TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been putting some around town miles on the TW this month commuting a few miles to work. Being new to the dirt bike scene and riding on the street with cars has taken some getting used to. I'm definitely getting a lot more confident in traffic and an learning the mule, great fun!

On to my issue; The bike is too loud, period. It has an aftermarket DG and it really does sound great "if" you like thumpy and loud. I'm fine with this unless I want to hit the back trails and places where not a lot of people venture. In this exploration I don't want a loud motorcycle. I've done plenty of exploring on a mountain bike, but I'm liking the twist of throttle to get further and explore more.

2 questions. Should I get the DG "quiet insert" and re-jet as needed, or should I go back to a stock pipe?......or are these little mules just high on db levels?

·
Registered
809 Posts
The DG was so loud it made me laugh that a lil motor like that could make such noise! I put in the quiet insert and am very comfie with the sound now. I also feel there was a good "pop" in seat feel power with DG, freer flowing filter and re jet.

·
Super Moderator
4,690 Posts
Open DG – loud
Quiet core DG – half as loud
Stock pipe – much better

There’s no comparison between the “quiet” DG and stock – I’ve tried them both – if you’re after a sound that wouldn’t startle a wild pony, go for stock …..

·
Registered
19,194 Posts
I would say trade someone your DG for a stock muffler. If you ride with others they will appreciate not getting hit in face anymore with the DG's obnoxious puffs of effluent due to a lack of a downturned exhaust tip. The DG is a competition pipe so if you have a competitive attitude of "Screw you, I am ahead of you and that is all that counts, here eat my exhaust" then keep it and be obnoxious hoping others will keep their distance behind you. Personally I like the stock pipe's ability to permit conversations with a rider beside you at low throttle settings while on the move, very socially responsible when in a group.
I have ridden a few others members TWs with the DG and never noticed a significant performance gain that accompanies the dB gain. However others may disagree and see a favorable cost/benefit analysis for the DG that I don't.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah! I want to be that too....responsible AND conscious of others. I've transitioned from kid to adult on the loud and obnoxious side of things. There's a time and place for everything, including loud, but not on trails and back roads. At the drag strip, give me loud and obnoxious please!

Looks like going back to a stock setup may be the answer. Anyone looking for a nice DG pipe?...........or does anyone have a stock exhaust for sale?

I would say trade someone your DG for a stock muffler. If you ride with others they will appreciate not getting hit in face anymore with the DG's obnoxious puffs of effluent due to a lack of a downturned exhaust tip. The DG is a competition pipe so if you have a competitive attitude of "Screw you, I am ahead of you and that is all that counts, here eat my exhaust" then keep it and be obnoxious hoping others will keep their distance behind you. Personally I like the stock pipe's ability to permit conversations with a rider beside you at low throttle settings while on the move, very socially responsible when in a group.
I have ridden a few others members TWs with the DG and never noticed a significant performance gain that accompanies the dB gain. However others may disagree and see a favorable cost/benefit analysis for the DG that I don't.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Yeah! I want to be that too....responsible AND conscious of others. I've transitioned from kid to adult on the loud and obnoxious side of things. There's a time and place for everything, including loud, but not on trails and back roads. At the drag strip, give me loud and obnoxious please!

Looks like going back to a stock setup may be the answer. Anyone looking for a nice DG pipe?...........or does anyone have a stock exhaust for sale?

I wouldn’t be opposed to trading my stock exhaust for the DG,

Still in decent condition? Is it compatible with all years? I have a 2019 TW

Fee free to send me a message on here.

·
Registered
19,194 Posts
Trade plus some money, or have DG buyer pick up both shipping costs. There likely is more demand for the stock-to-DG swap than the DG-to-stock swap. Thus supply and demand market considerations means somewhat of a seller's market for ibdavid.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Trade plus some money, or have DG buyer pick up both shipping costs. There likely is more demand for the stock-to-DG swap than the DG-to-stock swap. Thus supply and demand market considerations means somewhat of a seller's market for ibdavid.
I’d agree for folks with older bikes trying to trade up. But a 2019 with 600+ miles on it... that’s like a retail difference from the DG of like 30 bucks (bikebandit oem TW muffler - $259 on sale).

But I’m a pro-capitalism guy, I say go for it if he wants to make some extra money on it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For the record, my TW has a whopping 1200 miles on it. The DG pipe looks brand spankin' new. It actually looks and sounds great, just too loud for the intended application.

Blake, problem is we'd both be without a bike for a while. Not looking to cash out on a muffler deal, just want quiet..er.

·
Registered
306 Posts
For the record, my TW has a whopping 1200 miles on it. The DG pipe looks brand spankin' new. It actually looks and sounds great, just too loud for the intended application.

