TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking to buy a new helmet for my wife and I. looking at the full face dual sport or the half helmet. I am mostly going to ride dirt roads and trails. very little pavement. I kinda like the half helmet. please give me your opinion. Thanks Allen

·
Registered
425 Posts
About 22 years ago I had been riding all day. I did not wear helmet all day. Well I was cutting across a stretch of road to get to my Grandmother's house. I knew that I was going to ride across my Aunt's farm and I did not want to get caught by her or Grandma so I had put my Brain bucket on. I took a corner too fast, dumped the bike at 45 mphish. Some how I got flipped over, as my face slammed several times into the hardball my fore arms were shredded. I had been wearing a carhart vest which protected my torso. I had to finish riding home, but I was able to because my face and head were not turned into mush. It may not be as comfy as a half helmet, but I will ALWAYS use a full face helmet. Ride safe.

·
Registered
230 Posts
If you get pitched forward or hi side there's a good chance you'll land face down. The force involved makes it virtually impossible to keep your head from hitting the ground. I started off-road riding before full face helmets were introduced. Broke my nose three different times wearing 3/4 helmets. Twice with acrilic face shield and once with goggles. Had no control in trying to keep my head from hard contact with the ground.

A full face dual sport helmet would be a good idea. They also protect against small rocks and bugs.

·
Registered
13,420 Posts
Aside from all of the safety features a full face helmet provides as indicated by the testimony of those above, another good "possible" safety feature of the full face helmet is other drivers can't read your lips. With a full face helmet you can tell the idiot driver who just pulled out in front of you to "eff off" with relative safety of reprisal from other drivers. Additionally, I've found it very helpful that other drivers can't read my lips because on occasion, my dissatisfaction with their driving can lead to other fouled mouthed words to "blurp" out. If another driver can read your lips or hear you, this could cause road rage and you as a motorcyclist could end up in a roadside ditch. You don't want to end up in a roadside ditch.:D

·
Registered
425 Posts
Aside from all of the safety features a full face helmet provides as indicated by the testimony of those above, another good "possible" safety feature of the full face helmet is other drivers can't read your lips. With a full face helmet you can tell the idiot driver who just pulled out in front of you to "eff off" with relative safety of reprisal from other drivers. Additionally, I've found it very helpful that other drivers can't read my lips because on occasion, my dissatisfaction with their driving can lead to other fouled mouthed words to "blurp" out. If another driver can read your lips or hear you, this could cause road rage and you as a motorcyclist could end up in a roadside ditch. You don't want to end up in a roadside ditch.:D

Yes Admiral you are correct. They can not read the lips, but they always seem to understand the upward direction that I am indicating with my middle finger...:confused: not sure why.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Definitely a full face. The only injuries I ever suffered on a bike (so far, knock, knock) were all at a ridiculously low speed, one even stationary. :mad: And that was when I was wearing a 3/4.....got off the bike, tripped and faceplanted into a large boulder! 1/4 inch more and I would have broken my jaw. As it was I tore a dime sized piece out of my lip. :sad2:

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
I never even wore a helmet for many a year. And even now; I only wear a half helmet. I have to be able to hear all things around me. I want to make a couple trips this year though, so may have to finally get a good one. It is not recommended doing what I have done. The safety is out there for you; you should invest in it; for your own self and those who love you. Too many things can go wrong wearing a half helmet; I know for me; it is time to consider these things again.

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
Back to the subject at hand...............................;)

Allen in Utah, a helmet is a very subjective item. Some folks insist on a full face helmet........Some (like me) would NOT wear a full face helmet.

It is all personal choice. You and your wife need to get helmets that....# 1...fit you properly. And do NOT believe the salesman/woman in the dealership or parts store that tells you their opinion on helmets, as most of them do not ride...and if they do...it is a CBR600RR...so their helmet choice is very different than your needs.

# 1.....FIT. The helmet must fit you/her correctly...because if it does not, it will ruin your riding experience, cause you to take your attention off the trail, and focus on this damn helmet that keeps slipping and moving around on you. FIT ! If you can, put one on, and walk around the store for an hour, wearing it, while pretending to look at everything else in the store.

Visibility..........you need to be able to SEE...and not just what is directly in front of you.

As someone above said, but the BEST helmet that your bank account can afford....for each of you. Seriously !

Yes, there does come a point where a $ 1500.00 helmet is over-the-top, and a waste of money. But given the choice between a $ 50.00 helmet, and a $ 350.00 helmet.....give serious consideration to that $ 350.00 helmet, because there is a reason it costs that much.

Every helmet manufacturer has slightly different sizing, so an XL helmet in brand X.....will be different than an XL helmet in brand Y.

Once you get "close" to the right sizing for your head...and her head....then you have an idea of what "range" you can look in for each of you.

In my case, I take a size XXL (thank goodness I do not have Plumbstraight's head....a size 5XL...yes...XXXXXL) :p That either means he has a lot of brains, or....................:dontknow:

But an XXL in an Arai helmet (which fits me perfectly) is not the same as an XXL in a Shoei helmet.

Also, be VERY aware that there are TWO basic interior shapes of helmets.....the ROUND shape....and the EGG shape.

An example of this is.....an Arai helmet is, and always has been....an EGG shaped interior for their helmets. Whereas a Shoei helmet "used" to only offer a ROUND shape for the interior of their helmets.

Recently, in the past 3 years, Shoei realized that not all human beings have a ROUND shaped head, so they started to "offer" a new helmet shape, and made a big deal out of their new EGG shaped helmet interiors.

In the VERY old days...THEE company was Bell Helmets. In the past 30 years, the two companies that rule the helmet world are Arai..and Shoei.

All other helmet companies (except Skully) follow the rules and parameters set by both Arai and Shoei helmets.

I would politely advise against a Half-Helmet...unless that is your absolute desire, and you find the perfect fit and style you want in a half-helmet.

But that is solely my opinion.

Personally I wear Arai helmets, because they perfectly fit the shape of my head (I'm an egg-head) :D, and because of the quality of their helmets. Arai helmets are not cheap, but neither is my head. I generally pay about $ 600.00 for each and every Arai helmet I have, and I have a couple brand new ones still in the boxes, on the shelves in my motorcycle garage, because they changed the product line on me, and I liked the previous version, rather than the newer version, so I stocked up on them...at 6 bills a pop. :eek:

My Arai helmets are the 3/4 helmets, with a built-in flip-up face-shield. That is the way "I" like them. Easy to put on, and I can choose between having the built-in face-shield UP.....or Down...when riding.

Being in Utah, there are a lot of larger motorcycle shops, and accessory shops there, so...go to a few of them...try on helmets for hours and hours (like, do you really have ANYTHING better to do ?), and then go to the next shop, and see what THEY have.

Each dealership or accessory store will have a main line that they deal with...one particular brand that they give most of their business to. Don't be fooled into thinking...that must be the best brand.....it is just the brand that the vendor has pushed them into stocking. So, look around.

There are MANY good helmets out there. If you have other questions.....PLEASE ask.

But the ultimate decision will be made on FIT...Visibility.....Value for the dollar...and does this new helmet make YOU look like you have bigger muscles, and make her look like she has a smaller butt. :p

BTW, as per the chart posted above....the LIGHTNING impacted my helmet at the 3.4 % zone. :(
Nice post bro...

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
......so my wife and I were going to spend some time making them get the helmets out until we find the right one. again ....
THAT should only take about two full days! :p The one I like best is the F2 Carbon. It's really light, has really good ventilation. Had it 6 years now. I prefer a MX style with goggles, because I ride the TW so slowly that most of the time I can take the goggles off for better vision and ventilation. I got one of those quick release straps so I can don or remove the goggles fast with one hand. Nice when you come around a corner and find a truck coming at you with a lot of dust behind!

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Full face for sure.
In all these years my life has undoubtedly been saved twice by a full face...one Shoei, one Arai.
My pretty face has been left unaltered a number of more times.
As someone said...get the best one you can afford.
Dot approved, Snell approved.

A flip front is better that a 3/4, not as good as a solid/full face.
Flippers can not achieve the Snell approval. There is a reason for that.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts