TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
I bought a Shoei Multitec a couple months ago and really like it. I wear glasses so having a modular helmet makes it easier to put my glasses on and off. It seals and insulates very well even on cold (28 degree) weather. I don't think you can really buy a helmet based just on looks or features, it has to fit really well first and not have any pressure points. I know the HJC helmets are really popular and are pretty affordable too, the Shoei just fit my particular head much better.

http://www.shoei-helmets.com/Helmet.aspx?Multitec&h=13&t=1

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Didn't want to spend a lot but wanted a decent helment. I got a full-face Seven-Zero-Seven helment from my local Cycle Gear shop. I also got both a smoke and clear visor so I have either for day/night riding. I've been happy with it and paid about $125.00 for it.

Seven-Zero-Seven helmet

·
Registered
590 Posts
I do almost all street riding, had a flip face HJC Symax for a number of years, as noted it makes glasses wearing much easier. Trashed it in an accident and it held up well:

Now I wear an HJC IS-Max and like it, very similar to the old Symax, with the addition of a flip down sunshield, which is awesome. In the summer I wear a dark visor and a light sunshield, while in the spring and fall a clear visor and dark sunshield, so no more hauling an extra visor around.

Motorcyclegear.com is clearing out the SymaxII's for 129.99:

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/helmets/hjc/sy_max_2_metallic_motorcycle_helmet.html

·
Registered
162 Posts
I brought up this issue before and got a bunch of great feedback including injury graphics. Currently have an Exo 400 Scorpian full. I will purchase a shielded half helment for a sense of vision for trails and forest roads and short runs on rural roads. Comfort and safety first. When I personally put on the full face I definetly feel confined. Qwerty also mentioned colors as a variable, white a bit cooler and good advice. Cost, well what's your head worth? Ride on and be safe my friend..

·
Registered
56 Posts
My trail helmet is a Vigor Vamoose II. Very light and comfortable. Not DOT approved thought. Saved my noggin already when I raced downhill mtn bikes though.

My commuting/paved road helmet is an Icon Variant Salvo Hi-Viz. Bit'o change for it but I can't be happier with it. Well vented, comfortable, shield doesn't leak air. And besides, it matches my riding jacket! The Hooligan2 is a slightly cheaper option. Never hurts to be seen. I guess you gotta like Hi-Viz Yellow to be seen in these...

Byte

·
Registered
57 Posts
Just got my Symax II on closeout from revzilla. Very nice helmet for the $$. Esp. handy flip-up feature that you'll appreciate if you wear glasses!

·
Registered
512 Posts
For the past four or five years now, I've been using a Vega NT200 helmet, mainly because I am claustrophobic and can never get a full-faced helmet on my head. I think I paid just under $100 for it.

It's a very comfortable helmet and comes with a face shield and a visor that can be switched off.

Just last week I decided to see if I can mentally deal with a modular helmet, and I was surprised that I was able to do it, but I needed one that was very easy to flip the front of it. The Gmax 44s fit the bill for me, and my local Yamaha dealership had them on sale for $109. The switch to open the helmet is easy to operate without having to fumble around with it like some other (and more expensive) helmets. It vents nicely and is fairly light in comparison with other modulars. Also, while riding, I don't get that familiar whistling at the hinges. This helmet is pretty quiet.

I still go back to the 3/4 on days like today where it's supposed to reach 97 degrees, but now I am able to switch off.

Dan

·
Registered
140 Posts
Looking for one. So if you could list what you use, for which purpose, approx. cost, etc. Just looking to get back on a bike and mine are old the insides are drying out.

Wannabee,

If you will be riding off road and are willing to invest in a top flight helmet, look at the Shoei VFX-W. It's made to be worn with modern Scott goggles and it has molded ridges in the back to keep the goggle strap in the perfect place. Well ventilated, washable inner pads, very comfortable, AND.....you can order it in plain colors if you like for those of us who don't want a gaudy teenagers MX paint job (those are available on the VFX-W too). About $300.00.

Chip

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks to dhoenisch, qwerty and everyone else for your explainations. When I started back in the 70's on the trail, the only choice was open 3/4 helmets and since I've always been most comfortable in them, there I shall remain(besides, my glasses are a big issue).
my old snap on bubble sheild and helmet saw me through more than one slide, and I have now retired it...................

..................................thx

Joe

·
Registered
590 Posts
Well PJ, it looks like your helmet was a good investment. You didn't loose face.

Phelonius

Yeah that's what the rancher said that picked me off the road; "You'd have left half your face back there without that helmet".

70 mph highside though, about as bad as it gets without hitting something other than road.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts