TW200 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an '06 TW200, 3800 miles on factory tires. The front end developes a side-to-side shimmy at speeds over 65 mph.

Today I pulled the forks off, changed the oil to make sure that both sides were equally filled. Everything inside the forks looked good.

The front wheel bearing appeared to be fine. While the wheel was off, I placed the axle bolt thru the bearing to check for any play in the bearings, all looked good.

The stearing bearings felt fine; smooth with no notchiness felt at all.

Where should I go from here to diagnose the problem? Is replacing the front tire the next logical step?

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Torque all your motor mounts and your swingarm bolt before moving on..

A lot of times it isn't the front end at all. The tail wags the dog.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Do the motor mounts as lizrd said. With the front wheel off the ground, look for warping by just spinning. If that's clear, see if the tire is balanced. If you're really running out of ideas after that, see if your forks are warped at all.

I should add that replacing the tire probably won't fix your problem unless you happen to balance the new one, but you can fix that without a new tire. Some people do put a 3 year max on perfectly good tires for safety's sake though.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll try torguing the engine mounts and swingarm tonight. After that, I'll take the tire in to be balanced.

I'm running 21 psi in the front, 25 psi in the back right now.

Took a long ride yesterday. Everything was fine when I kept speed under 60 on pavement, and I had a ton of fun once I got off road. The TW just skitters and dances thru clay and mud... and keeps on going! Quite confidence inspiring.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Steering stem bearing adjustment. How about going over all the chassis hardware front to back. Needs to be done occasionally, anyway. Grease the swingarm. Play with tire pressures.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts