TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By far the most important modification I've made for my TW riding enjoyment has been upgrading helmets. With my open face helmet the sound was terrifying at speed (over 60 mph) and shoulder checks on the highway felt potentially life threatening. I had been avoiding highway speed as much as possible and felt relief that I had survived unavoidable stretches of highway when I dared to venture on one. Recently, I bought a full face, modular helmet, a Shoei Neotec. It's honestly like putting my head in a Lexus. Quiet and stable. I no longer harbor personal reservations regarding the touring potential of the TW. I'm not coveting a bigger bike (for reasons of noise and vibration--maybe still a bit for more power to ride with friends with even more capable road-riding bikes). I now actually enjoy and seek out the "bigger roads" with my TW. This greatly expands my cruising range for day trips. I'm not necessarily suggesting we need to go out and spend for a helmet the price of a complete set of CycleRacks with bags (though I'm glad I did). But, I encourage us to give some thought regarding how helmet choice might be influencing opinion of the TW and subsequent road-riding habits and to include your choice of helmet under TW-related equipment, like the DMOs, Jimbos, and Shinkos we're always talking about. I'd also like to hear about helmet preferences of those riding predominantly off road. I'd suspect that, ideally, a rider might benefit from a couple of helmets, depending on the day's adventure. One size might not fit all!

·
Registered
807 Posts
3/4 for me until it starts getting cold then I reluctantly break out the full face.

·
Super Moderator
18,049 Posts
Half helmet, year round. Perhaps not the best choice, but I settled in on a half helmet decades ago, because I like to hear what is around me at all times... and now if I try any other helmet, i feel like i can't see or hear well enough...

Reactions: grewen

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Certain helmets work on certain bikes for me.

This weekend I went to ride with six Kawasaki ZRXs, and a Ducati MultiStrada. And what was I riding? Not a TW. No, Mr. Brainsuphisbutt decided to ride a PC800 up through the twisties with these seasoned riders.

I wore a Harley Davidson three quarter helmet with a clear bubble shield. Usually works great with my BMW R1100R that has no windscreen. Was noisy as hell with the Rifle shield on my 94 Pacific Coast.

BTW, The Pacific Coast kept up with the ZRXs till the straights. I never thought I could lean that bike that low. Almost was able to touch my knee tot he ground!

Why did I not take a more suitable bike to the twisties? Lazy. The R1100R has a dead battery.
I have a few helmets.

Modular HJC Bluetooth
Modular Bilt Bluetooth
Full face Adventure Bilt helmet.
The Harley 3/4
DOT half helmet
Plastic bucket (for buzzing around the neighborhood on the CT70s or 90s.

I like buying the Bilt helmets from Cycle Gear. You can go into the store and put a helmet on and walk around for an hour with it on if you want. Plus, you can return it if it is noisy or for ANY reason.
They have me as a customer forever.

·
Super Moderator
5,250 Posts
Generic polycarbonate full face - cos the only bike I have is a TW and it's bleedin' cold over here most of the time. Besides, fibreglass just transfers more impact to your skull. The only thing I miss over the old AGV fibreglass helmets is that I can't smoke a ciggy while going down the road. Used to be able to light one up at 130 mph on the Guzzi G5.

A quick word of advice you youngsters - If you've had a recent haircut, this will affect the fit of a helmet - always go shopping for one when your about halfway done as far as "hair care" goes .....

And aflotalot - just because a helmet makes you "feel" safer - doesn't mean you are - "false sense of security" - let's be careful out there ..........

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Montezuma and I have been switching and trading Helmets ever since we got back from Moab....then I was using one of his old Snow Mobile Helmets in Puke Green and Black Stripes:happy5:...now with my melon bigger than his, we have switched out a couple....and I plan on using the Optical Mellow Yellow on the back roads and streets, and the Blue and White Bilt when riding off road locations, such as Moab:;)

Helmets 014.JPG

·
Registered
807 Posts
Half helmet, year round. Perhaps not the best choice, but I settled in on a half helmet decades ago, because I like to hear what is around me at all times... and now if I try any other helmet, i feel like i can't see or hear well enough...
The reason I cant do a half or no helmet (besides the law) I get ear aches in less than 10 minuets of riding. Its not the noise, its the actual air that goes into my ear.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I wear a full face MXer, the Fox V2 with tinted 100% MX googles. Fairly lightweight, fiberglass construction, breathes well, SNELL certified, quiet at speed, fits me perfectly and is bright and obnoxiously colored which hopefully gets me noticed on the road (that's the idea anyways). I absolutely love it and get tons of compliments on it.

·
Super Moderator
18,049 Posts
The reason I cant do a half or no helmet (besides the law) I get ear aches in less than 10 minuets of riding. Its not the noise, its the actual air that goes into my ear.
Ear plugs?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Shoei MX for the dirt because I don't want to bust up my face when (not if) I wipe out. Bell half helmet for putting around; has zip off bottom section which helps minimize wind noise over 40mph.

·
Registered
257 Posts
On the TW I wear a Shoei Hornet DS, on the Victory I wear either a Joe Rocket full face or a Shoei RF1000

Always have worn full face lids and always will. I have been hit doing 50-60km/hr (relatively slow). I was wearing a HJC modular helmet (full face flip up). Sadly as far as riding gear that's all I had as I was stepping out for a Quick lunch break at work and decided to skip gearing up (oppssss though in my case unlikely to have helped much). That being said to see what was left of that helmet at those speeds, there is not a chance in hell i would want any less. Because as ruff as that helmet looks I don't imagine my face would fare any better lol (might have improved my appearance though lol). My helmet did its job and I faired well head wise (lower half body not so much). I did have a concussion and have no recollection on the accident or half hr leading up to it but that seems to be the extent of the head injuries for me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
When i first got my TW in June, I bought a 3/4 open face -- roughly the same type as I'd had in 1970 with a Triumph 500, the last time I rode. Then, I got to reading about the 'new' full-face helmets, and how a large percentage of head injuries are to the face and jaw -- so I set the 3/4 aside, and ordered a full face.

This is what I got, from Revzilla: the "AFX FX-41 DS Hi-Vis Helmet" in yellow.

AFX FX-41 DS Hi-Vis Helmet - RevZilla

I've ridden about 1200 miles with it. I can't compare it with anything, but it seems to do everything I want. The feature I especially like is the clear outside face shield, combined with an interior drop down smoke sunscreen. I normally wear sunglasses when outside, but don't feel the need with this helmet, even when riding directly into the sun. I haven't ridden at night, or bad weather, but with the clear outside shield, I'd just have to flip the smoke sunscreen up and out of the way and I'd be looking out thru clear plastic.

The visor also extends out far enough that going into the sun, I can keep the sun blocked with no issues.

I don't know how noise levels compare with other helmets, but I learned real quickly the benefits of earplugs for both lowering noise, and keep the wind out.

The plugs I've been using so far are the "Hearos Ultimate Softness Series Foam Earplugs" from Amazon:

Amazon.com: Hearos Ultimate Softness Series Foam Earplugs, 20-Pair: Home & Kitchen

They seem to work fine, but I recently splurged and ordered these, the "Mack's Shooters Moldable Silicone Putty Earplugs", also Amazon:

Amazon.com: Mack's Shooters Moldable Silicone Putty Earplugs, Beige, 3 Pair: Sports & Outdoors

Haven't tried them yet, but just wanted to check out the differences and see what I like best.

Another thing about the AFX helmet: I assume it's standard on all full-face helmets, but it is easy to remove the outer clear shield to clean off dust and bugs. After a ride, I remove the shield and drop it into a large bowl of warm water for an hour or whatever. That softens up everything. I then very gently wipe all the gunk off and blot it dry with soft tissue paper. So far, the plastic has remained scratch free and good as new.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I just switched from a HJC motorcross helmet (suddenly realized it was 20yrs. old) to a GMAX 11D dual sport model. So far I really like the flexibility and drop down shield, while still retaining the visor. As with most of my gear, I can't imagine not wearing it when riding. Very comfortable and reasonably good venting. Great value so far.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Nolans fit my head and I just bought my 5th one recently. I wear the X-Lite on the TW when it's hot or I'm gonna get muddy. The N103 on nice days and on GS. I haven't worn the N104 yet, but I'm sure I'll be wearing earplugs with that one too! I have a Nolan head.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I just switched from a HJC motorcross helmet..
I retired my HJC motocross helmet too, a couple of weeks ago. I replaced it with a Voss Dually 600 dualsport helmet, in white. It's similar to sjh953's AFX - with visor, face shield and interior drop down smoked screen. I really like it for comfort, sound reduction and good value. I took it over to afloatafloat's place to show it off, but I have to concede to his new Shoei. His is pretty sweet. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts