TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help. My 1987 TW200 was running fine 2 weeks ago then stopped. It now leaks fuel from the carb, I think that's the carb. From what I've researched it's maybe a stuck needle valce in the carb. Does anybody know anything about this?? I am beyond my scope of practice and am having trouble findind somebody in the Bay Area to work on it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Alan

·
Registered
8,435 Posts
Help. My 1987 TW200 was running fine 2 weeks ago then stopped. It now leaks fuel from the carb, I think that's the carb. From what I've researched it's maybe a stuck needle valce in the carb. Does anybody know anything about this?? I am beyond my scope of practice and am having trouble findind somebody in the Bay Area to work on it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Alan
Well Alan, Sure we can help however this might not be your cup of tea. We can explain it to you but we can't understand it for you. These carbs are rather intricate little buggers and they are not anything for a non mechanically minded individual to tackle. If you don't have a MC dealer or repair shop near by then I would suggest you go to a small engine repair shop for a little help. Chances are your needle valve and seat need replacing or have a piece of crud keeping the valve from seating to shut the fuel flow off. Post some particulars in your profile about where you live and there is a good chance a member could be close by and willing to help. Not all of us are mechanics so it is OK for you saying this could be above your pay grade. The carb does need some repair that is actually quite minor to many of us but a daunting task for others. If all else fails then try this as a possible fix, I did say POSSIBLE! Buy a can of Sea Foam fuel treatment at Walmart or a local auto supply shop. Pour in a few ounces in the gas tank and go for a 20 minute ride. After the ride shut the petcock on the tank to the off position and let the bike sit over night with the treatment. Sometimes this could dissolve the particle if that is the only issue.

GaryL

Reactions: peruano

·
Registered
29 Posts
Exactly where is it leaking? Float bowl or overflow? Can you upload a picture?

·
Registered
23,162 Posts
Problem, and solution are not un-common. Thus many posts have addressed this in the past. Look at bottom left corner of this web page for section entitled " Similar Threads" and you should find all the info needed to fix this affordably yourself. Good luck!

Reactions: peruano

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
If you decide to do it yourself:
1. Loosen clamps to rubber boots (from air filter and to cylinder head)
2. Rotate carb sideways
3. Unscrew carb bowl. If never been off, be careful with screw heads...this would be the major concern. They are Japanese heads, which is like a Phillips, but with tip of screwdriver point ground off...otherwise the screwdriver point length with not give a good bite.
4. Remove float, with care, remove float needle, with care and clean. If ridges, then replace.
5. Reassemble...these are the basics, but there are threads with photos and much more detail.

6. If crud reached your float, then pull the petcock and check the screen.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well Alan, Sure we can help however this might not be your cup of tea. We can explain it to you but we can't understand it for you. These carbs are rather intricate little buggers and they are not anything for a non mechanically minded individual to tackle. If you don't have a MC dealer or repair shop near by then I would suggest you go to a small engine repair shop for a little help. Chances are your needle valve and seat need replacing or have a piece of crud keeping the valve from seating to shut the fuel flow off. Post some particulars in your profile about where you live and there is a good chance a member could be close by and willing to help. Not all of us are mechanics so it is OK for you saying this could be above your pay grade. The carb does need some repair that is actually quite minor to many of us but a daunting task for others. If all else fails then try this as a possible fix, I did say POSSIBLE! Buy a can of Sea Foam fuel treatment at Walmart or a local auto supply shop. Pour in a few ounces in the gas tank and go for a 20 minute ride. After the ride shut the petcock on the tank to the off position and let the bike sit over night with the treatment. Sometimes this could dissolve the particle if that is the only issue.

GaryL
Man, I am so glad I found this site. You guys are awesome. Thanks so much for your response seems right on. Atleast from all the google searchs and "zen and the art of notorcycle mechanics" I've put into it. We all have are talents mine is in blow glass so working on a carb seems like brain surgery. I live in Oakland, Ca and would love to trade some glass art or $ for some work on my bike

Attachments

·
Registered
8,435 Posts
Man, I am so glad I found this site. You guys are awesome. Thanks so much for your response seems right on. Atleast from all the google searchs and "zen and the art of notorcycle mechanics" I've put into it. We all have are talents mine is in blow glass so working on a carb seems like brain surgery. I live in Oakland, Ca and would love to trade some glass art or $ for some work on my bike
Nice jug Allan. I do some work for a dentist friend here who knows all about teeth and zero about mechanical stuff. We all seem to find our niche in life. All the info you need is right here if you think you want to tackle this yourself. I and many others would say it is easy but it is actually very hard for a person who does not have the tools nor desire to dive in. I can't cure a tooth ache either so I leave that to my other buddies. I will say this about riding and owning any motorcycle. They do require a certain degree of normal maintenance that is best done by yourself because the shops get expensive quick. All the guidance you will need can be found right here or find yourself a pal who is mechanical with this stuff to help you. Sportsterdoc above gave you a quick walk through and was probably speaking Greek about the different screws called JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) which look like Phillips heads but are far from them. Keep us posted when you get this figured out. I'm about 3,000 miles away but I am sure there are a few guys closer who might be reading this.

GaryL

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
...Sportsterdoc above gave you a quick walk through and was probably speaking Greek about the different screws called JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) which look like Phillips heads but are far from them.
GaryL
MrMagoo123
Several of us would be pleased to walk you through it.
Most post to try to be helpful, share our school of hard knocks and maybe help avoid some of the mistakes we made.

As for JIS, read this just before bedtime...might be a cure for insomnia: When a Phillips Is Not a Phillips!: 30 Steps (with Pictures)

OTOH, I have worked on a lot of bikes without a JIS screwdriver.
However, after removal, the JIS were replaced by Allen head...because they may not survive a second removal.

Rather than just shove in a Phillips and twisting, it was helpful to use a 3/8 drive #2 with a breaker bar and then tap on the breaker bar/bit with a mallet (while applying CCW force) for a poor man's impact wrench. Working on older bikes, a couple may have needed the persuasion of vise grips.

Always use the largest driver that will fit...don't use a #2 on a #3.

Sky Light Night Atmospheric phenomenon Lighting

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.