TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just go my racks finalized. Cyclerack with tinman sideracks. I am trying to decide between the petandhorse versa pack (VP100) saddlebags (suck that they don't come in black) and a pair of 20L or 30L drybags.

1. I will be using them for some overnight camping so they won't live on the bike day in and day out.
2. Are the house bags big enough for some clothes, food and supplies?
3. Since I upgraded to the clarke tank I won't need to carry a rotopax for fuel.

Anything else I am missing?

·
Registered
19,575 Posts
The size of saddlebags you want sort of depends on how compact and light your camp gear is. With the much smaller VP-125 horn bags I was able to pack just enough food,micro- stove, water, light, etc for a solo overnight trip but all bedding, tent and a fleece sweater had to go on top of Cyclerack. I also have a set of the much bigger but discontinued insulated VP-175(?) that should be able to gobble up three times the volume but bedding still needs to go on top of rack in Cooper's spot.
I had planned to test the bigger Versa-Packs overnight this weekend but severe flu has laid me up.:(
The Versa-Packs have a low list price but the shipping is a little steep so I ordered several items to dilute the apparent shipping cost per item. I got three of the cantle packs so I could stack like cord-wood similar waterproofed logs of sleeping bag, tent, clothing and Thermarest.

So for occasional use I think the Petandhorse Versa-Packs are acceptable. They sure fit over the CycleRack nicely. Zippers are a little difficult to manage. Color choice is limited but they could be dyed black.

Twilight had some bags in Moab that seems easier to access, Wolfman brand perhaps?

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Oklahoma Motorcycle Luggage - Deluxe Version

Overnight camping:

Long trips & pig haulin':

·
Registered
928 Posts
I have the VP-100. They're nice and large. They need a little reinforcement to deep their shape, but they fit really well.

·
Registered
19,575 Posts
EWB, I have three of the VP-240 cantle bags. They have full length zippers which makes it a little more difficult to stuff a down sleeping bag or clothing into compared to a top closing conventional duffle bag however my tent loads into the third cantle bag just fine. Thick Thermarest was just a bit too big for the cantle but it's stuff sack matches the ~6" diameter by 20" length. So the advantage of all four loaded bags being same size is ease of securing to rack. Otherwise the sleeping bag's factory stuff sack would have been more of a ball shape.

Have better pics somewhere but here is one with sleeping bag in cantle pack next to Thermarest and 1 gallon Rotopac fuel. Small saddle horn VP-125's hang off sides. 2 qts water plus food and sweater are in a valise as base layer on rack. As you can see the cantle pack is rather tightly stuffed with 25 degree down mummy. Rather colorful mix means I should be able to find my bike even in heavy fog:rolleyes: 7c9060e63f52f620038af0b0fee5479a.jpg

·
Registered
19,575 Posts
Gee Joe, figured the missus would have had you hauling home all the groceries in your VersaPacks by now.
You and I both have the large insulated VP-175 which seem to be no longer available. The insulation seems minimal so don't expect to go for too long a ride before the ice-cream melts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts