TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time I posted a picture, so hopefully I did it right...

Today my buddy and I went out on a morning ride, I wasn't going to put on my helmet because we were just going into town, but I couldn't find my sunglasses so I unwillingly put on my helmet. We got about 5 miles down the road, and there were buzzards eating some road kill up ahead. I was behind my buddy by maybe about 50 yards. He passed them, spooked them and they flew around. I got to them a few seconds later, and they were trying to land again, one of them flew right in front of me. It hit me square in the head and I was travelling 55mph. Felt like I was hit in the head with a bat, I got a migrane and my neck is sore now, thankfully I was wearing the helmet otherwise it probably would have broke my nose!

·
Registered
44 Posts

Today my buddy and I went out on a morning ride, I wasn't going to put on my helmet because we were just going into town, but I couldn't find my sunglasses so I unwillingly put on my helmet. We got about 5 miles down the road, and there were buzzards eating some road kill up ahead. I was behind my buddy by maybe about 50 yards. He passed them, spooked them and they flew around. I got to them a few seconds later, and they were trying to land again, one of them flew right in front of me. It hit me square in the head and I was travelling 55mph. Felt like I was hit in the head with a bat, I got a migrane and my neck is sore now, thankfully I was wearing the helmet otherwise it probably would have broke my nose!

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Today my buddy and I went out on a morning ride, I wasn't going to put on my helmet because we were just going into town......

The only time I ever really hurt myself on a moto was only a mile from home without a helmet and I never got over 35!!!!!!!
Concussion, etc.

The only time I will now ride without a helmet is when I'm going out to get the mail.....which is 100 yds down my driveway!

I also will not ride without a full face helmet, since the only time I cut my face badly was when I high-sided standing still on a cross slope, got off the bike just fine, turned, tripped, and face planted into a LARGE boulder!!!!

NEVER trust a buzzard not to do something really stupid, they aren't the smartest bird on the block. There are literally dozens of stories identical to yours in the various forums.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Here in mich. this year they allow no helmets... But they require sunglasses for protection.................. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I think that bird may have broke a pair of sunglasses....... (o;. I never ride my bikes without helmets. Glad you didn't get hurt.... OMM.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Glad you wore the lid....always wear the darn thing,I know they're hot,annoying etc.,but, you have proof now they do help in protection!.Yea,it could have gouged out an eyeball etc..

·
Registered
64 Posts
Wow, that is crazy. I would pull the liner out of your helmet to look for cracks.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
we don't get black vultures here in california.... glad you were wearing your helmet! (.... otherwise his friends might have been posing for pics with you!)

·
Registered
71 Posts

It feels great to ride without a helmet but it only takes one incident/fall to regret it for a lifetime.

Thanks for the post,

Moose

·
Registered
793 Posts
Go get some goggles. Always ride with a helmet no matter what. You need that full face protection from rocks as well since you ride with somebody.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Amazing story! Thanks for sharing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts