TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
wiring harness swap help!!!

I have a 87tw200 ant the wiring harness can not be repaired ... I know the 87 & 88 harnesses are different but I was wondering if some one knows how to make it work and would share it with me. If you do can you reply or pm me please!!! (BTW I got it as a project bike and it was already torn up )(I treat my bikes with respect )

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I'm not the guy with the ability to help you, but you might be able to make your own harness. I would wonder why it was torn up in the first place. The '87 models were known for the cdi going bad, and new ones are way expensive. Do some research on here for more on this. Someone with more knowledge than I will hopefully chime in with help for your '87. I have an '87 and love it. Just hope my cdi never fails.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Don"t worry. You can make your own wire loom.

Where you located?

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Are you still out there? How are you doing with wiring?

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Can you download the manual for your '87 TW? I live in Wichita, KS, so only about four hours or so from you. If you need to compare wiring, and are willing to come here, you are welcome to do so. I'm not a mechanic, so wouldn't be much help, other than to offer the example of a running bike to compare to. You probably already know that the '87 is different than the newer models. Some of us love our '87's. I know I do. Best of luck to you on this project.

·
Super Moderator
18,621 Posts
Can you download the manual for your '87 TW? I live in Wichita, KS, so only about four hours or so from you. If you need to compare wiring, and are willing to come here, you are welcome to do so. I'm not a mechanic, so wouldn't be much help, other than to offer the example of a running bike to compare to. You probably already know that the '87 is different than the newer models. Some of us love our '87's. I know I do. Best of luck to you on this project.
Tom, don't mention that the 87's were also the fastest year or every one will want one!!! It's a secret...;)

Reactions: jtomelliott49

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Gauranteed fastest, and best handling. I love mine.

Prestin, How is it going? Any luck yet? The previous owner might have had a bad cdi, thought it was something else, and cut into the wiring. Who knows. A new wiring harness, if still available, would be very expensive, so making your own would be the way to go. I think the "plugs" or connectors can be taken apart without damage if you do it right. Someone on this forum may have a harness for sale used. Place an ad on the classified section to find out.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey guys its me sorry I haven't been in in a while I re wired the harness and got it to run a drive . but I have a mother problem the exhaust looks like a two stoke with too much oil. I think it might be the gas its about 4-5 months old . does old gas smoke a lot?

·
Super Moderator
5,859 Posts
Well – the first thing you need to do is to drain the tank and fill it again with new gas.

The second thing you need to do is run it at idle for ten minutes to confirm my suspicions – because stale gas doesn’t smoke. It may “steam” a little, but not “smoke”.

If it’s still smoking after ten minutes, shut her down and run a few checks. First check is the oil level. Make sure that with the bike upright, the window in the crankcase is showing the oil level correctly. If that window is full you have too much oil in there, or possibly fuel mixed with the oil from a leaking carb raising the level.

If the oil level seems correct – check out the air filter. It’s a sponge type, and should be “damp” – but not “soaking” with oil. A little oil “if the filter is damp” helps filter out the particles, but if the filter is soaked in oil, it may be burning off in the mix.

All these things will only cost half a gallon of fuel – so check them out first and get back on here to let us know how you get on – then we’ll walk you through the next step once we have the results of these tests.

(Meanwhile – get into the habit of turning your petcock to the off position when parked) ………

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Is it blue tinted smoke or black?

Oil will give a blue tint to the smoke. Running rich will be black. White and dissipating quickly is steam/water vapor.

What's the spark plug look like right now? Post a pic if you can.

....edited to add; Also I would chain the oil and gas first, before running it again, if you haven't done so all ready. Drain the carb bowl too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah I keep updates. I will post a video of it when I get home.( I don't have a gas tank so I'm using a improvised one now)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts