TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I just obtained an xt200 for free, but there was a catch. It has a crack in the crankcase cover! I have had many bikes before and did not think it would be an issue to find one, but I was wrong. Anyone know where I can get one?

Thank you all.

·
Registered
20,493 Posts
IMG_4125.JPG IMG_4135.JPG IMG_4142.JPG
Have you considered repairing the crack with JBWeld?
Many of us have resorted to this repair with great long lasting success.
Cast it, shape it, grind it, paint it!

...or just goop some on over the crack after a really good surface preparation. images.jpeg

·
Registered
1,405 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice. I kind of agree as it is in a thin high mobility spot. The one on eBay has a big whole in it so I think I will head to a dealer to see what years match

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have one for sale in pretty much new condition, over in the classified section, if you need a replacement. I'll PM you.

edit: I may have jumped the gun, as I didn't see that you said XT200, oops. The cover does look super close to the TW family clutch cover shape, but are they compatible? If so, my offer stands as I would like to help.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I have a running xt200 in my garage that I have been toying with selling or parting out. If you can't find the cover you need, let me know and maybe I will sell. The cdi is about the most valuable part on the bike, around $250 for a new one, or was a few years ago when I replaced mine. Supposedly on the xt200 if it is ran for longer than a few seconds without the battery connected, it sends too much power to the cdi and partially fries it. When I got mine, also for free, that is what had happened to the previous owner and cdi. It would run but not rev over maybe 2000 rpm. Runs great with the new cdi. I hope you can get yours going without costing you too much.

·
Registered
20,493 Posts
Alumaweld is good stuff, have seen reposts of tensile strengths of 6300 p.s.i. compared to JBWeld's 3,960 psi tensile strength.
MAP gas works better than propane for putting heat into the case half.
Considering that it is free and the case half is otherwise junk I would not be afraid to experiment with either repair material. The JBWeld is certainly fairly easy to work with.

Reactions: cowboyjeff

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for the advice. I am definitely not looking to put much money into it. It sat in a shed for the past 2 years but before that was owned by a mechanic and ran fine until he cracked the cover. I just want to see if the engine is still good before spending too much. I did not know about the CDI. Thank you for the heads up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts