TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
I'll never get another matte black helmet, they look great when they're new but they pick up all kinds of scuffs and grime that's impossible to clean off.

You can clean, buff, and polish a gloss helmet but not so much a matte one.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Color choice is rather a personal preference, but since you stuck Hi Viz in the choices that raises an additional factor, safety. If you are riding on the road a lot the Hiz Viz will definitely make you more visible. I've had quite a few people comment on seeing my helmet before they really saw me or the bike. Which I suppose is a good thing. I don't wear safety vests and the like. And, most of my leathers are black or dark. (except that fancy red Speed and Strength jacket). From a pure style point, I suppose gloss black would match the 2014 the best. However, when it comes to black helmets I tend to prefer the matte. I have grown fond of the look of the Hi Viz, but it certainly doesn't color coordinate with the 2014 TW. I just happen to like the look...and I enjoy the jokes.

View attachment 4084

I'd avoid plaid.

View attachment 4085

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am sure that with the advent of hi-viz added to helmet choice it should be a high choice. Statistics show that those that wear white helmets (in the past) are involved in less accidents involving other vehicles than other colors or no helmet. I have almost always owned white helmets and I also add reflective stickers to my helmet and bike. I want to be seen and not hit. Gloss black would be better seen than flat black for the obvious reasons but again it is choice.

Myself, I kinda want a half helmet for riding around the farm and dirt roads near home but am worried I will feel vulnerable compared to a full face. I really like the looks of the half lid in gloss black but again I may give way to white just to be seen. All is vanity.:D

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Hi Viz is the new cool. Around here, I show up with something and next thing I know the pups are all sporting the same rig. (minor exception: nobody has followed my lead on the Davida with steel and leather goggles)

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I don't own a hi-vis helmet but i do own a hi-vis jacket and it makes a huge difference in the amount of close calls. I always wear it when i commute to work now and since i have the number of times i had to avoid an idiot has gone down dramatically.

My Scheuberth helmet is bright silver with a lot of metallic in it. Its pretty reflective as it sits and my friends tell me its very visible even at night. If i was to buy a new one hi-vis would be high on my list.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I've got the hi viz fly trekker and people see me. I've had people in the past pull right in front of me and haven't had the problem YET with this over the top color. Dead isn't "cool" and my wife feels better knowing I'm easily seen by wearing this super bright helmet. I've thought of putting more hi viz stuff on my bike since then so idiots don't run over the Dub when it's parked between two cars.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have a High-Vis jacket, and will either buy a High-Vis helmet or a black helmet and add my own High-Vis vinyl wrap to it. I also plan to wrap the bike's plastics with High-Vis vinyl (when I get a TW).

I'll be a new rider on the street in an area filled with legally-blind senior citizens. I'll likely add an air horn to my bike as well!

·
Registered
566 Posts
I am sure that with the advent of hi-viz added to helmet choice it should be a high choice. Statistics show that those that wear white helmets (in the past) are involved in less accidents involving other vehicles than other colors or no helmet. I have almost always owned white helmets and I also add reflective stickers to my helmet and bike. I want to be seen and not hit. Gloss black would be better seen than flat black for the obvious reasons but again it is choice.

Myself, I kinda want a half helmet for riding around the farm and dirt roads near home but am worried I will feel vulnerable compared to a full face. I really like the looks of the half lid in gloss black but again I may give way to white just to be seen. All is vanity.:D
Every accident study I've read that includes helmet color indicates white helmets are under reported in frontal accidents. If you ask me, the jury is still out on hi-vis. I think it was an Australian study that indicated no discernible difference between hi-vis riding gear versus other colors in frontal accident. Keep in mind there are people that cannot see all colors or are completely color blind. I had a neighbor who could not see an orange golf ball on a green lawn. He called himself color defective. If visibility is what you want, contrast is still king and because most of us don't ride on the street in the snow, white is what you want. As a foot-note, I love that one of the jurisdictions out here makes their motor officers where white over blue helmets -- easy to spot. You'd think the gold over green that another jurisdiction uses would stand out more, but not at all.

But, as mentioned, visibility is only one consideration.

Edit: New Zealand for the last study, not Australia.

Edit again: I just looked at a summary of that study. Hi-Vis clothing may not do anything for avoiding frontal accidents but they significantly help in other accidents.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Every accident study I've read that includes helmet color indicates white helmets are under reported in frontal accidents. If you ask me, the jury is still out on hi-vis. I think it was an Australian study that indicated no discernible difference between hi-vis riding gear versus other colors in frontal accident. Keep in mind there are people that cannot see all colors or are completely color blind. I had a neighbor who could not see an orange golf ball on a green lawn. He called himself color defective. If visibility is what you want, contrast is still king and because most of us don't ride on the street in the snow, white is what you want. As a foot-note, I love that one of the jurisdictions out here makes their motor officers where white over blue helmets -- easy to spot. You'd think the gold over green that another jurisdiction uses would stand out more, but not at all.

But, as mentioned, visibility is only one consideration.

Edit: New Zealand for the last study, not Australia.

Edit again: I just looked at a summary of that study. Hi-Vis clothing may not do anything for avoiding frontal accidents but they significantly help in other accidents.
Agreed. Left turners here in the States are what seem to be the biggest offenders and cause to frontal crashes. Helmet color would have little effect compared to other things like the size and over all color or appearance of the object. I run PIAA amber fogs24/7 on my beemer and feel that they have saved me a ton of close calls. Cars see me and that is the name of the game. That and I don't trust anyone helps.

Picking out the front running lights will be a huge concern when I finally make a choice for my new Tdub.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Not sure why that reminded me of this, but when I was in Australia guy in a bar told me he could always tell and American and when they were going to turn...because they had their windshield wipers on. I thought it was hilarious, because I did it several times.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Agreed. Left turners here in the States are what seem to be the biggest offenders and cause to frontal crashes. Helmet color would have little effect compared to other things like the size and over all color or appearance of the object. I run PIAA amber fogs24/7 on my beemer and feel that they have saved me a ton of close calls. Cars see me and that is the name of the game. That and I don't trust anyone helps.

Picking out the front running lights will be a huge concern when I finally make a choice for my new Tdub.
Also agreed... When we went to a Harley with the headlight and two running light set up I experienced a huge decrease in "Oh Crap" braking. Huge. I went from having to grab handful of brake two to three times a night to about one or twice a week. There's something about a three light system motorist see.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
I do a LOT of riding in hot climes in the summer out in the direct sun at low speeds. 3 identical helmets except for color--white, light grey, and gloss black. Couldn't resist experimenting. White was a little cooler than grey, and both were a LOT cooler than black.

The Hurt report claimed 1/3 of deaths of motorcyclists were from people turning or pulling out in front of them. Seems like bright colored gear reduced the number of pullouts in front of me by 90% or more. The difference is more than just noticeable. All I own today is bright and white jackets and helmets. YMMV

Loud horns save lives. The Stebel is good and easy to mount and wire through a relay. I have one on every street bike I own.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Another question for you qwerty...with the Stebel horn, do you have the electromagnetic or electropneumatic?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I really think the new afx 41 in flat black would look the most menacing on the roadways almost apocalyptic Scary looking total badass and the most kool looking on a 2014 dubya. They have it in hi viz yellow and an orange. Just don't know if I can wear one of those in public.. i know they say it's safer right...:cool:

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Couldn't resist experimenting. White was a little cooler than grey, and both were a LOT cooler than black.

Loud horns save lives. The Stebel is good and easy to mount and wire through a relay. I have one on every street bike I own.
Pics of the Stebel mounted on your TW? Where did you put it? I agree on the helmet color, white it MUCH cooler than a dark color. I seem to notice white more than high vis on the road.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts