TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a Duro DI-2025 Power Grip Front/Rear Tire 26X8R14 (205/75-14) and tried to mount it myself today. Finally got it on the rim but couldn't get the bead to set. Repeatedly inflated to 100psi and deflated, used lots of WD40 to lube the bead, then it blew apart! $200 worth of tire and tube down the crapper!

I just bought my 89 TW a couple of weeks ago, primarily becaus I wanted to mount a big, nasty ATV rear tire, like so many owners have. So....

I'm a slow learner and am going to get another ATV tire, so can anyone give me some pointers on how to safely and successfully mount one of these tires. I specifically got the Duro because many people have mounted them. Please help. Does the 89 TW have a slightly different rim contour or something?

Thanks in advance!

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Do a search it is covered. hope you are OK.

·
Registered
20,366 Posts
A search will show how to trim bead on Duro. Lower pressure and greater patience after trimming should work.

·
Registered
855 Posts
maKE SURE TO TRIM THE BEAD PROPERLY, use purple HD Slick as a lubricant, and then use the ratchet strap. Also try taking it to a tire shop. They do tires all day long and know all the tricks. Anytime you do something the first time (juggling, field dressing a deer, having sex, training a dog, driving a car, etc) you always do a piss poor job of it the first time. Mounting an atv tire on a MC is no different.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I ordered another tire and tube so I'll get a chance to use your tricks. Very much appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
The bead trim is the only way to get it done, that and a lot of lube. When i did mine i found the best lube to use came from my local CVS in the form of astroglide.

·
Registered
493 Posts
You need to have a proper cage to do this. You can drastically change your life in a bad way doing this without it. You got lucky but don't count on luck.

Reactions: joeband

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
You need to have a proper cage to do this. You can drastically change your life in a bad way doing this without it. You got lucky but don't count on luck.
I concur... tire work has killed a few folks... or disfigured. 100psi can produce tremendous force. multiply the square inches of the sidewall on the tire by 100lb and you will get an idea.

·
Registered
20,366 Posts
Yes to all the above. My Duro was trimmed then taken to a tire shop where I urged them to not overpressure nor risk damage or injury. "70 psi max please and I'll finish at home of not seated". Sure enough, 90% bead seated, I took home, placed in front of wood stove @ ~50 psi and waited overnight. Two gentle "pops" the next morning and Everything looked great.

·
Registered
20,366 Posts
I like the way sometimes the solution to TW problems is just ride the darn thing. Bead not seated? Ride it! Gummy carburator? SeaFoam it then Ride it!
Now if only I can figure how riding can unbend the clutch lever:D

·
Registered
6,435 Posts
I like the way sometimes the solution to TW problems is just ride the darn thing. Bead not seated? Ride it! Gummy carburator? SeaFoam it then Ride it!
Now if only I can figure how riding can unbend the clutch lever:D
Ride it backwards down a hill then dump it on the left side at approximately the same speed you were traveling at when you bent it. Works every time. Honest.;) If for some reason this sure fire strategy does not work I have a clutch lever for sale:D

Tom

·
Registered
20,366 Posts
If the Mechanical Engineer thinks I should reverse engineer it then I'll give it a try. Tau Beta Pi.

·
Registered
6,435 Posts
If the Mechanical Engineer thinks I should reverse engineer it then I'll give it a try. Tau Beta Pi.
Tau Beta Pi hardly! That may be my job description "per my employer" but I consider myself a good old "fix it" man. I wear that blue collar with great pride.

Tom

Reactions: Fred

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
My saying is "when in doubt throttle out" 60% of the time it works everytime. When I was in aviation school some knuckle head new kid over at Bombardier grabbed the nitrogen tank with no regulator on it"2-3,000psi" and tried to air up a tire. When he hit it the tire blew apart like a bomb. Tossing a huge chunk of it threw the cabin on the nice jet sitting next to it. That probably cost the company boo koo bucks to repair. Kid was lucky he didnt lose a limb or his head.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
from reading the title, i thought you were going to need the astroglide because you we're [email protected]#Ked. i've blown a bicycle tire and that impressed me with what it can do, an ATV tire at 100psi? you're lucky to have gotten off at $200 with your eyesight and fingers intact.

common sense and search up on this tread. good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So I trimmed the bead, used lots of KY lube, and inflated to 30-40psi several times and the tire didn't seat. Tried wrapping the circumference with straps and inflated to 30-40psi several times and the tire still didn't seat. Took it to a shop with a big compressor and still didn't seat. Left it in front of the furnace for several days (it's still there) and didn't seat.

Any other advice?

I want to put the wheel back on the bike and ride it to see if that might seat it. Any comments on that?

·
Registered
79 Posts
On tires that I've had a hard time seating I'll put around 30 pounds in them and then go around and around the bead with about a 3 pound hammer or stick tire spoons down between the bead and rim and pull, going around the tire in 1-2" increments.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts