TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been going back and fourth on purchasing a tw. I have a friend who has an 01 which he will sell me at a decent price.

Pros. Fun..cheap..gas saver..dual sport

cons. ugly as sin, top speed will make you a speed bump here in socal.

With that said, The bike would primarily be used for local commuting, and play. I was on the hell no side, until I recently saw a local tw I had first mistaken as a ural. Upon second look, seeing the fat tire, I went back to the by it now side. So now make up my mind please.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Ugly??? You must have looked at one in pink??? If you use it for commuting and play, go for it. Otherwise you will miss out on a lot of fun. Read the posts on this forum and you will know why we all "love" our tdubs.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
I've never met anyone who has actually known someone on a motorcycle moving slower than traffic to get run over from behind. Those I know of who have been hit from behind were hit when traffic slowed or stopped and the person behind them didn't. Always watch your 6.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From what I have read in ADV rider forums, a lot of people like myself that have been apprehensive in getting a t-dub, ended up loving the bike. I am going to pull the trigger. Worst case, if I hate it, I can easily get what I am paying, but I don't think that will be the case. Besides, I do have an alterior motive. I want to try to get my wife into bikes, and I figure this would be the easiest way.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
People ride scooters in SoCal, do they not? Look at it this way... For commuting the TW is one heck of a lot better than a scooter, gets comparable gas mileage, can take you on a trail ride offroad (which a scooter can't). If you're still insecure, make yourself a sticker for the back that says -- "Hey...! At least it's not a Scooter!!"

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
5 years ago my wife and I bought 2 new blue 06's.. The salesmen wondered if I would like after riding a total of 100,000 + miles in 40 years of riding.. Well, I now have 7,000 + miles a I still love riding it.. I have an 09 triumph I ride for the big trill, but on "ALL"short rides it's the T-dub.

As far as ugly goes..... No way.. At almost every stop we get lots of looks.. The other day my best friend,wife and I rode our three dubs to an outing. Boy, we even had harley guys stop by. OMM.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Ugly? I thought the 2001 model was a nice looking bike. Did you friend paint it some gawd-awful color? As for, 'Top speed will make you a speed bump here in So Cal', Unless you're planning on jumping on one of our many freeways I disagree. I commute about 10 miles one way to work and most of it on PCH and my bike works great for me and I certainly haven't been made a speed bump. Whether you buy used or new doesn't matter, just buy one. These bikes are a freaking blast!!!

·
Registered
502 Posts
I won't do the local freeways with the TW, but I have been riding all over south Orange County on secondary roads (include PCH) between San Juan Capistrano, Huntington Beach and Cleveland NF all summer. It's a great commuter if you aren't going too far. Low seat and weight, easy controls, and a bit of a race to 3rd gear at every stop. I'd do it just for the great annoyed looks I get from all the RUB's around here, but it's piratical and a lot of fun too! It is a little embarrassing to have some scooter beat you off the line.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Ugly? From the Rock Store to Cook's Corner to Hell's Kitchen to Neptune's I've never owned a motorcycle that attracted so much attention.

Once at the Rock store we had a $100,000+ Confederate Motorcycle on the cafe side and our two TW's parked way down the line on the "uncool" side of the road, and probably several million dollars worth of machinery in between. Guess where the crowd formed? At the Confederate, and at our Tw's.

There's something to the "speedbump" notion until you master the fine art of "space management" required to do freeway miles in SoCal on a TW, but once mastered it ain't no thing. Pay attention, hang out with the big trucks and enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ugly? From the Rock Store to Cook's Corner to Hell's Kitchen to Neptune's I've never owned a motorcycle that attracted so much attention.

Once at the Rock store we had a $100,000+ Confederate Motorcycle on the cafe side and our two TW's parked way down the line on the "uncool" side of the road, and probably several million dollars worth of machinery in between. Guess where the crowd formed? At the Confederate, and at our Tw's.

There's something to the "speedbump" notion until you master the fine art of "space management" required to do freeway miles in SoCal on a TW, but once mastered it ain't no thing. Pay attention, hang out with the big trucks and enjoy the ride.

You happen to live in the victor valley area? Your bike in your sig may be the same one I mistook for a ural. Pretty cool scheme.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Yes, I do. We neighbors? I'm recalling a convo at a convenience store with someone who mistook it for a Ural. Mighta been you.

Not sure I'd use it for commuting up and down the hill on a daily basis, but we go anywhere we take a notion to on our own time. Down on the flats of L.A. I'd be perfectly ok with one.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Nice to find neighbors accidentally
There aren't any other TWs in my area from what I've been seeing.. a few XTs, some DR/DRZs, but no love for the little tdub.

A few points on "should I do it or not?":

* Dooooo it! But beware the sore face muscles from all the damned smiling (and if you don't do something about the seat: the other cheeks get kinda sore, too.)

* There's nothing quite like the ride on a fat tired dirt scooter.

* This is my first dual-sport, and likely not to be my last. I don't intend to get rid of it any day soon [ever?]

* The bike is good at pretty much everything, but not great at much of anything. It's a really nice compromise.

* Dooooo it! (might've already said this)

You're right, you can get the money you paid for it back out pretty easily, even if you get some good use out of it.. which is hard to say about most things.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lol small world. I wasn't the one you talked too, but did see ya turning left on 3rd. You should be seeing another t-dub around town in a week or two. Your bike is actually what changed my mind on the bike I'm buying.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
This here's TW country if ever there was one. I've pretty much parked my bigger stuff and use the TW for nearly everything.

Welcome aboard. If you choose to go with a TW let me know and we can give it a full once-over before you hit the streets.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This here's TW country if ever there was one. I've pretty much parked my bigger stuff and use the TW for nearly everything.

Welcome aboard. If you choose to go with a TW let me know and we can give it a full once-over before you hit the streets.

I might just take you up on that. I'll post some pics of it as soon as I can.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hey man, I am new here too. I wanted to add this... I have been riding a WR250f for about 3 years now. My buddies I ride with are all in love with VERY technical squirrel trails. I mean the ones where you spend more time dancing across roots (if you can)than actually on dirt. (gotta love the north cascades)So weather I like it or not I have become quite efficient on the technical trail side of riding, yet not my favorite. SO anyways, I have only had my 2001 TW for a week, I have got her out on some trails and I went to some technical climbes to find out what she is made of and... she handled it fine. As long as there is traction then she aint gonna stop bro. I was pleasently surprised. That little bike will go anywhere my WR will except not as fast. I cant wait to take it out with the boys because some of them will still be behind me and that will be a stab at their Machismo! The only thing to caution is...lack of ground clearance. I bent my rear brake lever and bent it back already. Watch those toes bra.

Anyone turning up their nose at a bike from inside a car is just insecure. Because you and I both know, they are not having as much fun as you!

Last thing. I got stuck in some traffic and I could see my turn ahead, so, I shredded the shoulder and got a quick air off of some landscape while ditching everyone else, HOORAY! Lane splitting is NOT legal in Seattle area!! Sometimes I miss living is S.F.

Love up,

Yamamont

OOOPS asorry bout the double post. frikn newbies!

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
It looks so.... unmolested

Got alittle housewarming present for ya. PM me.

·
Super Moderator
652 Posts
That's not ugly!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts