TW200 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI EVERYONE, IM JUST GOING STRAIGHT TO THE POINT AND NOT BORE YOU WITH MY STORY. IM TURNING MY BIKE INTO AN OFF-ROAD ONLY TW AND I THINK I MADE A MISTAKE BY NOT PAYING DMV REGISTRATION OR PUTTING IT ON NON OP. ANYWAY, HOW DO I GIVE UP THE TITLE SO I DO NOT HAVE TO REGISTER IT AT ALL? SAY IT WAS TOTALED OR BLEW UP THE MOTOR FOR INSTANCE. MY FRIEND TOLD ME THAT THE FEES AND PENALTIES WILL GET BIGGER AND WHEN I RENEW MY DRIVERS LICENSE (NOT REGISTRATION)THAT I HAVE TO PAY THE THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS TO BE ABLE TO RENEW IT. I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO, I TRIED TO CALL OUR LOCAL DMV BUT THE DONT ANSWER CALLS.. HELP?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK THANKS, I MADE AN APPOINTMENT FOR FRIDAY AT 10. IM GONNA TRY FOR A GREEN STICKER.WE WILL SEE WHAT HAPPENS..

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got my green sticker!! I was in and out in 15 min with the appointment!

Here's how it went:

1st - paid $58 for NON-OP plus penalties for past due registration.

2nd - paid another $50 for green sticker OHV registration good for two years.

3rd - went home happy, tried to stick green sticker on left fork (per DMV instructions) found out it does not stick to our forks. ended up sticking it on the tank.

notes:i DON'T have to pay NON-OP every year as long as i pay the green sticker OHV every two years.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I got my green sticker!! I was in and out in 15 min with the appointment!

Here's how it went:

1st - paid $58 for NON-OP plus penalties for past due registration.

2nd - paid another $50 for green sticker OHV registration good for two years.

3rd - went home happy, tried to stick green sticker on left fork (per DMV instructions) found out it does not stick to our forks. ended up sticking it on the tank.

notes:i DON'T have to pay NON-OP every year as long as i pay the green sticker OHV every two years.

Cool! Nice to know that the system does work, usually.

Of course you don't have to pay for non-operating if you are operating it... even if it is just off highway.

Now it's time to go have fun!!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Not to be a downer but before taking the plunge to making your TW off-road only (green sticker) I would recommend you find-out what the back fees will be on your bike. You can do this on the DMV's website, all you'll need is the license plate number and maybe the VIN number. There is really no way it can be in the thousands, there is a limit on how high the fees can be and if it hasn't been registered in the past 10 years your golden, it won't be in their system at all! No back-fee's or penalties. Going the green sticker route the DMV will still want to their back fee's. By the way these back fee's will NOT in any way effect your driving license; you can still renew your driving license if you have a non-registered or un-registered vehicle in your name.

Another argument against going green sticker (off-road use only) is it will kill your re-sale value since once it has been registered off-road only you can NEVER change it back to on-road, thus limiting your pool of potential buyers in the future. It will also limit by a large amount where you can ride. Green stickered vehicles can not ride on fire roads in the mountains or on the dirt roads in most (if not all) of the state parks in the state.

It sounds like you've gotten some bad information, if you would like PM me and I will be happy to help you navigate the mess which is the CA DMV. I have played this game many times and know at least most of the in's and out's of the system.

Kevin

1 - 9 of 9 Posts