades. But after taking a chance going with a dual sport/ adventure style helmet, I will probably not use anything else. I love the left switch slide that operates the second inside tinted lens. Just like "Elvesus" mentioned, it's comfortable and a very decent helmet for the price!

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have a gargantuan melon. I used to wear a dual sport helmet, but got a great deal on a Fox mx helmet. I have found that I pretty much quit using the dual sport. With my mx helmet I can put on sunglasses and get better ventilation in the TX heat than with a full screen. When I am off-road and on the beach I just throw on goggles keeping out sand. With my high capacity cranium the XXL Fox is just more comfortable also.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Find a style you prefer then find a shape that matches your head. Nothing sucks like an expensive helmet you don't want to wear because it doesn't fit or is uncomfortable.
If you are not riding in too much heat and not too dusty of conditions a modular, or flip up helmet, might be good for you especially if you like to stop and take pictures or get a quick drink or eat something.

I like full face helmets with peaks, to block the sun or other objects, and with a visor, which I think works better on road, and that allows use of goggles when in the dirt.

I use a fox full face motoX helmet that flows a good amount of air and uses goggles which seem to work best when it's hot and dusty.
Usually I use a arai xd3 for everything unless it's going to be really warm and not much road riding.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I wear a motocross helmet when temps are above 60. Full face when not. I tried a few "Dual Sport" helmets and found they were just as hot as a full face and almost as noisy as a MC. At TW speeds, a DS helmet's venting is not adequate to cool my noogin. So, even on my 15 mile rural/small town commute; I'm sporting a motocross helmet with goggles.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I use a Bell MX-9 Adventure on the T-Dub because it's cheap and you don't go fast enough to have to remove the peak, and it has great airflow. I use a Nolan N-104 (modular) on my BMW when touring. It is a tad noisy, but okay with earplugs in. I WANT a Schuberth E-1 or C3 Pro, but the cost is enormous. If you need a touring helmet for highway that's a modular and very cheap, go with HJC CL-Max II or IS Max II. No matter what you buy, try to test fit it on your melon before your purchase it to avoid forehead squeeze headache or other fitment issues.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I would first find the style you like. Then try to find the brand that fits your head the best. You may need a good shop or experienced rider to help you find the right size. I found that the AFX closed face is great for my normal street riding with the pop down sunglasses built in. This is a very quiet helmet. I am considering an AFX MX open face for trails. My first helmet I bought when I purchased my TW and it is way too big is a HJC. The HJC is a loud helmet. The shop helped none at sizing. I had Oakley goggles which didn't last all that long, the foam fell apart and then the plastic cracked. I bought a cheap pair of goggles from Northern Tools that I had for a long time. The bill on the helmets are great when the sun is setting or coming up as others have said. I bought a set of Bikemaster goggles which had multiple shade lenses, ear piece or strap and the foam pad can be taken out if you want to wear them as sunglasses. They are great around town with a MX helmet and are still impact resistant goggles.

·
Registered
282 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
I have two GMax 11ds. One I have goggles and a quick strap (for cooler temps or dusty conditions). The other I use the flip down shield. The shield is nice if it is raining or colder and for use with my prescription glasses. I will probably go one step cooler with a full mx model and goggles, with lots of vents. Sometimes it is just to damn hot, riding technkcal trails and trying to keep up with others, no matter what you wear!

·
Registered
20,407 Posts
I also have the two helmet approach:
1) Googles and an MX-style helmet for warm summer trail riding.
2) Dual Sport style with flip down sunglasses as well as flip down complete face shield for colder, and/or higher speed riding.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
i have a full face Shoei from my street bike days and a fly trekker ds helmet. I have used both often. The ds helmet is a little louder but it prolly does vent a tad better. I can wear goggles woth my ds helmet if i want and i thought i would but have never needed them. If i was to start over i would get a decent modular helmet with an internal sun shade. I think that would be the best of both worlds.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts