TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
My gun guy has offered me a deal on two rifles new Rugers for $299. total I do not deer hunt now do not have time but in two years I want to start so would you get the 243 or the 270 ?

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
My gun guy has offered me a deal on two rifles new Rugers for $299. total I do not dear hunt now do not have time but in two years I want to start so would you get the 243 or the 270 ?

New to motorcycles but I do know my firearms. If you are looking for a rifle that would be dedicated to deer size game you should go with the .270 no real debate there. However, if you have an interest in hunting anything else "predators such as coyotes or bobcats" then the .243 is more versatile. It should be noted that the .243 is on the small end for deer size game but with a 100gr bullet and careful placement it is still very capable. In all honesty it is a similar comparison to the debate between a TW and a DR650. They are both capable but excel at different things.

Tom

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
New to motorcycles but I do know my firearms. If you are looking for a rifle that would be dedicated to deer size game you should go with the .270 no real debate there. However, if you have an interest in hunting anything else "predators such as coyotes or bobcats" then the .243 is more versatile. It should be noted that the .243 is on the small end for deer size game but with a 100gr bullet and careful placement it is still very capable. In all honesty it is a similar comparison to the debate between a TW and a DR650. They are both capable but excel at different things.

Tom
That is what I was thinking .270 it is. I have a few shot's 1959 Winchester 30. 30. lever action model 94 with A half of a box has been shot in it. is in my collection ( my Dads) I was thinking about using it but it is worth a few bucks. Paul

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
That is what I was thinking .270 it is. I have a few shot's 1959 Winchester 30. 30. lever action with A half of a box has been shot in it. is in my collection ( my Dads) I was thinking about using it but it is worth a few bucks. Paul
"Worth a few bucks"? Sounds priceless to me if it was your Dad's!

Tom

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"Worth a few bucks"? Sounds priceless to me if it was your Dad's!

Tom
I don't think my Dad ever shot it I got a box of 20 and I shot it a few times and my son shot it a few times and I still have the box of 20 - 12.

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
I don't think my Dad ever shot it I got a box of 20 and I shot it a few times and my son shot it a few times and I still have the box of 20 - 12.
I have shot a few deer in the Michigan woods with a 30/30. One of my favorites with some after market fiber optic sites by "Williams" also a Michigan company.

Tom

·
Registered
462 Posts
.270 is a lovely sized deer rifle. Basically, it's a necked down 30-06. I used a 30-06 for several years hunting whitetail in WI. .270 will have far more knockdown power than a .243; while a .243 has better range (retains speed over distance). I would go with the .270 as it has great range and plenty of power. .243 is just too small for big game - unless you have, as Tom mentioned, a well-placed shot (heart, lungs, neck or head). ...which is really where you should be shooting a dear anyway ;)

·
Registered
182 Posts
.270 is a Hell of a round for that price. I bought a Remington 700 on close out, (308) last year for $499 which I thought was a great deal. The 30/30 is a great round also. You can't beat the lever actions I have a few in different calibers, good fun guns. I love the pistol/rifle combos. :D

Reactions: ZDR1

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will get the .270 as I want to keep the pre 64 30.30 Winchester 94 for my Grandson I will pick it up Tuesday I have a scope. thanks guys I have not shot a deer as of yet but will do it soon .

Reactions: goldenhtr

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Reactions: Fred

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Deer around here are basically man sized animals at around 150 pounds. Almost every one I ever shot and there has been many, all were a good deal closer than 100 yards. I hunt deer for meat and am not overly interested in horn soup. I always take neck or head shots so I don't ruin a lot of what I want to eat. Others differ here and alway go for the heart or lungs. To each his own. I use a .308 with 150 grain soft points. Never had a deer go more than 10 yards from where he was hit and they usually just drop in their tracks. A .270-30-06 in my opinion is way more gun than necessary for here in the NY mountains. I don't need long range, flat shooters or real heavy hitters. The .308 is the NATO man killer and perfect for deer and black bear around here.

Out in open range flat country I might want the .270 or 30-06 where I may get a 200 yard opportunity. At 50 yards the 30/30 or .308 is just right for the job and my trusted Winchester model 100 semi auto has served me well for 40+ years and always right on the Mark out to 100 yards where I have the scope set to. From a good position, solid rest a tennis ball does not stand a chance and I have 4 rounds left that I can get off before you chamber the second shot.