Blake, problem is we'd both be without a bike for a while. Not looking to cash out on a muffler deal, just want quiet..er.
Nahhhhh... just run it straight pipe and get some noise cancelling headphones! Lol

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
I'm confused/slow/not understanding etc.

I think someone offered to trade a stock muffler for you're DG. If this is not the case I will trade a stock TW muffler for your DG. I'll buy a quiet core insert for it when I get it. PM me if you want to deal. I can send you a stock muffler before you take yours off so you can keep riding it and waking up the neighbors. Just let me know as all I'm trying to do is help shut you up! haha!:p

·
Registered
306 Posts
I'm confused/slow/not understanding etc.

I think someone offered to trade a stock muffler for you're DG. If this is not the case I will trade a stock TW muffler for your DG. I'll buy a quiet core insert for it when I get it. PM me if you want to deal. I can send you a stock muffler before you take yours off so you can keep riding it and waking up the neighbors. Just let me know as all I'm trying to do is help shut you up! haha!
Don’t be confused admiral, you might wanna hit him up now...I offered to trade him my stock muffler, but just got told by work I’m traveling in the morning. So I can’t exactly say when I’m gonna have a chance to take my muffler off and stop by UPS.

You should hit him up.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you for all the heart felt responses. :)

I did pose the question how well the DG quiet inserts work.

Here's where I stand with the whole deal. The stock pipe looks hideous, and prefer the look of the DG, it looks like a high quality build. That said, when it comes down to it, I'm more than annoyed by the sound. I want a back road putter that is quiet, period. I'll sacrifice looks for function any day.

Problem still not solved. I'd consider buying a stock pipe if anyone has one "laying around".

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Thank you for all the heart felt responses. :)

I did pose the question how well the DG quiet inserts work.

Here's where I stand with the whole deal. The stock pipe looks hideous, and prefer the look of the DG, it looks like a high quality build. That said, when it comes down to it, I'm more than annoyed by the sound. I want a back road putter that is quiet, period. I'll sacrifice looks for function any day.

Problem still not solved. I'd consider buying a stock pipe if anyone has one "laying around".
Now you have me cornfused! Admiral offered a good stock system sent to you first so you could do the swap and then send the DG to him. That sounds like what you are asking for. Me personally, I would not want the DG unless I was building a strictly off road dirt bike and willing to play with the carb jetting to get it right. Given a choice side by side of a brand new DG and brand new OEM stock muffler I will take the stock one all day long. With the stocker you can also quiet it a bit more with a 45 degree elbow so the sound goes down to ground a little more and it does change the tunes a bit more.

GaryL

·
Registered
194 Posts
If I lived rural, I most likely would have a loud-er exhaust, but in this day and age, people work different schedules. So yeah, 2pm for you might be 2am for someone else. Not trying to be a joy-killer, just considerate.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Yeah I'm about ready to introduce my neighbor to the plow truck with his GD loud Harley at 5 am. Let alone his kid with the fart muffler Geo Tracker and window rattling stereo. Just because we live way out in the woods. Doesn't mean I want to hear their crap that early almost every fricken morning.

I'd rather have a quiet bike I can sneak around with. All that racket isn't worth the money and maybe 1 HP. It's not cool sounding to 95% of us.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Also, if I'm not mistaken, in the US, there have been trail closures due to overly excessive noise emitted by off-road power sports. I'm guessing that very few people are impressed with loud exhausts.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
I don't enjoy being a Debbie Downer either but must say I get a bit aggravated with some of these overly loud bikes. My house is just off a very popular MC route heading over to the route 97 Hawks Nest along the Delaware River. On any nice weekend day I could easily count well over 300-500 bikes, usually in large groups pass by my house. They don't bother me at all and most are either big cruiser types or sport type bikes with stock exhausts. Then all of a sudden I can hear them coming from over a mile away a group of rat type, usually big Hogs or chopper types with straight pipes. I have no idea how in hell these riders can stand it without noise cancelling headphones as ear protection. These are actually louder than the big rig dump trucks coming down the mountain on their Jake Brakes or even when a helicopter flies over the house low. When I hear 20-30 big Harley Cruisers coming it is a bit noisy but only because there are 30 of them all in line which is perfectly acceptable. When I hear a group of 4-5 sport bikes blow by at 100+ MPH it is also pretty noisy but only for a few minutes. I have 2 or 3 Chopper bikes that go by all the time with their straight pipes and no mufflers at all and I can't understand why they don't get tickets for the extreme noise that could not possibly pass any sound decibel check. TWs that are stock are actually quite loud to begin with and if I am out front when one is coming I can immediately tell it is either a TW or XT 225/250 just from their distinct sound that is music to my ears.

GaryL

1 - 20 of 25 Posts