TW200 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
I love the site of a filter doing it's job in the morning!

Wash, Rinse, Repeat Intensive Riding!

Reactions: Smitty Blackstone

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
I find some of that soft black stuff in my filter after hard and hot riding. It's cooked oil, nothing to worry about. The metal should taper off after about 6-800 miles. If nothing similar to that chunk of gasket shows up in the strainer at next oil change you are fine. I would change the oil again at 300 miles from now just to see how the amount of junk has changed. Sometimes after a trip to the hot desert with really hard riding I'll clean the filter halfway between 1,000 mile changes. (after break-in, of course)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I find some of that soft black stuff in my filter after hard and hot riding. It's cooked oil, nothing to worry about. The metal should taper off after about 6-800 miles. If nothing similar to that chunk of gasket shows up in the strainer at next oil change you are fine. I would change the oil again at 300 miles from now just to see how the amount of junk has changed. Sometimes after a trip to the hot desert with really hard riding I'll clean the filter halfway between 1,000 mile changes. (after break-in, of course)
Thanks for the info. I did my front sprocket on the last oil change and reused the old gasket. i think a piece must have broken off. I don't have any leaks anywhere but i am going to order a replacement and open up the case to have a look anyway.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
:ROFLMAO: i love it!
2009? how many km's on it. i thought by looking at the amount of crap in the filter that it was it's first oil change. if that is a 2009, i would be alittle concerned. on my first oil changes, my filters have looked like your's, after the first change, they have been clean

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
2009? how many km's on it. i thought by looking at the amount of crap in the filter that it was it's first oil change. if that is a 2009, i would be alittle concerned. on my first oil changes, my filters have looked like your's, after the first change, they have been clean
Do you still think I should put some miles on it and then take another look or should I start pulling it apart...

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Do you still think I should put some miles on it and then take another look or should I start pulling it apart...
the oil in you picture looked kind of dirty. if your bikes is running good and not making an extra noises, i would change it twice over the next 200 miles and see how it is then, before starting anything. it maybe not maintained well by the PO

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Some people don't know what oil is for....they ride or drive until the engine seizes and then say: "You mean I have to change the oil regularly?" 🥴

Some parts of the gasket for the left side don't actually seal any oil, it probably came from those areas. If it doesn't leak I would forget about it until the next time you need to take it off again. Like Grewen says, change oil in 100 miles and have a good look at the filter and the screen. If they look good with out much metal you could change it again 300 miles after that and if that one looks pretty clean you could go to 1,000 mile intervals. If it has that much metal after just 100 miles then definitely do it again in 100, but I doubt that you will see that much.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Put almost 100 miles on today including a steep off road hill climb that was very clutch heavy. More crap on the filter than I was hoping for. Non of it stuck to the magnet so I am thinking it’s clutch material?. I also noticed a bit more vibration than usual at higher rpm which is also worrying...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
18,078 Posts
Put almost 100 miles on today including a steep off road hill climb that was very clutch heavy. More crap on the filter than I was hoping for. Non of it stuck to the magnet so I am thinking it’s clutch material?. I also noticed a bit more vibration than usual at higher rpm which is also worrying...
Magnet?

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
why don't you take a 100 mile ride where you don't have to use the clutch. that would help narrow down the possiblities. if you are tormenting the clutch, maybe the metal is also coming from the clutch basket parts

1 - 19 of 19 Posts