TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm looking to customise my TW after seeing a customised one on another bike forum and am looking for some advice to see how challenging it will be.

I have a 2003 TW 125 and I want it to look like this at the end

Yamaha TW Streetacke; the 3 of 7 picture

[media]http://motoroloselhongomexicali.blogspot.ie/2010/08/yamahas.html[/media]

I can see the frame will need some slight cutting behind the saddle and some fabrication for the back mud guard.

How much work do people think it will be ?

Especially the lowering of the back end ?

Cheers,

Morgan from Dublin.

PS How do you insert pictures ? Found it impossible

·
Registered
13,236 Posts

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Actually the frame work on that bike is fairly limited. It's hard to pick out the details of the shock and maybe there's a means of limiting its travel but it appears to have been lowered so far that IMO the functioning shock is just a hazard. It may allow an inch or two of suspension before the fender hits the seat, but the same look could be duplicated with a rigid strut, the subframe sawn off and the rear fender bolted to the now-immoveable swingarm.

You could duplicate it quite easily in simplest form or give it a more finished look with just a bit more effort. From a cost standpoint it involves a piece of solid pipe to replace the rear shock and what appears to be a shortened knockoff of a ribbed early Triumph fender.

In terms of hard parts there's not much more to the overall "look" of the bike other than the tank (70's Yamaha MX and street Enduros), exhaust and handlebars. The rest of it is mostly subtraction (removal of mirrors, lights, front fender, etc.). It looks as if it has had its stock airbox skeletonized down to only the battery box, but again hard to see in the pics. You could do any single part of it over time without putting the bike out of commission, or do it all in a weekend once all the parts were gathered in one place.

The Firestone Deluxe Champion front tires are being reproduced by Coker Tire here in The States. You may be able to source them over there as well.

http://www.cokertire.com/motorcycle/450-18-firestone-deluxe-champion-blackwall-tire.html

·
Registered
793 Posts
Hi All,

I'm looking to customise my TW after seeing a customised one on another bike forum and am looking for some advice to see how challenging it will be.

I have a 2003 TW 125 and I want it to look like this at the end

Yamaha TW Streetacke; the 3 of 7 picture

[media]http://motoroloselhongomexicali.blogspot.ie/2010/08/yamahas.html[/media]

I can see the frame will need some slight cutting behind the saddle and some fabrication for the back mud guard.

How much work do people think it will be ?

Especially the lowering of the back end ?

Cheers,

Morgan from Dublin.

PS How do you insert pictures ? Found it impossible

I got a TW book when I went back home to Japan and brought it back. They have all the parts ever made for a TW in Japan in it. Its just a piece of metal from where you mount the front of the seat to the bottom of the gas tank. You could fab it up easy. Its your choice to either just bolt it on or weld it. They cut the sub frame off but that is up to you to eye ball it to whatever length you want to cut off. easy stuff

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
The bike pictured wears a vintage Firestone copy up front.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
[quote name='lizrdbrth' date='30 October 2012 - 03:41 PM' timestamp='1351629669' post='60017']

Actually the frame work on that bike is fairly limited. It's hard to pick out the details of the shock and maybe there's a means of limiting its travel but it appears to have been lowered so far that IMO the functioning shock is just a hazard. It may allow an inch or two of suspension before the fender hits the seat, but the same look could be duplicated with a rigid strut, the subframe sawn off and the rear fender bolted to the now-immoveable swingarm..........

Cheers lizrdbrth, thats all great stuff.

I have a mate whose done a few bikes up and he's helping me so between the two of us that sounds all very achievable.

I start putting up some pics to show how progress is going once all the parts have been assembled.

Already sourced the kick starter from Bayarea Yamaha off another post on the forum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got a TW book when I went back home to Japan and brought it back. They have all the parts ever made for a TW in Japan in it. Its just a piece of metal from where you mount the front of the seat to the bottom of the gas tank. You could fab it up easy. Its your choice to either just bolt it on or weld it. They cut the sub frame off but that is up to you to eye ball it to whatever length you want to cut off. easy stuff

What's the book called ?

If possible can you send me the ISBN Number off it or a photo of the bar code and I'll see if I can source it.

Cheers.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Check '70's DT250, DT360 and DT400 tanks if you want to duplicate his.

A word of advice about the tanks. Hold out for the most pristine, rust-free example you can find, even if costs you dearly. These tanks are pretty old by now and there is nothing worse than investing in custom paint only to have the tank seams leak or the tank develop pinholes a few months down the road.

The muffler part of the exhaust is simply a reverse megaphone. You should be able to find buckets of them lying around in pairs from early Brit bikes. One thing I really like about that bike is that the bend of the header pipe appears to follow the angle of the front downtube rather than jutting straight down and looking like an afterthought. There probably isn't a lot of money in that bike, but attention to minor details like that go a long way toward pulling off the "look".

Another cheap trick we used to employ in the drum brake days is swapping the clutch and front brake perches side-to-side, with the mirror sockets facing down. This makes the topside of the bars look a bit cleaner and some sort of token mirror (even the stocker) can be slung underneath from one or the other to satisfy the gendarmes.

Also, if you're tempted to drill "speed holes" in your levers as he has done limit them to the very outter 1/3 of the ends of the levers. They WILL eventually break off at the holes and if you've gone too far inboard you'll have no stub to grab onto when they do. For that matter give any bracket, brake arm or functional item you're about to drill cosmetic holes into careful scrutiny beforehand regarding its ultimate function. You can't un-drill a hole.

Don't axe me how I know dat

·
Registered
793 Posts
What's the book called ?

If possible can you send me the ISBN Number off it or a photo of the bar code and I'll see if I can source it.

Cheers.
There are numerous TW custom books. This one is called Hajimete no Yamaha TW = My first Yamaha TW. The ISBN Number is ISBN978-4-88393. There is a magazine in Japan called Burning custom. It has alot of stuff monthly you could use as ideas. Here is the Facebook link Burning Custom

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'm with lizrdbrth on the suspension. Personally I'd keep the shock and find a low seat for it like the pic shows. For the rear fender... take a look at the rear fender on my bike. My bike is a fair bit like the one in the picture... tho I'm going in a bit different direction. I'm getting a longer swingarm on my ride, I'll have to find another way to mount my rear fender when I do put a longer swingarm on

http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l588/tyzardoz/STP60213.jpg

I'm still looking for a seat, I have a rear seat from some unknown donor bike but would like something a little nicer. I gotta think that thin little seat on the bike in Japan... well I think that's gonna get old fast... but that's just me maybe. I broke my back years ago so I look for as much comfort as I can find and what I find comfortable some others might not

Good luck on your build! Little bikes are a great way to get creative for reasonable money IMHO. I have my TW that the missus refers to as "beauty" and I have an 87 CBX 250 that she calls "beast" (because it's not exactly pretty right now.. http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l588/tyzardoz/1987CBX250_zpsbdcc99f6.jpg ).

LMAO!!! This is too dam funny!!! I just noticed your name... MY bike has a custom stencil on it's oil bag... it's called "Morgans Toy" . The guy I bought it from was named Morgan.

z

1 - 12 of 12 Posts