GaryL

·
Registered
462 Posts
Deer around here are basically man sized animals at around 150 pounds. Almost every one I ever shot and there has been many, all were a good deal closer than 100 yards. I hunt deer for meat and am not overly interested in horn soup. I always take neck or head shots so I don't ruin a lot of what I want to eat. Others differ here and alway go for the heart or lungs. To each his own. I use a .308 with 150 grain soft points. Never had a deer go more than 10 yards from where he was hit and they usually just drop in their tracks. A .270-30-06 in my opinion is way more gun than necessary for here in the NY mountains. I don't need long range, flat shooters or real heavy hitters. The .308 is the NATO man killer and perfect for deer and black bear around here.

Out in open range flat country I might want the .270 or 30-06 where I may get a 200 yard opportunity. At 50 yards the 30/30 or .308 is just right for the job and my trusted Winchester model 100 semi auto has served me well for 40+ years and always right on the Mark out to 100 yards where I have the scope set to. From a good position, solid rest a tennis ball does not stand a chance and I have 4 rounds left that I can get off before you chamber the second shot.

GaryL
GaryL,
I like the .308 round as well. I also used to just go for large doe - for the meat. Head shots are a very acceptable way to down an animal and if the shot presented itself, that's what I'd go for too :) That type of a shot is really only available on opening morning, before the shots from every direction begin. There are so many hunters, that by mid morning opening day the deer are already scampering about a mile a minute!

Golly, I miss hunting! It's a lottery here in NV and just that fact makes me not even want to participate in hunting them, as they're so scarce. Furthermore, I'm thinking the venison from sage-fed deer can't compare to the alfalfa & corn fed deer of WI.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
No shortage of deer around here. Just last Wed. when returning from vacation at 3 AM we drove the last 10 mile leg to home and counted 24 deer on the shoulder or crossing the roads. I can hunt for miles in deep woods and never see another hunter but why bother when they tend to hang out behind yards and near the roads more than anywhere. I know lots of people who never hunted a day in their life but got 4 or 5 deer with their cars. They are more of a problem in these parts.

GaryL

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
No shortage of deer around here. Just last Wed. when returning from vacation at 3 AM we drove the last 10 mile leg to home and counted 24 deer on the shoulder or crossing the roads. I can hunt for miles in deep woods and never see another hunter but why bother when they tend to hang out behind yards and near the roads more than anywhere. I know lots of people who never hunted a day in their life but got 4 or 5 deer with their cars. They are more of a problem in these parts.

GaryL

I would gladly come over with my Dad and thin the heard for you this fall! As payment I would bring my TW and let you service it for me before winter set's in. I know I am a giver but that is just the way I was raised:D

Tom

Reactions: sp_cache

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
I would gladly come over with my Dad and thin the heard for you this fall! As payment I would bring my TW and let you service it for me before winter set's in. I know I am a giver but that is just the way I was raised:D

Tom
LOL! I wouldn't doubt if Gary would take you up on the offer!

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After Gary L's input I gave it a lot of thought today and called my gun guy and passed on the 270, I have a very cool Winchester 94, 30 30 that would do the job so if any one is interested he can ship it to you at a near by FFL or pawn shop. So I felt bad for not buying it and got one of the wheel guns I love my LCR .38, Gun Genie

5414 RUG LCR 22M REV 1.875B 6RD 1 $419.57 $419.57 I will have in my pocket for when walking the dog.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
After Gary L's input I gave it a lot of thought today and called my gun guy and passed on the 270, I have a very cool Winchester 94, 30 30 that would do the job so if any one is interested he can ship it to you at a near by FFL or pawn shop. So I felt bad for not buying it and got one of the wheel guns I love my LCR .38, Gun Genie

5414 RUG LCR 22M REV 1.875B 6RD 1 $419.57 $419.57 I will have in my pocket for when walking the dog.
The .270 is a fine caliber for deer hunting but just much better suited for a place like AZ where you could be taking shots of 200-300 yards. Here in the NY Catskills a Wolly Mamouth could walk by at 300 yards and you would never see it unless hunting in a farmers fields.

If I owned any land myself I would be fine with having friends down for hunting and thinning the heard. There are probably 20,000 acres of state owned open hunting parcels right around my area where anyone with a license can legally hunt. I don't hunt much any more but I always found it pretty funny how guys search for the deepest woods to hunt in and most of the deer are right up close to the houses and roads. These two were regular visitors in my back yard two years ago and I never tossed lead at any of them, Horn soup is not very tasty but young does sure are.

You can have all of these guys.

This is typical in my yard all winter long.

GaryL

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If I can not hit a desert mule deer at 150 feet I should not have a gun in my hand!

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The AZ mule deer is closer to a Maine Moose. Arizona-Archery-Mule-Deer.jpg

Reactions: Fred
1 - 20 of 73 Posts