TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my 70's and wife wanted me to quit riding so I sold my last TW - not dead yet and need something thumping between my legs so I just bought a 2019....trouble is I cant load onto my Versarack alone. Any suggestions for a rack a senior citizen can load

Thanks for your thoughts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Try a search on Amazon or Camping World ...there are nearly a dozen that should do the trick....

I think they all require some simple assembly …..fit a 2" hitch....they are priced between $150 - $250 and have detachable loading ramps.....the buyer's reviews can be useful...….now....

I was 70 ten years ago and I can use them....take a look at the Black Widow series.. they are kind of wobbly but a couple adjustable straps can firm them up ..If you also intend to tow something, there are racks that allow that..

By the way, I made the same mistake and sold my bikes because I was too old to ride.... last year I bought two TWs and had a absolute ball riding..... carefully..... on mostly dirt roads with little or no traffic...live life anchor up...

You might even try Craig's List for a used one.....you might find one at a estate sale from someone who was too old to ride !!

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I think he has problems by himself loading it onto the rack he already has (meaning that type does not work for him).

There are a couple of styles (one no longer made; but you might find used) that fit in the hitch and then raise up.

If others don't jump in; send a PM to "FRED" who has one.

·
Registered
20,488 Posts
All these carriers require a little effort to load and then secure the TW.
If Mystic Explorer's difficulty lies with pushing bike up and onto the Versarack then clever parking with rear haul vehicle's tires in a depression can lower the versa rack's ramp angle. However bike then needs to be steadied until restrained so it does not fall over. Parking with a small hill or elevation under the Versarack can also lower ramp angle bike needs to be pushed up, and bike may then want to lean into, rather than off of haul vehicle.
The hydraulic lift type carrier old/?? refers to have their own minor complications. The TW does not have great ground clearance beneath the skid plate so getting bike onto the load platform can be an issue on tall vehicles. Should not be an issue if receiver hitch is not over about a foot from ground. Once bike is on the lowered load platform securing it with the foot peg clamps is straightforward and very secure. Jacking load platform with bike attached is then not too difficult. The lever on the hydraulic jack may be lengthened for more leverage and thus less pumping effort.
One benefit of my MotoJack hydraulic lift is that bike has little opportunity to fall over during load and unload phases, unlike my old ramp style carrier like the Versarack. Bike becomes securely clamped to carrier at ground level, and the load platform holds bike safely while this clamping occurs. Very Safe for solo operation. Very safe on side hills and slopes too, unlike conventional ramp style carriers.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I have played with the idea of incorporating the moto Jack method with a rail type of hauler. My idea is to be able to lower the rail to the ground, strap the bike down, and then raise the bike and rail via a jack, maybe even and electric jack. What do you think Fred?

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Where do you live Mystic? I built a carrier in just a few hours. It is the width of my Ranger pickup and about 3ft from the bumper to the end. I put a screen for the bottom and chain links for tie down eyes. Also put a set of lights on the rear so putting a bike on doesn't block out rear lighting. If you are close wouldn't take much to fix you up.

·
Registered
20,488 Posts
I have played with the idea of incorporating the moto Jack method with a rail type of hauler. My idea is to be able to lower the rail to the ground, strap the bike down, and then raise the bike and rail via a jack, maybe even and electric jack. What do you think Fred?
For packaging and clearance considerations I would consider using a 12V linear actuator driving a rotating cam to do the lifting rather than the 4-bar linkage and hydraulic jack of the MotoJack...I saw something similar for a wheel chair lift and was impressed.

Reactions: joeband and Ken

·
Registered
435 Posts
2017-08-24 001 001.jpg 2017-08-24 001 002.jpg

I have this 4 sale works great for the TDub with the wide track, I'm 70+ and have no trouble loading with the long ramp. The locking wheel chock really helps. $200. Where are you?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the same problem. My Tundra has a 4” lift on it so getting my TW up on my hitch carrier is extremely hard by myself . I am 6’ 185lb and I still ask my wife for help if I need to load it and she’s around, haha- 2 people it’s a piece of cake. I’m currently looking for a small cheap ramp to make it a little more feasible because the “ramp” that came with the hitch carrier is about 30” long making it >45deg angle.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
i was having trouble loading my TW by myself also. after i sold my TW and bought a xt225, i have no trouble loading by myself. those wide tires make it hard to load. a wider rack will make it much easier. that set up that Tuna has looks good, nice and wide and a long ramp

·
Registered
42 Posts
I bought a hitch mounted rack from Harbor Freight. It's aluminum and steel so not too heavy. Love it. Works great when I'm hauling my TW with my Jeep. If I take my pick up I have a wider aluminum ramp. The hitch mount is much faster and easier all the way around. I do feel safer when it's in my pick up bed. When on the back of the jeep I'm looking in the mirror every few minutes lol.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just curios what kind of Jeep are you using- is it a wrangler? Was just wondering because I have a wrangler too and was curious if the hitch carrier would even work with the spare tire back there and all. I didn’t think I would have enough room but was going to test it next time I have the carrier out.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I used a hitch rack on a CJ5....a couple TJs..... and a couple JKs....two doors....with a stock spare tire...just had to maneuver a bit but then lashed them to the rack and the spare....made several 7000 mile trips to Alaska towing the Jeep/TW behind a Motorhome... it has been a few years but I don't recall any damage to the bikes or the jeeps.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just curios what kind of Jeep are you using- is it a wrangler? Was just wondering because I have a wrangler too and was curious if the hitch carrier would even work with the spare tire back there and all. I didn’t think I would have enough room but was going to test it next time I have the carrier out.
. I have a 2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited. I have a slightly oversized tires but no suspension lift. Very easy to load on and off and you don't know the bike is back there going down the road. I use 3 straps - 2 holding the bike in place and 1 making sure the rear wheel doesn't move around. The front tire fits great in the grove and the rack has clamps to lock it in place. Also the Harbor Freight rack has more than enough to clear the spare.

·
Registered
75 Posts
i know you said hitch carrier but i have had one and didnt really like it i have since found a Kendon trailer and it makes loading and towing a breeze

·
Registered
11 Posts
That’s good to know, I have a very similar setup, 2017 jk 2door stock suspension but 33-34” tires. I have the newer model harbor freight carrier probably same one you have and was concerned with handlebars not clearing the spare, but now I am def looking forward to giving it a try, because I know the Jeep hitch is considerably lower than my trucks. Thanks for the input.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,798 Posts
That’s good to know, I have a very similar setup, 2017 jk 2door stock suspension but 33-34” tires. I have the newer model harbor freight carrier probably same one you have and was concerned with handlebars not clearing the spare, but now I am def looking forward to giving it a try, because I know the Jeep hitch is considerably lower than my trucks. Thanks for the input.
I used a hitch carrier on our 2009 Wrangler. With just the weight of the TW the rear end of the Jeep squatted considerably. Handling of the Jeep on the road with the TW on the hitch carrier it handled horrible and was very squirrely with all the weight on the rear. I didn't use it again and would use my trailer instead when hauling the TW.

I'm not dissuading you from trying, I'm just letting you know of my experience. I did use my hitch carrier with TW all the time on my 2002 Jeep Liberty without any issues. Just don't jerk on the steering wheel. The suspension on the Liberty didn't squat nearly as bad as the Wrangler.

On back of the Liberty.

·
Registered
20,488 Posts
If you want to think outside the box there are several styles that act as pivoting frame extensions with one degree of freedom rather than a conventional trailer's two degree of freedom ball hitch. This allows worry free backing up as well as not adding much load to rear suspension.
Two major cases, one like the Swivel Wheel featuring one or two castor wheels and then the other is like the Idaho Tote where a steerable axle resides under the load platform. swivel wheel.jpg idaho tote.jpg

There used to be many swivel wheel style manufactures but they are rare now, I had a Sears model as a starving college student and hauled many an odd object successfully. A similar smaller, lighter model is the Joetrailer2 joetrailer2.jpg

Any of the hitch carrier styles really benefit from a quality hitch tightener, especially the Harbor Freight aluminum model whose aluminum saddle that mates to the 2" receiver tube is subject to fatigue failure if flexure is permitted...I have seen one of these crack from an owner who just threw it on and used it without eliminating the slop.

Reactions: admiral
1 - 20 of 28 Posts