TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
I prefer full face helmets when on road bikes and dual sport helmets when on the TW. That's my preference for sure. Of course what type of riding and weather can play a factor.

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
My preference is a non-full face helmet so I can eat bugs, wipe snot, and take a sip of water more easily.

However, ejfranz mentioned to be to fine/buy a lightweight DOT approved BMX/MX helmet. I did and I love it (except for the no eating bugs, harder to wipe off snot and take a drink of water part). It's also vented.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have a motocross style with goggles but when riding to work a few weeks ago it was 22° and I wish I had a helmet with a full face shield. I got an ice cream headache.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I ride with a regular Bell full face but I would really like something with a peak so I can block the sun at times.

·
Super Moderator
4,009 Posts
Generally I'll wear one off my xd4's, but I did just get a vx pro now that I found that scott makes otg goggles. It's to cold now, but I'll probably move to the vx pro for warm days when I'm not riding sweep. I like a full shield for heavy dust clouds on dry days. No one wants silicosis!

·
Registered
803 Posts
I have an Arai and I think it's money well spent at over $600 retail. It has a shield so I can wear sunglasses, regular prescription glasses. The visor can open as little or as much as I need to allow air circulation. I also have a bluetooth intercom to talk with riding buddies and it's very easy to mount the mic and the ear pieces.

·
Super Moderator
4,009 Posts
Thats an xd4, I have one in that color too. They were closing them out at a "can't say no price". Great helmets. I actually think Arai is the best dual sport helmet but I'm sure not all would agree.

I have an Arai and I think it's money well spent at over $600 retail. It has a shield so I can wear sunglasses, regular prescription glasses. The visor can open as little or as much as I need to allow air circulation. I also have a bluetooth intercom to talk with riding buddies and it's very easy to mount the mic and the ear pieces.

·
Registered
41 Posts
A friend of mine got a little too close to the bike in front of her and clipped the rear tire. She went down really hard and in the process took a third of her lower jaw off. I mean gone. Most all of her weight went down on her face / jaw. She has had numerous surgeries and still is not right. Most of this if not all could have been avoided with a full face helmet. After that I no longer own an open face helmet. She's doing much better and hopefully one day will be fully recovered.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Well, actually a "Dual Sport" helmet *is* a full face.
I have 2 Arais, a traditional full face and a dual sport.
Arais are top o' the line...dual sport my fave.

Bonneville 2008...the only "Dual Sport" lid in the motorcycle division!
I removed the big ol' bug catcher bill (as shown), then at speed I laid down on the tank, helmet cheek-down, peeking through the windscreen, no prob!

There's really not all that much to see anyway...

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
I've been pretty happy with my Fly Trekker. The flip down shield keeps the bugs out of my eyes and the sun visor does not try to tear my head off when road riding.

·
Super Moderator
4,009 Posts
This is worth posting twice.

Best wishes for your friend :)

A friend of mine got a little too close to the bike in front of her and clipped the rear tire. She went down really hard and in the process took a third of her lower jaw off. I mean gone. Most all of her weight went down on her face / jaw. She has had numerous surgeries and still is not right. Most of this if not all could have been avoided with a full face helmet. After that I no longer own an open face helmet. She's doing much better and hopefully one day will be fully recovered.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Darth I like your slip streamer. I just can't get it out of my head that I would love to build the "worlds fastest TW200" and go run it in Bonneville. Dirts good but sometimes I crave salt.
They probably have a minimum acceptable speed!

You need to go see it!
WARNING: You will be hooked!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Helmet Info

T'he Fly racing Trekker is a solid, lightweight duel sport with a visor-and a face shield-Many features and can be worn with goggles in place and the face shield down- Runs about $149.00 most places

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
My KLR 650 on the salt.
Great pit bike!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just picked up an LS2 evo metro to replace my open face bucket. It has a modular design, the front portion flips up, which is nice when you're stopped, or slow going and want that air flow. dual screens on it also. So far I really like it for street and trail riding.

Internet photo:
metro.jpg

·
Registered
350 Posts

Yep, me too, Tour X4.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just picked up an LS2 evo metro to replace my open face bucket. It has a modular design, the front portion flips up, which is nice when you're stopped, or slow going and want that air flow. dual screens on it also. So far I really like it for street and trail riding.

Internet photo:
View attachment 187422
I too picked up a LS2 but the Breaker model with dual screens (internal sun visor) because after starting with an open face (and sunglasses) and realizing how often I wanted to switch back and forth b/ glasses and no sunglasses, I wanted something that made this much easier.

View attachment 187426

1 - 20 of 20 Posts