TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I am completely new to hand guns. Greener than green.

I am looking for a revolver that is compact, concealable, light weight, semi weatherproof (sweatproof) and fun to shot.

Figured I go with a revolver as opposed to an auto for simplicity if that makes any since.

I am not looking for something that will take down a bear or a mountain lion just something that will change the dispostion of the weirdos I seem to be running in to lately with great regularity when out in the middle of nowhere.

It's been suggested to me that the S&W model 60 would be a good choice.

FYI: I will be taking a firearm safety/instruction class.

Comments, advice, suggestions please.

Please remember that I am greener than green and anyone posting over my head will be wasting your time.

Thanks

·
Registered
108 Posts
I own a Smith and Wesson 38. I have other handguns both semi auto and revolvers. I like the 38 for it's reliability and ease of use. I like the 642 because of it's concealed hammer and ability to shoot through a coat pocket without jamming. It's light and holds 5 158 grain rounds.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Taking some classes to the best idea and some gun ranges will let you fire the guns before you buy one.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Taking some classes to the best idea and some gun ranges will let you fire the guns before you buy one.

Zackly. Put your hands around as many different weapons as you can before buying. Lots of indoor ranges have a pretty good selection. Handguns are a sizeable investment these days.

My philosophy is that a .22 that you can actually hit things with beats the heck out of a .44mag that you can't.

·
Registered
110 Posts
'concealable' and 'fun to shoot' is a tough combination.... a 2" barrel usually isn't too rewarding when it comes to target shooting or 'plinking'...of course if it just needs to be concealed in a tank or tail bag then that opens up a world of possibilites! S&W revolvers are indeed a great choice for beginners and seasoned shots alike. .38 special is just so versatile- from mild inexpensive loads for practice and knocking down tin cans to specially designed +p defense loads. of course a good revolver (rugers are highly regarded too) is also an heirloom quality weapon, taken care of it will last a lifetime

just wondering- what kind of laws concerning 'concealed carry' either in a vehicle or on your person are you dealing with out there....?

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Concealed carry has pretty much become a non-option for most civillians here in Cali, but that's a discussion for another day. Exposed carry generally not much of an issue in wilderness, BLM lands national parks, etc. Cali has year-round hunting seasons on jackrabbits, hogs and certain predators and you can and should always assert your right to carry in these areas.

When sleeping in your vehicle, tent, camper or sleeping bag these convert to domecile, same rules as defending your home apply. Loaded carry in or on a motor vehicle in motion is illegal, and ammunition may not be attached to weapon.

Armed self defense, whether it be in Cali or any other state is shrouded in CRAP, for the most part. No matter where you live you need to make a study of what you can and can not legally do. "Home as Castle" laws have fallen by the wayside in all but a few states. You can't shoot a guy if all he's doing is stealing your stuff, for example, despite popular mythology. Even in "home as Castle" states there are defined circumstances under which lethal force can be used.

Better to have one and not need it than the other way around in the end, but going well-heeled with or without a CCW has risks. In Cali, at least, concealed carry without a CCW can cost you your right to possess or purchase a gun for life.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Concealed carry has pretty much become a non-option for most civillians here in Cali, but that's a discussion for another day. Exposed carry generally not much of an issue in wilderness, BLM lands national parks, etc. Cali has year-round hunting seasons on jackrabbits, hogs and certain predators and you can and should always assert your right to carry in these areas.

When sleeping in your vehicle, tent, camper or sleeping bag these convert to domecile, same rules as defending your home apply. Loaded carry in or on a motor vehicle is illegal, and ammunition may not be attached to weapon........

it was my understanding ca laws were pretty strict, learning them must be job #1 for any prospective shooter....

national forests are usually good options, not national parks though- they have their own whackadoodle rules....

i have a coworker who moved to colorado from san diego a couple years ago- he's still adjusting to his new found freedoms.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Oddly enough, your friend had largely the same freedoms here as he does there, on paper.

Cali's WRITTEN laws aren't all that different or more restrictive than a lot of other states.

It's the case law and misinformation that'll get ya.

BTW, national parks can no longer ban weapons.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Oddly enough, your friend had largely the same freedoms here as he does there, on paper.

Cali's WRITTEN laws aren't all that different or more restrictive than a lot of other states.

It's the case law and misinformation that'll get ya.

BTW, national parks can no longer ban weapons.

yeah, ca case law and appeals courts are notorious everywhere! luckily for us colorado doesn't have the same vehicle/firearms laws, what a pita that must be....

as far as national parks- yes, you can 'possess' a firearm in accordance with the state and local laws for the parks location, and ccw holders are allowed to carry in parks (in the state that issued the permit, and with limitations as to offices, ranger stations, etc..). actually using the firearm is still a no-no, as opposed to shooter friendly (i use that term loosely) usfs & blm. wilderness areas would normally have the same rules as the agency that oversees the particular area (typically usfs or blm, but occaisionally nps). i wonder if open carry, in states where it is legal, falls under the 'state and local law' part or the prohibition against 'brandishing' nps part of the recent law change.......? despite the media spin, the nps law change was an all-to-rare triumph of common sense through legislation!

long story short, if you're a noob with a gun looking to plink, don't waste the gas driving to a national park.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I have multiple firearms, my favorite is my Glock 27. No CCA in Il. but I would rather be judged by twelve then carried by six.

P.S. I used to carry my Colt anaconda in the stroller when I would take my twins for a stroll, turns out the pouch on the back was good for more then carrying diapers. And I can destroy campells soup can at fourty yrds with it. I am also a certified N.R.A. firearm instructor patrol rifle, handgun and shotgut certifications.

Whatever you decide on remember, never aim a firearm at something you do not wish to destroy.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Check out Taurus. They have some good little revolvers in .38. They're fairly inexpensive and pretty good quality. They have light weight and hammerless versions too.

If your getting a .38, choose some serrated hollow point bullets for self defense so your sure to tear a big hole. Solid point 38's are just hole punchers.

If your choose a .357 you can still shoot 38's in it. Both are fairly mild to shoot.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
All my guns were on the sailboat my brother borrowed and sank. honest.

I'll agree that you should take some lessons before buying. Do some rentals and buy what feels best to you.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hey trout, I was looking for a small revolver a few months ago and am very happy with my purchase of a Ruger LCR in .38 special.

Totally agree, light weight, adequate for the intended use. I generally carry mine when riding on trails. If you are new to pistols consider getting one with the laser grips, certainly makes aiming much more certain, plus the laser will scare the heck out of anyone you might need to confront, much the same effect as chambering a round in a 12 gauge.

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
Most of the time I take the .357, for that "just in case" moment I keep anticipating. Sometimes I wear it on my belt, and sometimes it's parked in one of the beverage holders on my tank bags. It's older so kinda heavy, which is why I don't wear it on the belt much. Thinking of a shoulder holster, but don't want to conceal until I get a permit to do so.

I would love to get one of those "Judge" hand guns that chamber .45 colt and .410 shotgun. If that "just in case" moment arrived, with .410 chambered, I could point in the general direction...with my eyes closed of course. But in the end, the "finance minister" says there's more important things to use our funding for, like braces for the kids, vacations, and tires for the car!

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
The "Judge" is an expensive gimmick. the .410 is a waste as a defense round, at any distance over 10 feet because the short, rifled barrel is going to spin the shot charge and sling what little lead in the shell every which-a-way and very little will hit the target. So, you load 45 Colts behind the .410s, right? Well, that would work if there wasn't so much gap between the brass and the forcing cone in the barrel, which makes the Judge's accuracy very, very sloppy for a modern revolver. You can buy a Ruger in 44 Magnum for the same money, load it with Magsafe, and have all the stopping power of a .410.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have been a federal weapons instructor and tactical instructor for 27 years. A lot depends on the size of your hand. The 60 is a good weapon, but with the smallish grips a 357 round can bite or sting pretty bad. A .38 special fired out of the same gun won't bite as much, but also doesn't have quite the same knock down power. My recommendation for most new shooters is a Ruger GP 100 in .357. Carry .357 hollow points, like a Remington Golden Sabre and practice with the .38 special. Watch using lead bullets for practice, while they're inexpensive they will foul, or fill up your lands and grooves inside the barrel causing the weapon to becoome inaccurate. If you use lead to practice with, get a good stainless steel bore brush to clean with. Or, just fire jacketed rounds

·
Registered
369 Posts
I only use KG products for cleaning my firearms. My hawkeye borescope tells the tail of a properly cleaned weapon, Brownells is one of my best friends.

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
Another of my dreams squashed! Guess I should just refrain from posting anything.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts